Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

sopherson wrote: »
    No No. navan town. And dublin is amazing. something's always goin on. i hope i get campus acc. :):D

youre not too bad so. dublin is great crack:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sopherson

Sunny!! wrote: »
    youre not too bad so. dublin is great crack:)

i know. Cant wait!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Ha! Dublin, good one... :rolleyes:

UCC anyone? :cool:

Ha! Dublin, good one... :rolleyes:

UCC anyone? :cool:

next year:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 medhead11

Accepted to Trinity. Official medical student. Still feels surreal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sopherson

medhead11 wrote: »
    Accepted to Trinity. Official medical student. Still feels surreal.

congratulations :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 medhead11

Thanks!! Well done to everyone else, commiserations to those who missed out this year, there's always next year or postgrad. We will all be doctors some day :)

Thanks!! Well done to everyone else, commiserations to those who missed out this year, there's always next year or postgrad. We will all be doctors some day :)

your positivity is refreshing:D, well done, i'm sure you definitely deserve it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

sopherson wrote: »
    I wish!! :( are you?

Yep, just trying to suss out who else is.. . .

I do hope so. . .the only words of advice I'll offer is if you really want medicine next year, decide now, dont change your mind, apply everywhere, here and the UK, and start studying now. . .for both exams. . .otherwise you're gonna be disappointed. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

I know you reccomend this but do you mind me asking why? Would you reccomend it for me? I got A1s in the three sciences and Ive lots of "experience" with medical "terminology" becuase of my first aid experience. Im 19. (I did TY)

Are you a current med student?:) Is premed not just basically a science degree for a year?:/ Any info would be great!:)

Would definitely recommend premed for above reasons and because as I said almost 10% of people in 1st year in at least one Uni fail at least one exam and I have no reason to believe it is different anywhere else.

I don't think 19 is old and No I am not a medical student but will PM you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 isomerised

Does anyone know how long it takes for Halls to process your application? n_n I really just feel like it's that last loose end that has to be tied up.

You will find this on health education forum but will post here as I know many interested.

UK UNDERGADUATE MEDICINE UCAS MIMINUM LC 2012 AND HOW TO DO IT ANY YEAR
    NOTE
    Have compiled list of MINIMUM LC REQUIREMENTS for students interested in applying to UK via UCAS in 2012. In fact I have also left the pathway so as someone else can do it in any year and indeed for any subject.

Perhaps the forum should start a new thread as seems to be in many peoples minds with the shocking increase in points for Irish Medicine this year.
    It would be really helpful if any Irish students currently doing medicine in UK could tell others where they are and how easy/difficult it was to get in.

As regards the question of fees I think that Scotland charge no fees to EU ie Irish undergraduates. Fees in England will definitely be £9,000 per year BUT Irish students are eligible for a student loan and that is low interest and repayment only when you earn over £15,000 per year but again maybe current students can comment.

If this is wrong forum sure moderator will move. Good Luck!!

POST-

Here are the MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS for IRISH LEAVING CERT FOR UNDERGRADUATE MEDICINE APPLYING FOR UK VIA UCAS 2012

THIS IS ALSO HOW YOU DO IT FOR ANY OTHER YEAR OR INDEED ANY UCAS COURSE INCLUDING GRADUATE MEDICINE

GOOGLE UCAS COURSE SEARCH- http://www.ucas.com/students/coursesearch/
    SEARCH FOR COURSES STARTING IN THE YEAR YOU WANT
    IN OUR CASE IS 2012 SO- http://www.ucas.com/students/coursesearch/2012searcheu/
    THEN SEARCH BY SUBJECT-
    M THEN MEDICINE-http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...&word=MEDICINE

THEN MEDICINE ON ITS OWN AS A SINGLE SUBJECT-http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun...ICINE&single=Y

