Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 chompchomp

If you did a year of college, then went back into first year for another course, you will have to pay fees for the first year. If its medicine you are looking at, I would expect to pay about 10,000 euros in fees. Its the same price as my course from what I remember.hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's about €10-12.5K euro per year for Medicine. I wouldn't take the decision lightly if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

178. 79 percentile. Depending on my LC I'm really on the fence now regarding getting in.

Gona be a loooong summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Cheers, that's one option crossed off so. Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone else sent an email to the CAO about the results leak? I sent them an email a while ago. It'll be interesting to see how they attempt to excuse their lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Has anyone else sent an email to the CAO about the results leak? I sent them an email a while ago. It'll be interesting to see how they attempt to excuse their lie.

i never saw my leaked result, but keep us posted bro, i'd like to see them wriggle out of this one

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

I'm going to repeat as well - got 162 points in Hpat and there is no way I get 550+ in LC this year... So it looks like I'm repeating everything next year :) But it's not the end of the world - it's just one year :) And then if I still don't get it next year, I'll do Biomed :)

I.m in pretty much the same boat on the plus side I have much better prospects with the lc next year. So here's hoping. By the way well done to everyone who got good results in the hpat this year and best of luck with getting into medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Would you be safe enough for galway with 746?

you would be absolutely certain and in fact get any medical school place in the country. However Galway great choice!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 medsc

I repeated this year and I put my whole heart and soul into the leaving cert and hpat, I physically gave up my whole life this year (and I don't regret that one bit because it felt good), but in terms of the hPat I only went up by 5 points from 140 to 145 this year, which, I'm not gonna lie, isn't good news at all! But I don't want to do any other course, is it worth repeating again for medicine? (my school fees are 7000 euro)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emma123abc

Patri wrote: »
    If you miss out on your first preference (like me) because of a poor hpat, and you choose to just repeat the hpat next year while in a different course, say science, and you accept a place in medicine the year after, would you be eligible for college fees? By re-starting first year do the fees come into place? And if so, what is the median level of fees which must be paid to universities here?

Thanks very much, just considering all options at present.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I was thinking of doing exactly that - doing a course and repeating the hpat - and I don't get the bit about fees. Are college fees coming in in 2012... Or is there something I'm totally missing with fees and starting first year again?
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

emma123abc wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I was thinking of doing exactly that - doing a course and repeating the hpat - and I don't get the bit about fees. Are college fees coming in in 2012... Or is there something I'm totally missing with fees and starting first year again?
    :confused:

the fees have always been there, but because we're undergraduate EU citizens, we get them payed for. if you have already been to third level, then you have to pay fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭emma123abc

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    the fees have always been there, but because we're undergraduate EU citizens, we get them payed for. if you have already been to third level, then you have to pay fees

Thanks for that :) That's something my careers teacher probably should have mentioned to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I'm also thinking about doing that. Just want to get it straight first though.Was thinking that if I don't get medicine, I'd do a course next year anyway and just repeat the HPAT next february while in my first year in college. If I end up getting a good HPAT then, and i drop out and start medicine, will I only pay full fees for the first year and then I'd fall under the free frees initiative from 2nd year onwards? Or would I be paying 12,000 every year?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

medsc wrote: »
    I repeated this year and I put my whole heart and soul into the leaving cert and hpat, I physically gave up my whole life this year (and I don't regret that one bit because it felt good), but in terms of the hPat I only went up by 5 points from 140 to 145 this year, which, I'm not gonna lie, isn't good news at all! But I don't want to do any other course, is it worth repeating again for medicine? (my school fees are 7000 euro)

Did you do a prep course for the HPAT?
    Ok I want to be as nice as possible saying this, but maybe you're not suited to medicine? What LC points did you get last year?
    Have you thought about Science or possibly nursing or another health science like OT, Physio or even Pharmacy?
    You could repeat again if you wanted, but if you think of the workload for medicine and after doing the LC 3 times maybe you wouldn't be able for Medicine?
    Anyway it's down to you. Have you discussed it with your parents?
    Good luck with your decision :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Anita Blow wrote: »
    I'm also thinking about doing that. Just want to get it straight first though.Was thinking that if I don't get medicine, I'd do a course next year anyway and just repeat the HPAT next february while in my first year in college. If I end up getting a good HPAT then, and i drop out and start medicine, will I only pay full fees for the first year and then I'd fall under the free frees initiative from 2nd year onwards? Or would I be paying 12,000 every year?
    If you've done First Year of a course, and then get into med, you will pay full fees for the first year in med, and then revert to normal. If you have done two years of another degree, and then start again, you will pay full fees for two years; and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Thanks for that!
    Think I'll have to do that then. Have a permanent pit in my stomach since I saw my results today. 161 :(

Did you do a prep course for the HPAT?
    Ok I want to be as nice as possible saying this, but maybe you're not suited to medicine? What LC points did you get last year?
    Have you thought about Science or possibly nursing or another health science like OT, Physio or even Pharmacy?
    You could repeat again if you wanted, but if you think of the workload for medicine and after doing the LC 3 times maybe you wouldn't be able for Medicine?
    Anyway it's down to you. Have you discussed it with your parents?
    Good luck with your decision :)

