Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

jenny18 wrote: »
    hey stupid question but if your doing medicine dont you still only pay the 2,000 euro student levy plus injections. my mother was told today by another crazed mother that there 10,000 that you have to pay. this cant be right. repeating at the min

Already answered in hpat 2012 thread- yes the other mother is crazed and no there is no 10,000 you have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

drrkpd wrote: »
    Already answered in hpat 2012 thread- yes the other mother is crazed and no there is no 10,000 you have to pay.

haha thanks i knew i was write but not bothered listening to my mum whining about money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

jenny18 wrote: »
    hey stupid question but if your doing medicine dont you still only pay the 2,000 euro student levy plus injections. my mother was told today by another crazed mother that there 10,000 that you have to pay. this cant be right. repeating at the min

That's only relevant if you have completed a year of another course prior to your admission to med. Unfortunately, this happens to be the case for me so the fee of 10,200 is applicable! Otherwise, it's 2,000. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Crush525

Laika_ wrote: »
    That's only relevant if you have completed a year of another course prior to your admission to med. Unfortunately, this happens to be the case for me so the fee of 10,200 is applicable! Otherwise, it's 2,000. :)

I was on the phone to NUI Galway and they said I probably won't have to pay anything extra and I could just transfer over if I applied and was successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Crush525 wrote: »
    I was on the phone to NUI Galway and they said I probably won't have to pay anything extra and I could just transfer over if I applied and was successful?
    Are you going straight into first med? They might count the year you spent in university already as pre-med if so.

I've just kinda gotten into the mindset now that I'm repeating. I sorted out my books today after the utter mess they were in after the LC (everytime I finished an exam I didn't exactly put them back neatly...) If the offer comes, it'll come, but for now I'm gonna get working on UCAS and planning what to do about the HPAT. Waiting for the 2nd rounds was tortuous, I definitely can't do it again for third rounds. Thanks so much to everyone for all the support, it's been a very heartening (and somewhat humbling) experience in that respect, ironically in the face of very disheartening disappointment!

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    Are you going straight into first med? They might count the year you spent in university already as pre-med if so.

Well my offer at the moment is Science at TCD (which I am very happy to get) and since I have studied Biology, Chemistry and Physics for A-Level, and that I will pick them as part of the different modules in the Science course. I could get into the 5 year course if I do well enough, and of course get my CAO score up.

Well my offer at the moment is Science at TCD (which I am very happy to get) and since I have studied Biology, Chemistry and Physics for A-Level, and that I will pick them as part of the different modules in the Science course. I could get into the 5 year course if I do well enough, and of course get my CAO score up.
    Ohhh no, you won't have to pay fees if you've already started a course if you get an offer in a later CAO round the same year. So if you start science in TCD and get an offer in late September, you will be able to transfer fee-free (and you also won't have to pay double entry fees I think).

Ohhh no, you won't have to pay fees if you've already started a course if you get an offer in a later CAO round the same year. So if you start science in TCD and get an offer in late September, you will be able to transfer fee-free (and you also won't have to pay double entry fees I think).

Ah right, thanks for clearing that up, but if I reapply next year will I have to pay again?

Ah right, thanks for clearing that up, but if I reapply next year will I have to pay again?
    Depends, you could ask the university to count your year in science as pre-med (and so no tuition fees), but that's at the discretion of the university AFAIK. You're better off sending off an email to admissions and asking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

Depends, you could ask the university to count your year in science as pre-med (and so no tuition fees), but that's at the discretion of the university AFAIK.

I'm skipping pre-med but still eligible to pay first year fees. I emailed the college to ask them but they don't accept this as a reason to waive the fees. This is the case is RCSI anyway, it may be different in other colleges. I think you can avoid the fees if skipping pre-med in UCD, but I'm not entirely sure. As you said, it is at the discretion of the college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 MissBrightside

That's probably the case because in rcsi most cao applicants go straight into 1st med anyway - in most cases you can skip pre-med if you have 2 sciences. In NUIG and UCD it's generally accepted that almost everyone does pre-med so I'd imagine that's why they'd waive your fees if you went striaght in 1st med instead. :)

Sweet thanks for the replies! Just checked with student finance, and I'm going to have to pay £1 for my tuition fees at the moment. :p

Plus I'm thinking the same as you jumpguy, if only I had gotten those extra 3 marks in Maths, I may have even got into TCD. I was leaning towards Ireland over the UK for Medicine despite what people told me. Not sure if I'll apply again through UCAS and the UKCAT, but will repeat some A-Levels and the HPAT.