AND THIS LISTS ALL MEDICINE COURSES

FOR EACH ONE YOU CLICK COURSE THEN FIND-
    Entry profile

arrow2.gifEntry Requirements

click
    arrow2.gifEntry Requirements

and you will get box like this-
    Entry Requirements
    Course Specific Requirements Other Tariff Qualifications English, Welsh and Northern Irish Qualifications Access & Supporting Qualifications Scottish Qualifications Other Qualifications

YOU MUST READ COURSE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS BUT if you click
    Other Tariff Qualifications

you find a box like this
    Irish Leaving Certificate

AcceptabilityAcceptable on its own & combined with other qualificationsSubjects and grades requiredAAAAAA at higher level obtained at a single sitting. Chemistry is required plus two from Biology, Mathematics and Physics.Additional InformationAll applicants will be expected to have taken the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT).

and
    Subjects and grades required

are the MINIMUM Leaving Cert Grades/Subjects for that year

YOU MUST READ COURSE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS-for example

Course Specific Requirements FOR EXAMPLE-

Course Specific RequirementsApplicants must demonstrate (through references and UCAS personal statement) they have initiative and are self-motivated, are literate and articulate, are able to interact successfully with others and have learnt from their experiences of interacting with people in health or social care settings (personal family experience, paid or voluntary work or work shadowing).Criminal Records Check RequiredYes Admissions Test RequiredYes

and is usually (except Cambridge,Oxford,some London-BMAT)

Admissions test details

TEST 1Test NameUK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) Test Date Test Form URL Test Infohttp://www.ukcat.ac.uk Info URLhttp://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective

AGAIN TO EMPHASISE IT IS VITAL TO READ ALL OF COURSE REQUIREMENTS BUT HERE ARE MINIMUM LC GRADES FOR EACH UNIVERSITY 2012

The University of Aberdeen

Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree

Irish Leaving Certificate

AcceptabilityAcceptable on its own & combined with other qualificationsSubjects and grades requiredAAAAAA at higher level obtained at a single sitting. Chemistry is required plus two from Biology, Mathematics and Physics.

FOR THE REST WILL JUST PUT SUBJECTS AND/OR GRADES REQUIRED

The University of Birmingham

Medicine (5 yrs)
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA including Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Mathematics and English

Brighton and Sussex Medical School
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA including Biology and Chemistry. You must pass Biology and Chemistry with A1 grades.

University of Bristol
    Medicine - MBChB Pre-medical entry (6 years)
    6 year full-time Degree AAAAAB

University of Bristol
    Medicine - MBChB Standard entry (5 years)
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA

University of Cambridge Admissions test details

TEST 1Test NameBio-Medical Admissions Test (BMAT) Test Date Test Form URL Test Info Info URLwww.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/tests/index

Medicine
    6 year full-time Degree Typical offers vary from AAAAA to AAABB.

Cardiff University
    Medicine (foundation course)
    6 year full-time Degree

AAAABB at Higher Level to include A (A1 or A2) grades in Chemistry and Biology.Maths, English and preferably Physics at Standard Level grade B.Additional InformationApplicants should normally achieve the qualifications at the first attempt of the examinations.

Cardiff University
    Medicine (first-year entry)
    5 year full-time Degree Irish Leaving Certificate

Acceptability Not acceptable so dont apply KD

University of Dundee
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA including Chemistry and another Science at Higher and Biology at Ordinary level grade B.

University of Dundee
    Medicine (Pre-medical year)
    6 year full-time Degree Highers at AAAAAA including not more than one Science.

University of East Anglia
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA including Biology

The University of Edinburgh
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA including Chemistry, Biology, English and Mathematics or Physics plus Irish Junior Certificate, B in Mathematics, Science and English

University of Glasgow
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAABB including Chemistry and preferably Biology and one from Physics or Mathematics at higher levelAdditional InformationMathematics and Additional Mathematics are not considered as two separate subjects at higher level. A pass in ordinary level English is also required.

