Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 YouSerious

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    Hey, for anybody who has accepted an offer to medicine in NUIG; First of all congrats! Second, feel free to post or pm me any questions you may have about it - whether you should go into pre med, whether you will have the choice, the good points and bad points - don't be shy :) I just completed it this year!

why not share this wealth of knowledge publicly?! Im debating myself whether or not I should do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

YouSerious wrote: »
    why not share this wealth of knowledge publicly?! Im debating myself whether or not I should do it!

Because the odds of me being able to write one post that will answer all questions that everybody in your situation will have without spending hours at my computer are not very promising. I'm doing it this way to be efficient - less for me to write and less facts for you to read which you might otherwise deem irrelevant.

What specifically would you like to know about? Hours in pre med vs 1st med? Difficulty/relevance of the course content with regards to medicine? The social scene? The general high/low points?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 YouSerious

Hours in pre med vs 1st med? Difficulty/relevance of the course content with regards to medicine? The social scene? The general high/low points?

This would be a good start yea... Thanks!

YouSerious wrote: »
    This would be a good start yea... Thanks!

Well your hours will be something in the region of 20 most weeks, up to 24 occasionally. I just got my timetable for 1st med a few days ago and it looks like my average week will be 37/38 hours, 9am-7pm most days:eek:

Subjects: Chemistry (2 semesters) Biology - biochemistry, botany, zoology, microbiology (2 semesters) Physics (2 semesters)
    Early Patient Contact - 1 semester
    Introduction to Anatomy/Contemporary topics in medicine - 1 semester

Difficulty: Physics was the only subject that caused anybody problems. Unless you did well in it at LC level or are very competent at maths you will most likely struggle with it and will need to put in a bit of work.

Everything else is easy.

Early patient contact is short-lived but very interesting. You learn practical skills like taking blood pressure, cpr, even handwashing:rolleyes:, the best part is you go into hospital and take histories from patients to present as projects to your lecturers.

Overall Relevance of pre med: Very little. EPC is great but you won't touch on most of that stuff again until 3rd year at the earliest.

Social Scene: Since you have so few hours and such a light workload you have plenty of time to whatever you want - sports/societies, going out etc but you will not have much integration with the rest of the medical school, no one will know who most of the pre meds are and you won't know the older medical students because you never have lectures in the same parts of the campus as they do.

High Points: Your only real chance in this degree to let loose, as every year from 1st year on will count to your degree. Plenty of time to do whatever you want in college. This is the only year that medical students are integrated with larger courses like engineering & science courses in their lectures so you can get to know loads of other people easily.

It will prepare you for how much you need to study in 1st med because you will get to the 2 weeks before the exams and you won't have opened a book....no, you won't! It will open your eyes to how much you cover in a year of college and the need to stay on top of everything in 1st med when you have exams towards your degree being thrown at you every few weeks.

Low Points: The material is painfully boring and mostly irrelevant to medicine, especially when it comes to the last few weeks of trying to cram it before the exams. Many seminars/workshops on rubbish like communication in the first semester are mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Well your hours will be something in the region of 20 most weeks, up to 24 occasionally. I just got my timetable for 1st med a few days ago and it looks like my average week will be 37/38 hours, 9am-7pm most dayseek.gif
    Is it 9-7 straight bar lunch?:) or other breaks too?
    Subjects: Chemistry (2 semesters) Biology - biochemistry, botany, zoology, microbiology (2 semesters) Physics (2 semesters)
    Early Patient Contact - 1 semester
    Introduction to Anatomy/Contemporary topics in medicine - 1 semester

Those modules you listed are they the premed modules ya?:)

How many of ye did premed? and how many went straight into 1st med?:) do all the pre meds know each other well at this stage so if i went straight in itd be like crashing a party where you know no one?

Is there no patient contact so then until 3rd med?

