Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Mr.mojo

723...what are my chances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

Got 208 which puts me in the 98th percentile...DELIGHTED!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

did hpat and leaving this year and got 179 in hpat. definitely didn't get points as pre decided 2 repeat so only got about 450 ish. just wondering about the people who did the prep courses for hpat and went up alot which ones are best. also must say hpat if u panic like i did at the end of section 3 suck at spacial awareness do ini meany miney mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

jenny18 wrote: »
    did hpat and leaving this year and got 179 in hpat. definitely didn't get points as pre decided 2 repeat so only got about 450 ish. just wondering about the people who did the prep courses for hpat and went up alot which ones are best. also must say hpat if u panic like i did at the end of section 3 suck at spacial awareness do ini meany miney mo.
    From 2 years of HPAT talk, the Institute course seems a bit crap, apart from the practise test they give you at the end. It's given in exam conditions, but they make it themselves and it was really easy i.e. average was 60%.

Most people I know who went up 30+ points did the Med Entry course. Good friend of mine went up 40 points by just doing that and worked out perfect for her. You're Hpat scores grand by the way, just give the LC a go again and work hard and ye should be grand. Having 179 in the Hpat behind ye would be pretty nice when repeating ;)

thanks yeah like i know i can get the points just panicked after the pres because failed maths and the just half gave up but think personnaly its better being a little older doing medicine its not a party course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

thanks yeah like i know i can get the points just panicked after the pres because failed maths and the just half gave up but think personnaly its better being a little older doing medicine its not a party course.
    I didn't do maths in my repeat year, well I did officially but I didn't in school. Just did 1 or 2 past papers a couple of days before the exam. That was pass though.

Med is a party course by the way. Most people go out once or twice a week at least. First year's grand enough in terms of effort, and ye can survive if ye study a bit often. There's events every month or so where all the years come together and get drunk, dance and whatnot. Just sayin'.

hmm so i get to go to college have fun and when im finished i can be rich. why does everyone not apply? yeah only really stuck at honours because i'm stubborn hence i know i can get the points plus doing easy honours. economics business biology physics/chemistry home economics dunno gonna try honours maths and english next year extra maths points so.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

hmm so i get to go to college have fun and when im finished i can be rich. why does everyone not apply? yeah only really stuck at honours because i'm stubborn hence i know i can get the points plus doing easy honours. economics business biology physics/chemistry home economics dunno gonna try honours maths and english next year extra maths points so.

If this is your prime motivation for studying medicine then forget it, it's one of the worst reasons to become a doctor. Did you even see the pay scales for junior doctors ? Slightly higher pay than a teacher's with much longer hours and stress. Even a public consultant's pay isn't particularly spectacular considering the 10-15 years of training required and the fact that less than 1/5 graduates become one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 was1

Pugzilla wrote: »
    If this is your prime motivation for studying medicine then forget it, it's one of the worst reasons to become a doctor. Did you even see the pay scales for junior doctors ? Slightly higher pay than a teacher's with much longer hours and stress. Even a public consultant's pay isn't particularly spectacular considering the 10-15 years of training required and the fact that less than 1/5 graduates become one.

I agree people who have genuine humble reasons for becoming a doctor should not be blocked.

become a banker if you want money

I'm an undergraduate applicant from Scotland applying in Ireland through CAO it is much more simple than UCAS in the UK I scored 165 in HPAT 60th percentile and the other points equivalent is 557 so 722 in total my choices are:
    1.Royal College Surgeons
    2.NUI Galway
    3.UCD
    4.UCC
    5.TCD

what are my chances?

Do many people get full points in LC or is 557 out of 560 considered a good score

Does any one have an idea of how many people sat HPAT (I'd say around 3000) and how many places are available in the Universities just so that our percentile scores can give us more understanding.

Also good luck to everyone with their application. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

was1 wrote: »
    I agree people who have genuine humble reasons for becoming a doctor should not be blocked.

become a banker if you want money

I'm an undergraduate applicant from Scotland applying in Ireland through CAO it is much more simple than UCAS in the UK I scored 165 in HPAT 60th percentile and the other points equivalent is 557 so 722 in total my choices are:
    1.Royal College Surgeons
    2.NUI Galway
    3.UCD
    4.UCC
    5.TCD

what are my chances?

Do many people get full points in LC or is 557 out of 560 considered a good score

Does any one have an idea of how many people sat HPAT (I'd say around 3000) and how many places are available in the Universities just so that our percentile scores can give us more understanding.

Also good luck to everyone with their application. :D

557 out of 560 is an unbelievable score :O

It all depends on whether or not the points will go up. Nobody can say whether or not it's definite, but I'd say you have a REALLY good shot. Even if you don't you could definitely improve on that HPAT to go again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 febreze2

Hey guys,
    just wondering with 728 have I really got any chance of getting med in UCC?I know the points last year were 725 but with people doing better in hpat will the points shoot up?I have RCSI next on my CAO ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

jumpguy wrote: »
    Sorry if these have already been answered, but I can't find any official material anywhere answering these questions.