Hull York Medical School
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree

AAAAAB at Higher Level including A1 in Chemistry and A1 in BiologyAdditional InformationOnly acceptable at first sitting

Imperial College London
    Medicine
    6 year full-time Degree Test NameBio-Medical Admissions Test (BMAT) A1,A1,A1,A2,B1,B1 including Chemistry and Biology.Additional InformationWe also require English, Maths and Physics to be offered at the Junior Certificate level, if they are not offered as part of the Leaving Certificate.

Keele University
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree Grades AAAAAB at Higher level including Chemistry, Biology and Physics, with Chemistry and one other Science at grade A

King's College London (University of London)
    Medicine (5 years)
    5 year full-time Degree A1 A1 A1 A2 B1 B1 at Higher level including A1 in Biology and Chemistry

University of Leeds
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA, including Chemistry and two subjects from Biology, Maths and Physics

University of Leicester
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAA including Chemistry and Biology

The University of Liverpool
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree Acceptable only when combined with other qualifications

this means not acceptable so do not apply with Irish LC only KD

The University of Manchester.
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree Applicants offering the Irish Leaving Certificate may only apply to A104 (Medicine with a Foundation Year). Applicants must have achieved the required grades before application. Please contact us for further information

So dont apply for 5 year course KD

The University of Manchester
    Medicine (6 years including foundation year)
    6 year full-time Degree The School looks for grades of A2A2A2B2B2 in the ILC at HL - Subjects to include Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English Language. Applicants must have achieved these grades at first attempt before submitting an application.

Newcastle University
    Medicine (stage 1 entry)
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAA at Higher level to include Chemistry and Biology.Additional InformationPhysics and English Language required at Ordinary Level if not offered at Higher Level

The University of Nottingham
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree 6 subjects at higher level. 5 grade A passes including Biology and Chemistry. Grade A in Physics at junior level

Oxford University
    Medicine
    6 year full-time Degree Test NameBio-Medical Admissions Test (BMAT)
    Subjects and grades requiredAAAAAB-AAAABBAdditional InformationThese give an indication of the range of offers likely to be made to successful candidates. Achievement of these grades does not guarantee a place as admissions for all courses are competitive.

Peninsula College of Medicine & Dentistry
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAA at higher level including Biology and Chemistry.

Queen Mary, University of London

Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree A1 A1 A1 A2 B1 B1 at Higher Level including A1 in Chemistry and Biology
    Queen's University Belfast
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degre A1 A1 A1 A1 A1 B2 at Higher Level including Higher A1 in Chemistry and Biology. A pass in English, Maths and Physics at Higher or Ordinary Level.Additional InformationGrade A in Junior Cert Science acceptable in lieu of Ordinary Level Physics. Performance in Junior Cert important.

The University of Sheffield

Medicine (Foundation Year)
    6 year full-time Degree AAAAAB at Higher Level

The University of Sheffield
    Medicine (Phase One)
    5 year full-time Degree AAAAAB at Higher Level including grade A in Chemistry and one other Science

University of Southampton
    Medicine (5 year)
    5 year full-time Degree
    AAAABB at higher level including ChemistryAdditional InformationEnglish, Mathematics and Science equivalent to grade B GCSE also required

University of St Andrews
    Medicine
    6 year full-time Degree AAAAAA at Honours Level, including Chemistry, English, Mathematics and Biology.Additional InformationApplicant must declare if grades presented or predicted are for first sitting of Irish Leaving Certificate. If someone has not sat the appropriate subjects in their first sitting of the ILC we will make an offer conditional upon them passing the subjects that were missing in their first sittin

St George's, University of London
    Medicine
    5 year full-time Degree Irish Leaving Certificate

AcceptabilityNot acceptable

so dont apply KD

University College London (University of London)
    Medicine (6 years)
    6 year full-time Degree
    Test NameBio-Medical Admissions Test (BMAT) AAAAA plus a further pass to D3

PLEASE NOTE
    1. YOU MUST DO ADMISSION TEST UKCAT OR BMAT IN TIME- HERE IS INFORMATION FOR UKCAT 2011
    Testing begins:5 July 2011Registration deadline:23 September 2011Bursary application deadline:23 September 2011Exemption application deadline:23 September 2011Last testing date:7 October 2011UCAS application deadline:15 October 2011

2.YOU SHOULD START WORK ON YOUR PERSONAL STATEMENT NOW -UK STUDENTS HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THEM FOR A LONG TIME ALREADY!!!