Thats all my questions for now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

I don't think it was in any way shocking the points increase from the moment the hpat results were released. If you had looked at the graphs on the hpat website its pretty clear the points have shifted by a bout 10, for instance the 80th percentile got you 180 in 2011, whereas in 2010 it got you 170. A points increase by 10 on the percentiles, no surprise the entry requirements went up by around about 10 in each institution! To break it down simply for those who want to predict next year, look at what would have to have gotten as a minimum to get in for 2011 overall final hpat + lc points wise, minus 550 (just a random number for lc points) from it, see what the hpat score was in percentile, then look at the 2012 chart from that percentile, see what points correspond with it and add back on your 550! After all the points are hardly rising because people are 'magically' getting more intelligent! You may also argue things like NIUG are offering 19 more places, well UCD offered less to undergrads more to post grads, anyway in the grand scheme of things with around 600 medical places a few extra here or there would never make a radical difference!

I think I was using the word shocking in the sense of disgust horror and very bad rather than it's use as causing intense surprise.

shock·ing   [shok-ing] dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif
    adjective 1.causing intense surprise, disgust, horror, etc.
    2. very bad

I totally agree with your logic though.
    I think your choice of the 80th centile is particularily interesting because of course if 3,000 do the hpat then each centile is about 30 each so the 80th on should contain the 600 places in medicine but of course life is not that simple. Some of these people could go below 515 or simply decide medicine is not for them!!!
    It is fascinating to see the graphs move to the right with time and again I ask are people brighter or better prepared?? Are the top marks first time hpat or repeats??
    550 is also inspired choice because there is only one mark per 5 over this point. Be interesting when the bonus points for higher maths kick in though of course by the same logic that is only 5 extra points for the 25 extra if already at 550. Huge gain for you however if you are on 525 and you have done honours maths!!!
    Now whether you need honours maths to be a doctor-that is a different story that I am sure people will have their own opinion!!!!

Is it 9-7 straight bar lunch?:) or other breaks too?

Those modules you listed are they the premed modules ya?:)

How many of ye did premed? and how many went straight into 1st med?:)

do all the pre meds know each other well at this stage so if i went straight in itd be like crashing a party where you know no one?

Is there no patient contact so then until 3rd med?

Thats all my questions for now!!

The timetable is unique for each week of the semester. You will always have at least an hour free for lunch in the middle of the day as far as I can tell. But it is also too early to tell when we will finish on some days - eg those that end in labs, some of which are much shorter than others. I could pm you our timetable for the 1st semester if you'd like.

Yes - Chemistry, Biology and Physics consist of the same lectures, course content and exams as those set for many other courses including engineering, biomedical science, podiatry...

EPC and Anatomy/Contemporary topics in medicine are exclusively for pre meds.

We had 79 in our year, but that is very large for a pre med class and only came about because NUIG made a mistake and let too many people choose it. The number is usually closer to 60. I'm not sure how many went into 1st med as we wouldn't have crossed paths in lectures or anything.

Do all the pre meds know each other at this stage? Yes and no... It varies from people everybody knows to people who are only known to actually be in our course by a handful. This was determined purely by how much people integrated themselves - some people just never went to college because you can get away with it no problem. Don't even let that thought of 'crashing' influence you for a moment though! If you choose to go into pre med, somebody will just take your place!:rolleyes: I can promise you that our year (the ones about to start 1st med) are a fantastic crew and can't wait to welcome ye newbies!:) You will have no problem settling in and there will be a lot of other new people, of which we guesstimate there will be maybe 20-25? Plus mature students and Malaysian students.

This is true about having to wait until 3rd med, although that could be pushed even further to 4th med by the time our year gets there. In fact it may already have changed to that effect, the course is undergoing a few changes these days.

The patient-based stuff in pre med is great but be warned - it does not justify choosing it over 1st med solely for that experience. You will only go into hospital 4 times. Pre med was a brilliant experience but that was only one of a handful of aspects which made it so good!

Pre med counts for nothing in terms of your degree (provided you pass it!!), whereas every result from years 1-5 counts for NUIG medical students.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I just got my timetable for 1st med a few days ago and it looks like my average week will be 37/38 hours, 9am-7pm most days:eek:
    You won't have anything near that it will be 20-28 hours depending on the week.This is because you don't have all of the labs that are timetabled,there are diffrent groups for the labs,so you only go to one or two labs a week.The same is true of the professionalism group meetings.They haven't gotten rid of the 8 am starts have they?They were such fun!

You won't have anything near that it will be 20-28 hours depending on the week.This is because you don't have all of the labs that are timetabled,there are diffrent groups for the labs,so you only go to one or two labs a week.The same is true of the professionalism group meetings.They haven't gotten rid of the 8 am starts have they?They were such fun!

