Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options
1535455565759»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

jumpguy wrote: »
    out of interest what are you doing now jumpguy? Just repeating hpat or what?
    I'm back in school repeating the LC and HPAT this year.

oh Jesus. Best of luck with it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Laika_ wrote: »
    I did one hour per day for just over a month before the exam. I also did some full exams at weekends, again all through the infamous prep site. I got 96%ile. Get used to practicing for long periods of time as the test is very long and you will need to be used to keeping your concentration active until the end. If you're only in fifth year then you have more time, so you could start doing 20 minute drills and work your way up. No need to over-do it from the very start! And if you don't do well, REPEAT the hpat, it can definitely be improved upon! :cool:

Is that enough? I saw somewhere that doing it just once a week isn't enough that it should be continuous rather than in one go?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm back in school repeating the LC and HPAT this year. Playing around with the idea of just getting a job and taking a year out, and doing the HPAT alone, but I'm not sure.

Craic go leor.
    Repeating the LC as well? That's a massive waste of money tbh. You already got 575 and an A2 in Maths (Or was it an A1?). Even if you go up in the LC the difference would be marginal overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Repeating the LC as well? That's a massive waste of money tbh. You already got 575 and an A2 in Maths (Or was it an A1?). Even if you go up in the LC the difference would be marginal overall.

Its a difficult situation to make a decision on tbh. No one is guaranteed to go up in the HPAT the second time around, so a static HPAT result may well need another 5 extra LC points to get it next year.

What did you decide to do in the end?

Its a difficult situation to make a decision on tbh. No one is guaranteed to go up in the HPAT the second time around, so a static HPAT result may well need another 5 extra LC points to get it next year.

What did you decide to do in the end?
    TCD Pharmacy and i'll mull over the idea of repeating the HPAT over the next 2 months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 skeeen

I'm lost really as to whether I should go for Medicine. In 5th year and got 8A 4B in JC, guidance/careers counsellor recommended all sciences, applied maths and higher level core subjects.Top stream. I truly am passionate about it, but I'm unsure as to whether I truly will make the cut for universities, the HPAT is like an intelligence/aptitude test, that tests your cognition and intellect at a basic level, something you can't change or improve through hard work. Although I do very well in school, all those abstract reasoning questions on the test make my head spin, and I struggle on most. I'd have to begin serious study almost right now if I wanted medicine, but I'm really unsure if I should even bother as the HPAT seems like a fixed test for naturally smart people.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

skeeen wrote: »
    the HPAT is like an intelligence/aptitude test, that tests your cognition and intellect at a basic level, something you can't change or improve through hard work.

Ehh nah not really! It's just about maximising your own skills and learning the methods behind the exam, its not comprehensive enough to test any of that cognition and intellect stuff. :)

Although I do very well in school, all those abstract reasoning questions on the test make my head spin, and I struggle on most. I'd have to begin serious study almost right now if I wanted medicine, but I'm really unsure if I should even bother as the HPAT seems like a fixed test for naturally smart people..

They made my head spin too! But I just knuckled down and got to grips with it as best I could. The questions are meant to be difficult, and noone expects to get them all! I got the same JC results as you, and I shnaked into Med so don't be worrying about smartness or any of that jazz! :pac:

Enjoy 4th year, think about med and also try nd contemplate an alternative career too. Remember, you've 10 level 8 CAO choices and 10 level 6/7 choices so if you get med great, and if you not you can just do something else you're into :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 skeeen

That's reassuring I guess...how did you score in the HPAT out of interest?
    But yes, I suppose it is about maximizing your skills, but in the end they do reach a threshold, unlike traditional tests in which, at least I've always believed, anyone can do exceptionally well given the input of the right amount of effort/ work, even of others can do so in less. It seems at bit unfair if I'm totally honest. The GAMSAT doesn't have the same abstract reasoning mumbo jumbo does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭jenny18

I'm lost really as to whether I should go for Medicine. In 5th year and got 8A 4B in JC, guidance/careers counsellor recommended all sciences, applied maths and higher level core subjects.Top stream. I truly am passionate about it, but I'm unsure as to whether I truly will make the cut for universities, the HPAT is like an intelligence/aptitude test, that tests your cognition and intellect at a basic level, something you can't change or improve through hard work. Although I do very well in school, all those abstract reasoning questions on the test make my head spin, and I struggle on most. I'd have to begin serious study almost right now if I wanted medicine, but I'm really unsure if I should even bother as the HPAT seems like a fixed test for naturally smart people.

personally i got 179 in the hpat and did awful in my jc 2 Bs 7 Cs 1 D so i don't think its anything to do with just being smart understanding the test is a big part of it but handiest way to see what 2 do in 5th year is try the hpat this year no harm but people do generally get better at it as they get older so if you get like 140 etc think of it as a good starting point

jenny18 wrote: »
    personally i got 179 in the hpat and did awful in my jc 2 Bs 7 Cs 1 D so i don't think its anything to do with just being smart understanding the test is a big part of it but handiest way to see what 2 do in 5th year is try the hpat this year no harm but people do generally get better at it as they get older so if you get like 140 etc think of it as a good starting point
    You can't do the HPAT until you're in sixth year. You need a valid CAO number for the year you intend to take the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

B1 in maths, only 3 marks off an A2. Sent it off for a recheck, we'll see what becomes of it.

Not so sure how much of a waste of money it is gaffster, it's either that or spend money on a course that'd only be intermediary to entering medicine (hopefully), which'd probably cost a looooot more including fees, accommodation and general living expenses. I didn't do TY so I've a year to spare. There's not much pressure on the LC this year so the real challenge is sorting out my UCAS application and being ready for the HPAT. If I didn't get medicine it was in my head all summer that I'd repeat - I didn't expect to do so well in my LC however, and nor did I expect to miss it by a point in 1st/2nd rounds, and random selection in the third. But I still missed it.

While my attitude may have been different a year ago, some events of the last 6 months or so have really solidified my decision and commitment to study medicine. I'll only know in hindsight whether repeating my LC + HPAT was the right decision or not. We'll have to see. With no TY though, time is on my side.

B1 in maths, only 3 marks off an A2. Sent it off for a recheck, we'll see what becomes of it.

Not so sure how much of a waste of money it is gaffster, it's either that or spend money on a course that'd only be intermediary to entering medicine (hopefully), which'd probably cost a looooot more including fees, accommodation and general living expenses. I didn't do TY so I've a year to spare. There's not much pressure on the LC this year so the real challenge is sorting out my UCAS application and being ready for the HPAT. If I didn't get medicine it was in my head all summer that I'd repeat - I didn't expect to do so well in my LC however, and nor did I expect to miss it by a point in 1st/2nd rounds, and random selection in the third. But I still missed it.

While my attitude may have been different a year ago, some events of the last 6 months or so have really solidified my decision and commitment to study medicine. I'll only know in hindsight whether repeating my LC + HPAT was the right decision or not. We'll have to see. With no TY though, time is on my side.

Best of luck Jumpy :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

Is that enough? I saw somewhere that doing it just once a week isn't enough that it should be continuous rather than in one go?

Well, I said I did one hour per day for over a month before the exam- every day! :confused: I also did a full practice exam at the weekends in the run up to the exam. It was enough for me! I guess everyone is different. Obviously, some people will need to put more effort into it than others. You should know yourself when you do the tests online and see your scores. I generally scored quite high on them(~80/90 %ile) so I knew I was doing enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Best of luck Jumpy :pac:
    Who? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Laika_ wrote: »
    Obviously, some people will need to put more effort into it than others.

^^^ this. The spectrum ranges from people working every day at it to people (like myself) who basically did the official sample paper and turned up on test day. 96%ile is 2010, at TCD Med now. You could get lucky like me and just really suit the test and how it's put together or you might need to work very hard to get the skillsets up to par with people more naturally talented at the obscure questions you get asked. If you feel like you can't learn more, do no more. All up to you.

Who? :P

:eek: mort for me :rolleyes:

Advertisement