PERHAPS CURRENT IRISH STUDENTS IN UK COULD TELL US WHICH UNIVERSITIES THEY ARE IN AND SO WHICH UNIVERSITIES GENUINELY ACCEPT IRISH STUDENTS

Hope this saves you a few hours work. I am sure your careers guidance teachers have already given you this advice!!!!!biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I know you reccomend this but do you mind me asking why? Would you reccomend it for me? I got A1s in the three sciences and Ive lots of "experience" with medical "terminology" becuase of my first aid experience. Im 19. (I did TY)

Are you a current med student?:) Is premed not just basically a science degree for a year?:/ Any info would be great!:)
    Hi!I'm going intomy 3rd year of med in NUIG and I would recommend premed although it is basically just 1st year of science,and having done all 3 sciences you may find some parts boring enough academic wise.However the first year of the 5 year course is tough going.I'd say at least 20% of people failed at least one module with the percentage being even higher for those that skipped pre med.I don't want to scare you it's definitely possible to go straight into the 5 year course and do well,but it will take a lot of dedication and you will miss out on the college experience a bit.You won't be able to go out near as much as the premeds or join in as many of the clubs or socs.It's just something to bear in mind when making your decision.PM me if you have any more questions about the course or anything really!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What were final round offers in NUIG in 2009 compared to first round offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

jumpguy wrote: »
    THey went down a point from 713 to 712.But it could have went down even lower after that.I know a few people that missed out but got a phone call from NUIG offering them a place when they accepted a different course and were a day or to into it! I think the points for NUIG have went down both years on the second round.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

THey went down a point from 713 to 712.But it could have went down even lower after that.I know a few people that missed out but got a phone call from NUIG offering them a place when they accepted a different course and were a day or to into it! I think the points for NUIG have went down both years on the second round.
    As well you have people who repeated the hpat whilst already in college just to have the option and may choose not to take up the course due to prefering their current course,fees ect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cyberpear

The minimum Leaving Cert and HPAT points for entry to all five medical schools on Monday: Published in today's Irish Examiner

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/more-students-with-lower-leaving-cert-points-get-medicine-165133.html

MEDICINE POINTS 2011
    LOWEST LC POINTS LOWEST HPAT SCORE CAO CUT-OFF POINTS
    TCD 535 (540, 530) 181 (172, 160) 741* (731*, 729*)
    UCD 530 (540, 520) 180 (165, n/a) 738 (725*, 720)
    UCC 530 (540, 520) 175 (167, 153) 734 (725, 715)
    RCSI 515 (535, n/a) 176 (163, n/a) 733* (723, 715*)
    NUIG 520 (525, n/a) 170 (161, n/a) 729* (720*, 713)
    ( ) Points/score in 2010, 2009
    n/a = not available
    * = Not all applicants with these points got an offer

Interesting reading!!

So minimum LC of 515 and a minimum hpat of 170!!

Would love to know proportion of repeat LC or repeat hpat getting a place compared to first time LC. Before hpat it was about 65% first time and 35% repeat LC. First year of hpat it went 80% first time 20% repeat LC but have no idea of figures since then.

So the combined scores have brought in LC of 515 and above. The tables with LC down to 480 on the hpat site were always crazy anyway. But that confirms jump in hpat scores-are people in 2011 brighter or better prepared??? I wonder.

And NUIG 2009 was LC 560 and hpat 153- becaues the guy that got it (Cantona56) posted on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Is that second or final round offers? They released figures for final round offers for 2010 (everyone on 719 got it, which was a point below first round offers) but I can only find first/second round offers points on Qualifax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cyberpear

Is that second or final round offers? They released figures for final round offers for 2010 (everyone on 719 got it, which was a point below first round offers) but I can only find first/second round offers points on Qualifax.