Woops, forgot to take that into account! Good news though:pac:

They seem to have spared us the pleasure of the 8am starts...for now at least..

The timetable is unique for each week of the semester. You will always have at least an hour free for lunch in the middle of the day as far as I can tell. But it is also too early to tell when we will finish on some days - eg those that end in labs, some of which are much shorter than others. I could pm you our timetable for the 1st semester if you'd like.

Yes - Chemistry, Biology and Physics consist of the same lectures, course content and exams as those set for many other courses including engineering, biomedical science, podiatry...

EPC and Anatomy/Contemporary topics in medicine are exclusively for pre meds.

We had 79 in our year, but that is very large for a pre med class and only came about because NUIG made a mistake and let too many people choose it. The number is usually closer to 60. I'm not sure how many went into 1st med as we wouldn't have crossed paths in lectures or anything.

Do all the pre meds know each other at this stage? Yes and no... It varies from people everybody knows to people who are only known to actually be in our course by a handful. This was determined purely by how much people integrated themselves - some people just never went to college because you can get away with it no problem. Don't even let that thought of 'crashing' influence you for a moment though! If you choose to go into pre med, somebody will just take your place!:rolleyes: I can promise you that our year (the ones about to start 1st med) are a fantastic crew and can't wait to welcome ye newbies!:) You will have no problem settling in and there will be a lot of other new people, of which we guesstimate there will be maybe 20-25? Plus mature students and Malaysian students.

This is true about having to wait until 3rd med, although that could be pushed even further to 4th med by the time our year gets there. In fact it may already have changed to that effect, the course is undergoing a few changes these days.

The patient-based stuff in pre med is great but be warned - it does not justify choosing it over 1st med solely for that experience. You will only go into hospital 4 times. Pre med was a brilliant experience but that was only one of a handful of aspects which made it so good!

Pre med counts for nothing in terms of your degree (provided you pass it!!), whereas every result from years 1-5 counts for NUIG medical students.

Thanks for the info, im kinda startin to lean back to 1st med now... Where are all the 1st meds stayin ? Are ye all in private accomodation now?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Gamer11 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Yodaboy. Yes, I'm sitting right on the random selection points (mores the pity). I'll forever shudder when faced with the dreaded asterix! I'm pretty ****** off!: )
    I'm right on 728...or a point short. it really is no fun. I would say though if you lost out on random selection in the first round you have an excellent chance in second rounds. Best of luck and I sincerely hope we will both be celebrating thursday...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Crush525

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'm right on 728...or a point short. it really is no fun. I would say though if you lost out on random selection in the first round you have an excellent chance in second rounds. Best of luck and I sincerely hope we will both be celebrating thursday...

I'm also a point short. A lady on the phone said there are a few on 729 who haven't got in first round but just remain hopeful for the second round.

Thanks for the info, im kinda startin to lean back to 1st med now... Where are all the 1st meds stayin ? Are ye all in private accomodation now?:)

Well then I might just be seeing you at orientation on the 12th :)

Ah we're fairly spread out, a dozen or so of us, myself included, are going to gort, maybe half as many to Dúnáras, the majority are getting apartments or houses around the place I reckon, and about a quarter of our year live at home.

Well then I might just be seeing you at orientation on the 12th :)

Ah we're fairly spread out, a dozen or so of us, myself included, are going to gort, maybe half as many to Dúnáras, the majority are getting apartments or houses around the place I reckon, and about a quarter of our year live at home.

Cool im stayin in Dun Aras, so ill see some of ye there! Would u be able to pm
    Me that time table?:)

Cool im stayin in Dun Aras, so ill see some of ye there! Would u be able to pm
    Me that time table?:)

I don't seem to be able to attach it to an email on boards so here ya go!

Crush525 wrote: »

I'm also a point short. A lady on the phone said there are a few on 729 who haven't got in first round but just remain hopeful for the second round.
    If it even comes down to 728* in the second round, we'll have a very good chance of getting it in later rounds. I think last year everybody on the point below (719 I think) got in eventually by the time the final round was issued. what are you planning to do if you don't get a 2nd round offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Crush525

If it even comes down to 728* in the second round, we'll have a very good chance of getting it in later rounds. I think last year everybody on the point below (719 I think) got in eventually by the time the final round was issued. what are you planning to do if you don't get a 2nd round offer?

