Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

Nulzy wrote: »
    Any repeats out there know about using last years score?

Hpat website says :

A If you sat HPAT – Ireland in 2011 and wish to use your 2010 score to apply for admission in 2011, you must send a copy of your 2010 Statement of Results to the CAO when submitting your application. Alternatively your most recent score will be used.

I'm still not sure does this mean I should have send a statement of results when I applied before the closing date????:'(

No if your last years score was higher then this year then you need to go onto your cao website and it will have a special area for hpat scores and I think you can chose between two candidate numbers with 2 different scores. I dont think its up on the cao yet because went to check a couple of hours ago and wasnt up!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭portcrap

what are the chances of a 552 LC (560 points) & 162 HPAT total of 714 points, of getting a place? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kellogskelly

Think this sudden rise in hpat scores will dramatically increase the required points? Despite a decrease in applicants?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Heatproof

Guys can a bad headache the morning of the Hpat affect your results?... I only got 140 and I'm devastated. I didn't get much sleep the night before the Hpat due to nerves, to be honest I'm totally lost at the moment. Can I get some advice first on the headache thing and what I should do next seeing as I'm pretty sure I got like 560 in the LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Heatproof wrote: »
    Guys can a bad headache the morning of the Hpat affect your results?... I only got 140 and I'm devastated. I didn't get much sleep the night before the Hpat due to nerves, to be honest I'm totally lost at the moment. Can I get some advice first on the headache thing and what I should do next seeing as I'm pretty sure I got like 560 in the LC

Hey Buddy. Unfortunately they dont take any excuses. What you get is what you get. I got 150 and like you I'm devastated. I kind of expected it but in the last moments I was starting to believe that I was wrong.

Congrats to all of you who did so well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

Heatproof wrote: »

I'm in the same boat as you.. I had one hours sleep, no breakfast and a panic attack in the exam hall.. felt like I was about to pass out during the whole thing. I got 138 :/ I'm devastated too.. I have no idea what to do with myself now.
    Maybe you should do a hpat course and repeat it next year?
    I think that's what I'll do, since I think I'm going to be repeating the leaving... unless I change my mind before then.
    But if you do get 560, you could not bother repeating the leaving and do another one year course in a college of further education in like anatomy/biology while you're preparing for the hpat, just so you're not bored all year and it would be productive.. and there'd be no point in starting a year in college if that's not what you really want, plus you'd be wasting your free fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

k.stewart wrote: »
    Wow!:)
    Did you do a preparation course or repeat it?
    Or was that your first go?

Yeah first go, but did a prep course. Which defo helped I'd say. Not as much as strokes of luck in picking the right answers on the day. I'd say I could do that test again a hundred times and never get as high.

Which really defeats the purpose of the system I guess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Think this sudden rise in hpat scores will dramatically increase the required points? Despite a decrease in applicants?

Dunno, good question :/

It's still hard to envisage any jump like last years jump, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Note that I said "I *think* ...".

We'll wait until someone tries it in practice to be sure! ;)
    I emailed the CAO and they said it was fine. I did it myself, so there weren't any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Allie79

Got 243 - absolutely delighted with that but I got rejected (mature student) - gives me high hopes for next year though - just need to work on my application!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 verbatim92

Allie79 wrote: »
    Got 243 - absolutely delighted with that but I got rejected (mature student) - gives me high hopes for next year though - just need to work on my application!

fair play if you got that it is unreal for a score. However, and no offence meant, I am not sure if i believe the top score would have jumped by 20+ though to be honest!
    GAMSAT you are talking about maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

151 just. devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anna_k

im fairly devestated.....looks like im doing engineering next year now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Allie79

Only sat the HPAT, not the Gamsat, didn't quite believe it myself but the ACER score and the CAO website say the same and the bit I did really well in was the middle section so that feels right to me. Still hasn't quite sunken in, was really hoping to score 180!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Hey guys, I'm a little confused about this and was wondering if someone could clarify. When we add up the scores, are we aiming to get 730 or in and around?
    I'm just not sure how people know they can get a place considering we don't know what the points are? Thanks.
    I got 169 first attempt this year and if the mocks are anything to go by should get 550 ish......is it ok?

Thanks if anyone can help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

Is there a rise in the standard?? How do you know?

Technically, that shouldn't affect anything. Say you got 180 and were 90 percentile last year and got 190 this year and that is also 90 percentile...the points may go up but it wont change what you need in the LC. The extra hpat points will match the points rise so getting the same percentile rank is a better indication of how you did. It's really the percentile rank that matters bcos you're in competition with the rest of the country ..yada yada..

Odd logic and probably no help :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kellogskelly

YodaBoy wrote: »
    Is there a rise in the standard?? How do you know?
    cas this year people seem to be getting a lower percentile for the same mark compared with last year... i think! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I'm just glad I'm done with this HPAT ****, I'll happily stroll into graduate med or pharmacy in 4 years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MedMan101

185 and 87th percentile!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Gyaradose wrote: »
    I was getting 230 points in or around that in the trial hpats and thought I did good in the actual one. Of course when I checked my results just there I burst into tears when i see I got 155 points and in the 43rd percentile.

I don't know how bad that went for me, how could i drop nearly 80 points from both the official practise test?? And I have an IQ of 140 how did I do below average?? Our school guidance councelor gave my class an intelligence test and I scored into the 90th percentile. I'm only 16 and did a **** leaving cert too. Looks like I'm gonna have to repeat, which is something I am going to hate, I was dead set on medicine.

the questions in the real thing are weighted, which both helped and f*cked over a lot of people, i imagine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Gyaradose

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    the questions in the real thing are weighted, which both helped and f*cked over a lot of people, i imagine

How could it f*ck me over so badly then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MedMan101

Gyaradose wrote: »
    I was getting 230 points in or around that in the trial hpats and thought I did good in the actual one. Of course when I checked my results just there I burst into tears when i see I got 155 points and in the 43rd percentile.