NUIG 2009 final round: 712*

and Median entry score was 717

i am just wondering does anyone have practice booklet two, that i could buy rather than sending away for it as it takes very long to receive

any help thanks in advance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blogger 3000

I was wondering if anyone could help me here I'd really appreciate it,
    I've just been offered med in NUIG and have done 2 yrs of another very closely related course to med, will I be able to skip premed? an maybe get a couple of other exemptions along the way,

I'm really sorry for those that didnt get an offer, I know what it feels like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Gamer11

Did anyone else miss out on their chosen medical school on random selection? you guys on here seem pretty clued in, do you think the points will go down even 1 in the next round? (yes partyatmygaf I'm talking to you!) : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

Gamer11 wrote: »
    Did anyone else miss out on their chosen medical school on random selection? you guys on here seem pretty clued in, do you think the points will go down even 1 in the next round? (yes partyatmygaf I'm talking to you!) : )
    It's almost impossible to tell. Say you missed trinity, for arguments sake, with 741 points. The chances you get in depend on how many others were turned down. I honestly doubt that many people will defer or reject their place so the points won't move much or at all but if you have the 741, then another random selection from those remaining on those points will be done.

Say there are 10 places left in the course by second round offers and only 10 people left on those points, then everyone on 741 will get in. Conversely, of there are 30 people waiting on 741 for those 10 places, hypothetically, then there's a smaller chance of getting in.

Sorry if I sound patronising, rambling on about how the system works when you undoubtedly know already, but what I'm saying is that there is no way of knowing how many people are in the same situation as you and will be in the mix for any places that come up again. At least I don't think that info is available.

IMO, I'd be quietly optimistic of my chances if I had the points that I might get it on the second round. All the best with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Gamer11

Thanks for your reply Yodaboy. Yes, I'm sitting right on the random selection points (mores the pity). I'll forever shudder when faced with the dreaded asterix! I'm pretty ****** off!: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

Gamer11 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Yodaboy. Yes, I'm sitting right on the random selection points (mores the pity). I'll forever shudder when faced with the dreaded asterix! I'm pretty ****** off!: )

Yeah I feel sorry for anybody in that situation. So unfair, but I suppose there's no fairer system for an operation of this scale. Genuinely hope you get in, especially since probably thought you'd be sorted before the huge points jump. Might see you come September! :)

I was wondering if anyone could help me here I'd really appreciate it,
    I've just been offered med in NUIG and have done 2 yrs of another very closely related course to med, will I be able to skip premed? an maybe get a couple of other exemptions along the way,

I'm really sorry for those that didnt get an offer, I know what it feels like

Also sorry for people who have missed out this year with shocking increase in points. As regards NUIG exemption from pre- med no problem but other exemptions highly unlikely unless you studied in NUIG already and even then each case is considered differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Raskolnikov92

I don't think it was in any way shocking the points increase from the moment the hpat results were released. If you had looked at the graphs on the hpat website its pretty clear the points have shifted by a bout 10, for instance the 80th percentile got you 180 in 2011, whereas in 2010 it got you 170. A points increase by 10 on the percentiles, no surprise the entry requirements went up by around about 10 in each institution! To break it down simply for those who want to predict next year, look at what would have to have gotten as a minimum to get in for 2011 overall final hpat + lc points wise, minus 550 (just a random number for lc points) from it, see what the hpat score was in percentile, then look at the 2012 chart from that percentile, see what points correspond with it and add back on your 550! After all the points are hardly rising because people are 'magically' getting more intelligent! You may also argue things like NIUG are offering 19 more places, well UCD offered less to undergrads more to post grads, anyway in the grand scheme of things with around 600 medical places a few extra here or there would never make a radical difference!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Hey, for anybody who has accepted an offer to medicine in NUIG; First of all congrats! Second, feel free to post or pm me any questions you may have about it - whether you should go into pre med, whether you will have the choice, the good points and bad points - don't be shy :) I just completed it this year!

Advertisement