Will the bonus 25 points next year for HL maths ONLY be added onto LC 2012 exams? So, if you did HL maths in LC 2011, you would get no extra points if you reapplied to the CAO with your LC 2011 next year?
    For anyone who might stumble across this in the future wondering about this, I emailed the CAO and it turns out that bonus points for maths WILL count for HL maths taken prior to 2012.

EDIT: Oh, I apologise, it's clearer in my original thread, but transcripted here it's out of context! The 25 extra points for HL maths come into effect next year. You will not get 25 extra points this year! Sorry for any confusion (blame randy :P)!

Copying this post over here from another thread, might be on someone else's mind too.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Just over 3,000 people sat the HPAT. There are over 600 places for Medicine in Ireland (620 I think I heard at an open day?). That means roughly 20% of HPAT applicants will get into Medicine here.

With regards to points going up people have got to stop asking. The points could go up or down at this stage, regardless of HPAT scores increasing. If you've got 720+ you have a chance of getting in. If you have just under 720 you could get in but chances are slim enough. Use common sense and look at last years points. They're the best indication we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Are you serious??!! Please send me the reply email asap. Because those 25 points would be make or break for me. Please!
    It won't have any effect this year. It's for people using 2011 Results in a 2012 application.

Oh, I apologise, it's clearer in my original thread, but transcripted here it's out of context! The 25 extra points for HL maths come into effect next year. You will not get 25 extra points this year!

Also, bare in mind many people going for med next year will be doing HL maths for the 25 extra points, thus pushing up the points for medicine proportionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Thats terrible for someone like me who wants Medicine but doesnt do honours Maths. I suppose if I repeated I could try do it but to learn the new maths course on top of older honours ideas in just one year would be quite a task! Better just hope I get in this year then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

(blame randy :P)!
    Lol, and then we both go to fix it at the same time! :p

Sorry folks, I thought it was clear, didn't actually think of that possible interpretation as everyone knows that there are NO bonus points for Hons Maths this year.

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Thats terrible for someone like me who wants Medicine but doesnt do honours Maths. I suppose if I repeated I could try do it but to learn the new maths course on top of older honours ideas in just one year would be quite a task! Better just hope I get in this year then.
    It is outrageously unfair, in my opinion. I emailed the CAO enquiring because I was afraid that if I don't get the 25 extra points for my HL maths next year, it'd made my LC quite tame. You get even more screwed over doing OL maths, other students can get a 65 points advantage on you!

Fair enough for the 25 extra points in courses where it applies, like engineering or physics, but for high-points courses where HL maths is not essential like medicine, pharmacy, or dentistry, it will push points so high that HL maths will be virtually an entry requirement. There will be course points of 605 or so soon - which basically means you need HL maths, and a good grade in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Does my higher level maths grade this year, get 25 extra points if I apply to the CAO next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nikita_can_run

That's ok. My fault for the misunderstanding. I knew that the 25 points didn't apply this year... I was just grasping at my last bit of hope XD
    Thats good to know anyway for next year when I'll probably be resitting the Hpat to know that I already have 25 points more than I had last year.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Does my higher level maths grade this year, get 25 extra points if I apply to the CAO next year?
    Yes, if you got 70 points for HL maths (a C1) this year, you will get 95 points for the same 2011 HL maths grade next year (in 2012)

You will not get it this year though.

Bare in mind also what I said earlier - everyone doing HL maths will get the 25 extra points, so many people going for med will probably do HL maths (they'll most likely almost have to, or do brilliantly in other subjects) that the med points will probably be pushed up roughly proportionally. You'll also need an B2 and up before you actually get a proper edge (as you will be getting over 100 points then, like 105 points - which nobody else in any other subject can achieve.)

Is it not a D grade or higher for the extra points?

It is outrageously unfair, in my opinion. I emailed the CAO enquiring because I was afraid that if I don't get the 25 extra points for my HL maths next year, it'd made my LC quite tame. You get even more screwed over doing OL maths, other students can get a 65 points advantage on you!

Fair enough for the 25 extra points in courses where it applies, like engineering or physics, but for high-points courses where HL maths is not essential like medicine, pharmacy, or dentistry, it will push points so high that HL maths will be virtually an entry requirement. There will be course points of 605 or so soon - which basically means you need HL maths, and a good grade in it.
    Very true. They're making honours maths a prerequisite for courses with high points regardless of the relevance of honours maths to the course itself.

Is it not a D grade or higher for the extra points?
    Yeah, you won't get it for failing.

Would hope my prospective doctor is able for higher level maths, don't see the issue tbh

AdamD wrote: »
    Would hope my prospective doctor is able for higher level maths, don't see the issue tbh
    Why? The vast majority of the course is completely useless for people who want to go on to study medicine.

Shows problem solving skills

No... You wrote that you get the points for a C1 but I'm just wondering do you get it for under that like a C2?

No... You wrote that you get the points for a C1 but I'm just wondering do you get it for under that like a C2?

From a D3 and upwards you get 25 points added to the standard points you would recieve

• Advertisement

I used a C1 as an example. You get 25 extra points for a D3 grade and up. For example, a D3 (45 points) will become worth 70 points. On the other end of a scale, an A1 (100 points) will be 125 points.

Advertisement