I kept thinking that I would get in Round 2, but it wasn't meant to be and I have giving up on the next rounds. But on the upside I get to go to Dublin study a promising course and who knows, it may even change my mind. Plus Medicine is a life long profession, so what's an extra year? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pb0408

Gamer11 wrote: »
    Hey Jumpguy, sorry to hear about the lack of drop in Galway. But take heart, I know at least 3 people declining it after second round. It's far from over yet for you. Methinks you'll be jumping for joy yet (pardon the pun)!
    just wondering are those three people declining galway? also have 728:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Gamer11

pb0408 wrote: »
    just wondering are those three people declining galway? also have 728:(

Yes, all 3 declining Galway. Go ahead dusting off those lc books, keep busy. But honestly, I'll be stunned if you don't get an offer for nuig on 728. Make sure you keep us updated as to any change in your 'gutted' status! You'll savour it so much more having gone through all this strife to get there. Best of luck to you!

Gamer11 wrote: »
    Make sure you keep us updated as to any change in your 'gutted' status!
    That was me! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Gamer11

That was me! :pac:

Pardonez moi! If I'm starting to confuse all 728'rs many apologies. You guys are SOOO much more than that number. Jumpguy I am restoring your title of 'the gutted one' after all you've been through in this leaving cert/hpat/cao/second round hell!

Keep us posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 snedr

got galway, would love to get rcsi, can anyone guess that chances of getting it on round 3/4??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

snedr wrote: »
    got galway, would love to get rcsi, can anyone guess that chances of getting it on round 3/4??

Depends on what you're on, it may drop another point due to the bigger drops in ucd/trinity but its very hard to tell. Galway won't have started by the time 3rd round offers are out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 snedr

ah only on 729 so unlikely i guess?

snedr wrote: »
    ah only on 729 so unlikely i guess?

Well its impossible to say, but be prepared either way. Medicine is medicine regardless of the college!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

Whens everyone moving to galway?:)

I would clarify with Galway if I were you. I cannot see NUIG accepting a year in Trinity Science as being the same as their premed. If you did a years science (esp biomed) in NUIG may be different.(NB Correction QueenofLeon says they do -see later post)

The fact is that if you spend a year in college anywhere in EU and next year transfer into medicine you or you parents are liable for €9,000 first year medicine fees plus obviously cost of living away from home.

Just wondered on the 2012 site why no-one ever thinks of a "gap-year" which will at least save the €9,000 fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pb0408

i hope u dont mind me asking...did you get offered galway on first or second round?....

I would clarify with Galway if I were you. I cannot see NUIG accepting a year in Trinity Science as being the same as their premed. If you did a years science (esp biomed) in NUIG may be different.

The fact is that if you spend a year in college anywhere in EU and next year transfer into medicine you or you parents are liable for €9,000 first year medicine fees plus obviously cost of living away from home.

Just wondered on the 2012 site why no-one ever thinks of a "gap-year" which will at least save the €9,000 fees.

Thanks, I'll ask again just to be sure.

Plus, are you suggesting that if I take a gap year I won't have to pay the €9,000 fees? I keep playing the idea over my head, but feel going to university this year is my best option.

I would clarify with Galway if I were you. I cannot see NUIG accepting a year in Trinity Science as being the same as their premed. If you did a years science (esp biomed) in NUIG may be different.

They will accept it as a year of basic sciences, the same as premed, and act as if you are proceeding into 2nd year (First Med), and therefore no fees. It is at the uni's discretion though, you should ring them to inform them and make sure, but most people don't realise and are contacted by the uni itself to tell them.

They will accept it as a year of basic sciences, the same as premed, and act as if you are proceeding into 2nd year (First Med), and therefore no fees. It is at the uni's discretion though, you should ring them to inform them and make sure, but most people don't realise and are contacted by the uni itself to tell them.

Thanks-honestly didn't know they accepted Science at another university. It is actually called progression into first med and that I do know but it is hard to find on the NUIG website. It is definitely at their discretion and I would email or write to them to check in each individual case.

Thanks-honestly didn't know they accepted Science at another university. It is actually called progression into first med and that I do know but it is hard to find on the NUIG website. It is definitely at their discretion and I would email or write to them to check in each individual case.

Ya, from what I know they have accepted Science, Pharmacy, and various denominated sciences like Biomedical.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 darling1

How many people are usually allowed skip pre-med in ucd?

Anyone have any updates as to what the 3rd round has dropped to in any of the colleges?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eventual

Galway 728*

Advertisement