Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Well, the inflated HPAT points pose a big problem for ACER next year. If the average HPAT score next year falls and people are scoring lower numerical scores (like, 173 was in the 72nd percentile this year, if it was in the 80th percentile next year...) it'll give repeats this year a big advantage. So they have to make sure the scores stay inflated, or repeats will mop the floor.

Fairly insane. I'm seriously regretting not having applied to UCAS now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

jumpguy wrote: »
    Well, the inflated HPAT points pose a big problem for ACER next year. If the average HPAT score next year falls and people are scoring lower numerical scores (like, 173 was in the 72nd percentile this year, if it was in the 80th percentile next year...) it'll give repeats this year a big advantage. So they have to make sure the scores stay inflated, or repeats will mop the floor.

do you have to do a ukat or something though?

Sunny!! wrote: »
    do you have to do a umat or something though?
    UMAT is for Australia. For the UK you have to do either UKCAT or BMAT (depends on the college you apply to, UKCAT is the most popular I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It's even more crazily competitive over in the UK. As odd as it may sound, we have it easy over here compared to them.

Best case scenario you'll get it in round 2/3. But worst case scenario, what do you think you'll do? Have you got something else in your CAO or will you repeat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

has anyone any bit of advice for the hpat, practise wise? how long i should spend looking at it etc?:(

• Advertisement

It's even more crazily competitive over in the UK. As odd as it may sound, we have it easy over here compared to them.

Best case scenario you'll get it in round 2/3. But worst case scenario, what do you think you'll do? Have you got something else in your CAO or will you repeat?
    If I don't get it I'll repeat, and apply further afield than just Ireland. I figure I stand a better chance in interviews and with personal statements and etc than I do with just blank points. I've a strong first-time LC and plenty of experience to fill a personal statement which will hopefully make them look twice before they just reject me only because I'm a repeat.

I won't be one of the people that criticise the CAO when things don't go their way, the points system is fair and like every other system it has it's limitations.

Anyway, here's hoping I'll get it in the 2nd round. I'm just annoyed I've to keep waiting. :pac: And thanks to everyone for your kindness. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

When is the second round btw?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Oh, a point short.

GOOD ONE LIFE
    I think NUIG has gone down at least a point every year over last few, as people swop out in R2.

Really thought you would have it in R1, lad, but I'm still quietly confident ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Got TCD Pharmacy with 5 points to spare over 550!

It's not Medicine but by God am I still chuffed :)

• Advertisement

Tough course but Trinity is beyond AMAZING félicitations!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Heartiest congrats :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 isomerised

On 741... Damn that little asterik! ¬_¬

How'd y'all get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Allie79

Got Trinity - thrilled!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Got Trinity aswell, so happy, can't believe it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

whats the odds that medicine has a round 2 this year?

fairly good i'd say

fairly good i'd say

like i got galway but i really cant afford to leave dublin at this stage! :/ got 729 so would need rcsi to drop by 4 points! stressful....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 isomerised

Trinity! See you guys there! :)

• Advertisement

well done with trinners btw! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sjk1992

Oh, a point short.

GOOD ONE LIFE

also missed med by a point :( To be honest I wasn't expecting that to happen...off to Southampton so!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Thisismetrying

Allie79 wrote: »
    Got Trinity - thrilled!
    Got Trinity aswell, so happy, can't believe it!
    isomerised wrote: »
    Trinity! See you guys there! :)

Me too! Delighted,... shocked moreso! :D Can't wait!

RCSI dubious to say the least, never thought UCD would shoot up 13 *sigh*

like i got galway but i really cant afford to leave dublin at this stage! :/ got 729 so would need rcsi to drop by 4 points! stressful....

Hard to know if it would drop by that much tbh. If i was you id take galway and try and find some way around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Got NUIG!! :D

I had 750 so I was quite confident Id get it!! Can't believe the jump though!! :O of 10 points across the board! Crazy! With the extra places I thought it would stay the same!
    Any way wholl be joining me in 5 year Med in Galway? :D

johndoe91 wrote: »
    fairly good i'd say

Well Trin dropped 729* to 723* in 09 so it's not impossible would just need a serious amount of luck,congrats on the offer btw

darling1 wrote: »
    Well Trin dropped 729* to 723* in 09 so it's not impossible would just need a serious amount of luck,congrats on the offer btw

cheers anyways i think i'll have a good think about it....have till friday to see...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

well i'm repeating for medicine but knew i would when i got my hpat 179 was expecting to fail. advice for anyone going in 2 do leaving don't panic at pres i failed maths and panicked but got a d2 in honors in the end (c1 was the highest in my year). least use didn't miss out by 120 points. 260 in pres 430 in leaving. but then again highest in my year was 515 second highest 490. see use at the med entry course:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

So, who's going to Trinity Halls??? Can't believe it's all happening now!:D:D:D:D

Advertisement