Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pb0408

how do u know??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭johndoe91

eventual wrote: »
    Galway 728*
    I though all 2nd round offers have to be in by this evenin so they wouldn't start the 3rd round till next week?

... Sorry got that wrong they had to be in by the 7th!!!

just called rcsi and they said they sre full up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pb0408

do u know anything about galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭pinkballetdance

johndoe91 wrote: »
    just called rcsi and they said they sre full up!

Surely though if someone who has taken a place in RCSI gets an offer for TCD/UCD ect then RCSI would have an open place to offer in the next round? I thought thats how it worked? So right now they might be full up but if someone got an offer on the 3rd round for UCD ect then RCSI wouldnt be anymore....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 bamhaithliom

I know someone who switched from RCSI to Trinity after an offer in the 2nd round. Surely his place should be given out in the 3rd round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I know someone who switched from RCSI to Trinity after an offer in the 2nd round. Surely his place should be given out in the 3rd round?

Should be, and maybe they have already, after random selection. 3rd round would officially have started yesterday.

Should be, and maybe they have already, after random selection. 3rd round would officially have started yesterday.

Must be because the one in the admissions office was very quick to say she wa full up! Said she couldn't tell ne what the points were though which was strange but anyways gonna forget about it now! Ah well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

johndoe91 wrote: »
    Must be because the one in the admissions office was very quick to say she wa full up! Said she couldn't tell ne what the points were though which was strange but anyways gonna forget about it now! Ah well....

Maybe she just didn't want to get your hopes up by saying it had dropped to random selection on whatever you were on. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is wait to see if you get a later offer. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do if this year doesn't work out for you :)

Maybe she just didn't want to get your hopes up by saying it had dropped to random selection on whatever you were on. Unfortunately the only thing you can do is wait to see if you get a later offer. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do if this year doesn't work out for you :)

yeah I suppose... Ah well I did a year of law already so I'll just stick with it! Not the end of the world! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Does anyone have any tips for the hpat? I'm in 5th year and doing an online prep course (well known) and was wondering how much per day/week should I be doing eg. how many drills or how long per day?
    I hope you all get Medicine somehow, don't give up! I know someone who repeated and was short 2 or 3 points (including hpat) so went into another course and repeated the hpat and got in. They said that if they didn't get in that year they would repeat. If you really want Medicine stick at it and you will get it :)
    Thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

Does anyone have any tips for the hpat? I'm in 5th year and doing an online prep course (well known) and was wondering how much per day/week should I be doing eg. how many drills or how long per day?
    I hope you all get Medicine somehow, don't give up! I know someone who repeated and was short 2 or 3 points (including hpat) so went into another course and repeated the hpat and got in. They said that if they didn't get in that year they would repeat. If you really want Medicine stick at it and you will get it :)

get the two acer books and try them if ur a girl then ul need 2 work hardest on section 3 chess helps with this as it helps u spot patterns if ur a boy section two be your problem so watch loads of chick flicks to help ur emotional understanding. i got 80th percentile 179 overall 64 60 56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

What I did was got as many of the sample papers and questions together as I could...They have 2 sample papers for the HPAT afaik and then there are Australian and English versions also.

I did a section or 2 every saturday morning and made it a routine. Realistically, if you're studying for the LC, you won't have the time during the week to do it. Make sure you are strict with the timing when you're practising. Have a number of seconds per question and stick to it! This is the main problem with the exam IMO. After doing it, coming out,all I could hear was people saying they had been happy with what they had done! If you don't finish, no matter how happy you are with the one's you've answered, you are significantly reducing your chances.

This system worked for me as I got what I wanted. Good Luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

I did one hour per day for just over a month before the exam. I also did some full exams at weekends, again all through the infamous prep site. I got 96%ile. Get used to practicing for long periods of time as the test is very long and you will need to be used to keeping your concentration active until the end. If you're only in fifth year then you have more time, so you could start doing 20 minute drills and work your way up. No need to over-do it from the very start! And if you don't do well, REPEAT the hpat, it can definitely be improved upon! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

May have been discussed before, but do people think that studying for the hpat makes a big difference? I did the 1st practice paper the night befoire the exam and I got 208 but I don't think I would have gotten any better with more study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

eia340600 wrote: »
    May have been discussed before, but do people think that studying for the hpat makes a big difference? I did the 1st practice paper the night befoire the exam and I got 208 but I don't think I would have gotten any better with more study.
    WOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Allie79

eia340600 wrote: »

It depends on your score for section three as it's the one you can improve the most by studying, to do well in it without any prep requires an amazing innate ability for spatial reasoning ( or unbelievably lucky MCQ guessing!). For me, I know I wouldn't have done very well without someone showing me how to approach those questions and it was still my lowest mark. However if you got 80 or 90 in it without prep there would be little point in a prep course for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

jenny18 wrote: »
    get the two acer books and try them if ur a girl then ul need 2 work hardest on section 3 chess helps with this as it helps u spot patterns if ur a boy section two be your problem so watch loads of chick flicks to help ur emotional understanding. i got 80th percentile 179 overall 64 60 56

so watch loads of chick flicks to help ur emotional understanding.