I think we have a good chance too due to people not able to attend due to financial problems or not bothering to switch from a course. And I seen that last year it went from something like 720* to 719, so if the same happens, it looks good!

I'm currently getting a remark for my A-Levels (not sure if doing these or LC would give any advantages) and if I get an extra 3 marks, I'll actually be on 739 points. My backup is Science at TCD, which I will be happy enough to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

just wondering if anyone is planning to do the med----entry prep course for hpat this year trying to get group discount don't no anyone else doing it. 570 without discount 350 with.

jenny18 wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone is planning to do the med----entry prep course for hpat this year trying to get group discount don't no anyone else doing it. 570 without discount 350 with.

If you try the hpat 2012 thread-yes it has started already- you may have more joy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I can promise you that our year (the ones about to start 1st med) are a fantastic crew and can't wait to welcome ye newbies!:) You will have no problem settling in and there will be a lot of other new people, of which we guesstimate there will be maybe 20-25? Plus mature students and Malaysian students.

About 20 or so Irish students will go into first med, about half straight from LC and half from moving over from another course. The other 40-50 for our year were internationals, about 10 from Malaysia, 20-30 from the US/Canada and the rest from various countries. From what Ive heard this year, 40 extra Malaysian places have been added along with the 19 extra Irish places.

There are some EPC modules again in 2nd med, more in 3rd med, and then clinical placement starts in 3.2. Im fairly sure itll be the same for you.

FWIW, Id highly recommend premed, would have hated to have to put in the amount of work we have, in first year of college.

• Advertisement

FWIW, Id highly recommend premed, would have hated to have to put in the amount of work we have, in first year of college.[/QUOTE]

Also agree as previously stated failure rate in 1st year of medicine is 10% and that is people who have never failed an exam in their life!!! It is tough to learn a whole new language which is what first medicine is. If you get behind in the first term you are staring down the barrel of summer repeats. You can try it and drop down to premed if you like
    Many student do but not ideal.

In 2010, second round points did not come down from their first round, but in 2009, second round points came down from their first round, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

Just got an offer for UCD med so 2nd round offers for ucd will be 735 or less...apparently way more repeat applicants got offers. Presume other colleges will drop as well.

darling1 wrote: »
    Just got an offer for UCD med so 2nd round offers for ucd will be 735 or less...apparently way more repeat applicants got offers. Presume other colleges will drop as well.

Congratulations-well done

How did you get a second round offer this early?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Gamer11

Congratulations. Did UCD contact you directly or did CAO offer via website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Enda Kenny

Hey, just wondering if anyone could help me out here please? I'm considering going straight into 1st med but I don't have LC biology(i've done a year in college so i assume this is why i've been given the option)..how difficult/crazy is this in your opinion? With regard to the 'having no social life', how bad is this really? Is going out a couple of times weekly at the beginning of the semester and hardly at all coming up to exams realistic...Thanks for the rest of the info

• Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

How did you get a second round offer this early?!
    UCD admission office rang me as ucd orientation weeks starts mon and they wanted to make a provisional list of second round acceptances. Hope you get your course thrus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

Enda Kenny wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering if anyone could help me out here please? I'm considering going straight into 1st med but I don't have LC biology(i've done a year in college so i assume this is why i've been given the option)..how difficult/crazy is this in your opinion? With regard to the 'having no social life', how bad is this really? Is going out a couple of times weekly at the beginning of the semester and hardly at all coming up to exams realistic...Thanks for the rest of the info
    Well, I can't really answer seeing as I'm only going into first year myself. But in trinity, afaik, you have to take extra curricular biology to bring you up to the standard if you haven't done it to LC. So there must be a pretty strong emphasis on it in 1st med. Probably doable but restrictive by my understanding

• Advertisement

UCD admission office rang me as ucd orientation weeks starts mon and they wanted to make a provisional list of second round acceptances. Hope you get your course thrus!
    Congrats darling1! :D What offer did you get in the first round, RCSI?

UCD fell at least 3 points then...last year it only went from 725* to 725.

Advertisement