Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

jumpguy wrote: »
    darling1 wrote: »
    UCD admission office rang me as ucd orientation weeks starts mon and they wanted to make a provisional list of second round acceptances. Hope you get your course thrus!
    Congrats darling1! :D What offer did you get in the first round, RCSI?

UCD fell at least 3 points then...last year it only went from 725* to 725.
    Yep I did indeed get RCSI, I would definitely think other colleges would drop too as it's hardly just ucd, and I got the impression they may have dropped slightly more then 3 points. Good luck to anyone hoping for a second round offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Enda Kenny wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering if anyone could help me out here please? I'm considering going straight into 1st med but I don't have LC biology(i've done a year in college so i assume this is why i've been given the option)..how difficult/crazy is this in your opinion? With regard to the 'having no social life', how bad is this really? Is going out a couple of times weekly at the beginning of the semester and hardly at all coming up to exams realistic...Thanks for the rest of the info

Do you mind me asking what college you're going to? It could have a bearing on the answer to your last two questions.

The lack of biology is nothing to dwell on. The amount of material covered in the LC is nothing compared to what is done at 3rd level. It's a little boost but it wouldn't make sense to do premed purely to get a grounding in biology in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Gamer11

Yep I did indeed get RCSI, I would definitely think other colleges would drop too as it's hardly just ucd, and I got the impression they may have dropped slightly more then 3 points. Good luck to anyone hoping for a second round offer!

Darling1, you truly are a darling, spreading hope of the promised land. Thanks for sharing your great news (and your bee ditty on the 22nd!) For anyone who thinks boards is a bore, be here NOW! Best of luck in UCD, you've certainly cured me of my hopelessness!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Gamer11 wrote: »
    Darling1, you truly are a darling, spreading hope of the promised land. Thanks for sharing your great news (and your bee ditty on the 22nd!) For anyone who thinks boards is a bore, be here NOW! Best of luck in UCD, you've certainly cured me of my hopelessness!
    Are you on 729 or did you miss out on higher-point med school by random selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That's a huge drop, quite surprising tbh!!

It is good news for people hoping for other colleges though, as there were probably some people who accepted in RCSI, Galway, etc. who have now been offered UCD and will take it.

• Advertisement

That's a huge drop, quite surprising tbh!!

It is good news for people hoping for other colleges though, as there were probably some people who accepted in RCSI, Galway, etc. who have now been offered UCD and will take it.
    I hope there's a drop in Galway in 2nd round tbh, I dunno if my heart can take waiting for 3rd rounds! >.<

(I mean that in a literal sense <_<)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eventual

Galway 727 :eek::eek::eek: pleeeeeease.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Enda Kenny

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what college you're going to? It could have a bearing on the answer to your last two questions.

The lack of biology is nothing to dwell on. The amount of material covered in the LC is nothing compared to what is done at 3rd level. It's a little boost but it wouldn't make sense to do premed purely to get a grounding in biology in my opinion.

NUIG. Thats's good to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CDanMan

Congrats Darling1 :) I got the phone call myself from ucd yesterday. I was on 737 so very relieved, would have hated to miss it by a point. Good luck to everyone still waiting !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

eventual wrote: »
    Galway 727 :eek::eek::eek: pleeeeeease.....

i turned down an offer for galway on 729 so i'd say there will be a drop in 2nd round offers hopefully! good luck anyways!

• Advertisement

Will 2nd round points be in the papers tomorrow I wonder...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Could the drop in points for NUIG be similar to UCD?

Could the drop in points for NUIG be similar to UCD?
    Probably unlikely as it's further down the distribution curve, and there are therefore likely to be more people at each point, therefore less of a drop in the points threshold.

That said, I'm speculating, I don't *know* for sure, no-one will until tomorrow! :)

Probably unlikely as it's further down the distribution curve, and there are therefore likely to be more people at each point, therefore less of a drop in the points threshold.

That said, I'm speculating, I don't *know* for sure, no-one will until tomorrow! :)

:(

Thank you for your help Mr. Longhorn:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eventual

johndoe91 wrote: »
    i turned down an offer for galway on 729 so i'd say there will be a drop in 2nd round offers hopefully! good luck anyways!
    thanks

TCD's down to 739, UCD's down to 735.