Must be the most hilarious advice as to how to learn about emotional empathy I have seen

drrkpd wrote: »
    so watch loads of chick flicks to help ur emotional understanding.

Must be the most hilarious advice as to how to learn about emotional empathy I have seen

hey if you can think of a better way

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

hey if you can think of a better way

Jenny I think it shows great lateral thinking but not necessarily a total understanding of the male "brain"!!!

• Advertisement

drrkpd wrote: »
    Jenny I think it shows great lateral thinking but not necessarily a total understanding of the male "brain"!!!

i dont think males understand the male brain beyond sex football food sleep
    but then my brain goes shopping chocolate diet make-up
    and thanks for the great lateral thinking comment u seem cool hope u got r get medicine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

i dont think males understand the male brain beyond sex football cars gaming alcohol food sleep
    FYP! :cool:

(And Jenny, a gentle reminder that this site is highly allergic to textspeak.)

FYP! :cool:

(And Jenny, a gentle reminder that this site is highly allergic to textspeak.)
    Dear male with unusual sexual name that leads me to believe your a student,
    I apologize profusely for my anacolutha I beg for the sites forgiveness for my bad grammar and spelling and promise to abolish all future text language and I shall work on the swearing. I refuse to stop the pointless arguing with individuals which i have been unfortunate not to meet anywhere other than on this as being an adolescent i find the highly amusing.
    Yours faithfully,
    Princess Guinevere Anastasia spank.
    PS: to what does the acronym FYP refer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

(And Jenny, a gentle reminder that Randy is highly allergic to textspeak.)

FYP :P
    PS: to what does the acronym FYP refer?

It means fixed your post! :)

It means fixed your post! :)

To my dismay i have realized this as he continuously comments fruitlessly under my posts and has even locked one of the threads I began and I only started it returned two days later and it was locked infuriatingly. Thank you for your help in the dismaying problem. I may be mistaken but are acronyms invented for purposes such as shortening commonly used phrases is this not technically text speak Randy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

To my dismay i have realized this as he continuously comments fruitlessly under my posts and has even locked one of the threads I began and I only started it returned two days later and it was locked infuriatingly. Thank you for your help in the dismaying problem. I may be mistaken but are acronyms invented for purposes such as shortening commonly used phrases is this not technically text speak Randy?

Oh lol.

(x10,000,000,000)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Dear male with unusual sexual name that leads me to believe your a student
    You have led yourself up the garden path, I'm afraid! :)

Though admittedly I was originally dubbed with that nickname in my student days.
    I apologize profusely for my anacolutha I beg for the sites forgiveness for my bad grammar and spelling and promise to abolish all future text language and I shall work on the swearing.
    Delighted to hear you have finally got the point about textspeak.

No-one expects perfect grammar or spelling all the time, by the way, and we all fall down in that area from time to time. That said, presenting your point intelligibly and in reasonable English will usually mean that other posters will give it more attention and respect.

I can't say I recall noticing you swearing much, nor would I claim to be blameless in that respect myself, but obviously we do expect that posters don't take it over the top, especially in a forum like this one.
    I refuse to stop the pointless arguing with individuals which i have been unfortunate not to meet anywhere other than on this as being an adolescent i find the highly amusing.
    The nature of an online discussion forum is that it thrives on argument ... though generally we should all try to avoid pointless ones.
    )
    From the charter of this forum, Ciara, written by the then mod, seamus, in 2002.
    seamus wrote: »
    No txt spek pls. it suxors.
    You have been around Boards long enough to know that the attitude that textspeak is not welcome here holds across the site, and was put in place by the owners (and original admins). Some forums are stricter on it than others (often reflecting the forum topic / userbase), and LC is by no means the strictest, but nowhere is it considered acceptable to constantly use it.
    To my dismay i have realized this as he continuously comments fruitlessly under my posts and has even locked one of the threads I began and I only started it returned two days later and it was locked infuriatingly.
    A thread which had 97 posts, and countless re-runs and re-cyclings of an old argument which constantly bedevils this forum, I think.
    I may be mistaken but are acronyms invented for purposes such as shortening commonly used phrases is this not technically text speak Randy?
    You may indeed be mistaken. Textspeak is a relatively modern invention, postdating the mobile phone; acronyms have been around for centuries, and many are in universal usage even by governmental bodies.

Now can we get back on-topic, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Did anyone at all get any offer on 3rd or 4th round here? Oddly quiet. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

jumpguy wrote: »
    Did anyone at all get any offer on 3rd or 4th round here? Oddly quiet. :confused:

out of interest what are you doing now jumpguy? Just repeating hpat or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

out of interest what are you doing now jumpguy? Just repeating hpat or what?
    I'm back in school repeating the LC and HPAT this year. Playing around with the idea of just getting a job and taking a year out, and doing the HPAT alone, but I'm not sure.

Craic go leor.

Advertisement