I got 520 last year and had a few options for other courses, but seeing as I was only 17, my parents told me that I should repeat and that I might realise that I really do want to do medicine and that I shouldn't compromise. They obviously won't make me repeat again but now I want it so bad, you know? I know I've done my best this year, but what if I gt lucky the third time, I couldn't see myself with any other career. As advice from one stranger to another, would you recommend I give it one last go? Btw I did the ******** course last year and the institute of education one this year

I got 520 last year and had a few options for other courses, but seeing as I was only 16, my parents told me that I should repeat and that I might realise that I really do want to do medicine and that I shouldn't compromise. They obviously won't make me repeat again but now I want it so bad, you know? I know I've done my best this year, but what if I gt lucky the third time, I couldn't see myself with any other career. As advice from one stranger to another, would you recommend I give it one last go? X
    You could always try the UK or up north as well? There are different entry requirements though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Heatproof

Guys is anyone doing the Hpat prep course next year ? I want to do the M******y prep course next year and I need someone to go with me to do the course in order to obtain the discount. If so, please email me : <modsnip>

Thanks

For your own sake, do not put your email on a public forum.

If people want to contact you they can PM you.

Be advised that there are very mixed views as to the efficacy of prep. courses for HPAT.

R.

You could always try the UK or up north as well? There are different entry requirements though.

The thing is that I got into some colleges in the UK but they were asking for really high grades (along the lines of 600 points)!! And most of them dont take repeat students :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I got 520 last year and had a few options for other courses, but seeing as I was only 17, my parents told me that I should repeat and that I might realise that I really do want to do medicine and that I shouldn't compromise. They obviously won't make me repeat again but now I want it so bad, you know? I know I've done my best this year, but what if I gt lucky the third time, I couldn't see myself with any other career. As advice from one stranger to another, would you recommend I give it one last go? Btw I did the ******** course last year and the institute of education one this year x

Well done on 520, that's great!
    Depending on your results this year (presumably you're going to get more), would you consider going to college, doing something else you're interested in for a year to see how it goes and repeating the HPAT and reapplying through CAO next year for medicine while you're in college? That way if you get med, great, and if not and you like your course you can keep going with that and who knows maybe do med as a postgrad afterwards? x

Well done on 520, that's great!
    Depending on your results this year (presumably you're going to get more), would you consider going to college, doing something else you're interested in for a year to see how it goes and repeating the HPAT and reapplying through CAO next year for medicine while you're in college? That way if you get med, great, and if not and you like your course you can keep going with that and who knows maybe do med as a postgrad afterwards? x

Yeah but like I have nothing else that I want to do. If I get into dentistry, that'd be great but to be honest I don't see myself getting 570* :/ Like I really think that I should get cracking on college, but I just don't want to do science if its not going to lead to me being a doctor (it just wont feel right). But on the otherhand, I don't want to not do science, you know? Sorry I sound like a babbling fool heh :/

The thing is that I got into some colleges in the UK but they were asking for really high grades (along the lines of 600 points)!! And most of them dont take repeat students :/
    I know what you mean. They usually need AAAAB or there about as well as a solid UKCAT, personal statement, interview and reference. It's tough but it's always an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I was pretty disappointed with the HPAT today. Since the results were leaked I always knew inside that they had to be the real results, but I'd hoped that somehow they weren't. So I'd hoped (naturally) that I'd get a great 'real' score, and that it would all be simple. I have to say I was pretty jealous of anyone who nailed it. Mostly because when I came out of the exam I was really pleased with how it went and I thought I might have done better myself. Now I'm left with just about 2 or 3 points in hand to get to Galway on last year's points. And judging from the percentile changes, points are going to jump. It looks like I'll be repeating the whole thing again next year. Thinking back to the start of sixth year, it seems like an eternity ago. Having to do it all again is a daunting prospect to say the least. And it sounds like there are a lot of people who will be stuck doing the same thing.

Just remember, if it's not hard, it's not worth it.

I know what you mean. They usually need AAAAB or there about as well as a solid UKCAT, personal statement, interview and reference. It's tough but it's always an alternative.

It's crazy.. But I really felt like I was on to something this year, I felt like it was going to happen.. I did everything right, and just didn't get the results.. and I'm so bummed out (I'm obviously not the only one but UGH).

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

And judging from the percentile changes, points are going to jump. It looks like I'll be repeating the whole thing again next year.

Just remember, if it's not hard, it's not worth it.

Remember those percentile jumps will be counteracting the increased supply of places, and decrease in demand. :) Here's hoping anyway!

Remember those percentile jumps will be counteracting the increased supply of places, and decrease in demand. :) Here's hoping anyway!

Oh how it taunts me to be in the 28 percentile :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

portcrap wrote: »
    what are the chances of a 552 LC (560 points) & 162 HPAT total of 714 points, of getting a place? :confused:

Quite good chance, considering reduced numbers this year, and the extra galway places. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Oh how it taunts me to be in the 28 percentile :'(

:( Always next year though! Margins in HPAT are seriously tight, you might've just been unlucky in getting a few of the high-marked ones wrong :)

• Advertisement

:( Always next year though! Margins in HPAT are seriously tight, you might've just been unlucky in getting a few of the high-marked ones wrong :)

Haha no its just really weird because I've done the HPAT last year aswell and I got 140 (I got 145 this year), and I've done two mock exams since and I've gotten the same percentile. I practice and practice and try figure out where I went wrong, but my HPAT result is inevitably in that percentile?! Does that happen to anyone else? :eek::eek:

Advertisement