No mention of anywhere else in the article. :mad:
    CAO POINTS for many of the most popular college courses are broadly unchanged in the second round of offers this morning.

However points for some engineering courses have declined as colleges struggle to fill places. While demand has been higher for these courses this year, many applicants are ineligible as they do not have Grade C3 higher-level maths in the Leaving, a requirement for most engineering courses.

The trend is most marked at Dublin Institute of Technology where points for electrical engineering and computer engineering have fallen from more than 400 to just over 300. At TCD engineering is down five points to 405.

Points for arts at NUI Maynooth – which were up in the first round – are now down by five points to 375. Points for the other main arts courses across the university sector are broadly unchanged. Arts at UCD – the largest undergraduate course in the State – remains at 355.

There is little good news for those seeking places in the much-coveted science and technology courses. Points for the vast majority of Level 8 or higher degree courses in these areas across the university sector are unchanged.

The second round generally has virtually no impact on hugely over-subscribed courses in medicine and dentistry. But this year medicine at UCD is down from 738 to 735 ; at TCD it is down from 741 to 739.

Reflecting the general weakness in business courses, commerce at UCC is down five to 420.

At DCU most courses are unchanged in this round but, surprisingly, sports science is down 10 points to 455.

AT TCD, history is down 15 to 460 while linguistics and political science is down 10 to 510.

Last night NUI Maynooth said it made some offers in this second round to fill the remaining 3 per cent of places available.

John McGinnity, assistant registrar, said: “NUI Maynooth is delighted with the outcome from CAO round one which has shown an increase in average points from 424 to 431, the university’s highest ever level.”

This year’s Maynooth intake has also seen a 30 per cent increase in the number of entrance scholars – students with 500 CAO points or more.

NUI Maynooth has made some offers in engineering (following the recently held second-chance mathematics examination) as well as in media studies, social science and arts.

In the first round of offers, published last week, the points required for entry to courses in science, technology and agriculture increased dramatically, as students were seen to opt for programmes with better job prospects.

The reply date for round two is 5.30pm next Wednesday.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0901/1224303293778.html

Will have the e-paper the second it's released though, and then all shall be revealed!

What time is the e-paper released?!

I think on the first-round it was out around 3AM...

What you hoping for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

I think on the first-round it was out around 3AM...

What you hoping for?
    eVeNtInE wrote: »

Galway but I know it won't come down by much:(

• Advertisement

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    GALWAY ofc!! :D

[OffTopic] God, it must really piss off UCD to see Arts in Maynooth 20 / 25 points higher!! [/OffTopic]

Galway but I know it won't come down by much:(
    What points are you on, may I ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Good luck everyone waiting on 2nd round offers tomorrow :) Hope everything works out nicely!

NUIG is only from 729* to 729. Gutted. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Gamer11

Hey Jumpguy, sorry to hear about the lack of drop in Galway. But take heart, I know at least 3 people declining it after second round. It's far from over yet for you. Methinks you'll be jumping for joy yet (pardon the pun)!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Crush525

I actually thought it would have dropped down a point, even to 728*, but I guess there are too many on 729. To have come so far and fail is so disappointing. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

Crush525 wrote: »
    I actually thought it would have dropped down a point, even to 728*, but I guess there are too many on 729. To have come so far and fail is so disappointing. :(

Don't be disheartened, you'll get there. I missed med by one point last year and thought the world was going to end! Repeated the LC and Hpat and got my first choice this year, med in RCSI. If you've come this close, you will get to do it one day, just keep up the determination that got you to 728! That is an incredible score.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

To Round Three or Four then. I'm almost certain things will work out. Just a bit later than you'd have expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

Laika_ wrote: »
    Don't be disheartened, you'll get there. I missed med by one point last year and thought the world was going to end! Repeated the LC and Hpat and got my first choice this year, med in RCSI. If you've come this close, you will get to do it one day, just keep up the determination that got you to 728! That is an incredible score.

hey stupid question but if your doing medicine dont you still only pay the 2,000 euro student levy plus injections. my mother was told today by another crazed mother that there 10,000 that you have to pay. this cant be right. repeating at the min

Advertisement