I don't know how bad that went for me, how could i drop nearly 80 points from both the official practise test?? And I have an IQ of 140 how did I do below average?? Our school guidance councelor gave my class an intelligence test and I scored into the 90th percentile. I'm only 16 and did a **** leaving cert too. Looks like I'm gonna have to repeat, which is something I am going to hate, I was dead set on medicine.

vain much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 med head

ok i really amn't up to date with this whole hpat stuff but i got 590 in my mocks and ive a hpat score of 166 what are my chances like this year?

If i don't get it is that hpat score good enough to justify doing a science course and repeating the hpat to then skip pre med?
    realistically am i capable of med or am i way off and should i just forget about it altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 shunter07

hey guys. just got my score there and i reckon combined with the lc it wont be enough this year! ah well. i am prepared to repeat though but i am wondering does anyone know the pathway courses i could put down on my cao as 6th to 10th choice? i have biomed in ucd and galway but is there more??

kate.m wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm a little confused about this and was wondering if someone could clarify. When we add up the scores, are we aiming to get 730 or in and around?
    I'm just not sure how people know they can get a place considering we don't know what the points are? Thanks.
    I got 169 first attempt this year and if the mocks are anything to go by should get 550 ish......is it ok?

Thanks if anyone can help!

Hey yeah the whole 730 thing seems to be a really good score if you are applying to all med schools because the lowest last year was less then 720! The thing is that its hard to see the points jumping up more then say 5 or so because you have to bare in mind the system of the ensure that you can get in on less then 560 points on your leaving cert.

At 169 and 550 points your at 719 which is a possibility for the likes of RCSI and Galway.

People saying they've got it are only speculating based on last years points....

best of luck anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

Delighted with 190 , 91st%ile!! Wasn't expecting anything near that!!

Probably doesn't help my situation though..pretty sure I didn't get the 540/550 I'll need and have to try and bring down my family's expectations...i get the feeling they think the points are taken for granted. I'd say I got too many A2s and B1s and the points difference between that and A1s is crucial :L

Really don't know what to do. Revel in the hpat or start worrying again over a dream i had just given up on :(

med head wrote: »
    ok i really amn't up to date with this whole hpat stuff but i got 590 in my mocks and ive a hpat score of 166 what are my chances like this year?

If i don't get it is that hpat score good enough to justify doing a science course and repeating the hpat to then skip pre med?
    realistically am i capable of med or am i way off and should i just forget about it altogether?

first did you do a hpat prep course this year?

your chances are ok....probably wont get the likes of UCD and trinity but the rest are fair game.

if you really want to do med then i'd say if you well in your leaving (best of luck by the way!) just go to science as you said and spend a couple of weeks just preping for the hpat next year. I wouldnt say your not "capable" of doing med because you got 166 (thats ridiculous!)

last year one of the lads on boards repeated just his hpat and went up from 164 or in around to 220! so i wouldnt be saying your not capable!
    I went into law and went up from 180 to 209! but i only got 520 in my leaving so i needed the really high points in the hpat!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

johndoe91 wrote: »
    Hey yeah the whole 730 thing seems to be a really good score if you are applying to all med schools because the lowest last year was less then 720! The thing is that its hard to see the points jumping up more then say 5 or so because you have to bare in mind the system of the ensure that you can get in on less then 560 points on your leaving cert.

At 169 and 550 points your at 719 which is a possibility for the likes of RCSI and Galway.

People saying they've got it are only speculating based on last years points....

best of luck anyways

Thanks a lot. Really helps :-)
    I think assuming I get 6as. (not happening) I would be in with a shot, of course that is pretty impossible for me.
    Depends on the points I guess. Wish I could be more certain about it, should probably change my cao.....thanks again

kate.m wrote: »
    Thanks a lot. Really helps :-)
    I think assuming I get 6as. (not happening) I would be in with a shot, of course that is pretty impossible for me.
    Depends on the points I guess. Wish I could be more certain about it, should probably change my cao.....thanks again

as i said to med head....if your really set on med and dont get it this time round, go into another course your thinking of doing and then just resit the hpat!

Like I was dead set on medicine last year. law sounded fun....really got into it...took like 2 weeks off college around the hpat, did one of those online prep courses, and now i have to decide whether or not I wanna leave law for med....

and im a bit of a waster so you can do soo much better if your really want it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 med head

johndoe91 wrote: »
    first did you do a hpat prep course this year?

your chances are ok....probably wont get the likes of UCD and trinity but the rest are fair game.

if you really want to do med then i'd say if you well in your leaving (best of luck by the way!) just go to science as you said and spend a couple of weeks just preping for the hpat next year. I wouldnt say your not "capable" of doing med because you got 166 (thats ridiculous!)

last year one of the lads on boards repeated just his hpat and went up from 164 or in around to 220! so i wouldnt be saying your not capable!
    I went into law and went up from 180 to 209! but i only got 520 in my leaving so i needed the really high points in the hpat!

thanks i just really don't know where i stand i want med in galway because i have to stay at home next year but my parents keep puttin pressure on me wit the cao and i just don't know what to do at all! id love to come up in the hpat if i repeat it so i guess its just a waiting game but the problem is i only have a few more days to sort out my cao! do i put down science or do i forget about med altogether and do somethin else?! eeeek decision time :/
    well done btw thats a really good hpat score

Advertisement