Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tomred911

I would like to join and benefit from reductions. Am interested in ******** course in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

95 squidgeroons is a lot of money for Acer eh? Considering there'll be over 3000 people sitting it, that's close on €300,000 for them to hire rooms, hire invigilators and correct them... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I've been speaking to lots of peps in my class and the general consensus is that the 'tute is a waste of money and Med Entry is good. Just thought I'd say...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055799819&highlight=rcsi

Jakers lads, they dont tell you about this in the prospectus :P ah well, grin and bear it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Two things.

First off does anyone know when you get conformation of your center for the Hpat?

Secondly has anyone done the test booklet 2? Section 1, questions 35 to 40 were like :eek:.

Thanks. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I don't think you know until you get sent out your ticket which is about 2 weeks before the hpat :)

I don't think you know until you get sent out your ticket which is about 2 weeks before the hpat :)

Thanks queen. Your a very helpful person. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Looking to apply for the HPAT tonight or tomorrow. Just wondering if I have to pay the CAO application fee to get my CAO number?

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Looking to apply for the HPAT tonight or tomorrow. Just wondering if I have to pay the CAO application fee to get my CAO number?

Yup. I think its €30 online before like January 21st or something :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Baugette

Hey guys I wanna do the med-entry course on the 8/9 of Jan 2011 in Griffith College and I'm looking for someone who could form a group with me so that we both get a discount. Please PM me! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 k.stewart

Jaafa wrote: »
    Two things.

First off does anyone know when you get conformation of your center for the Hpat?

Secondly has anyone done the test booklet 2? Section 1, questions 35 to 40 were like :eek:.

Thanks. :D
    haha yea I've gone through booklet two.. section 1 is my worst section :P

I haven't heard anything from them since I registered in November :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Lads.

I hate them pick the middle of the sequence questions. How the FACK do you know where the sequence begins? Lets say the sequence is this...

Left - Right - Up - Down - Middle

Up is middle of the sequence, right? But couldn't the sequence just as easily be...

Middle - Left - Right - Up - Down

Right? And then right would be the middle of the sequence?

So fúcking frustrating! :(

EDIT: Wait actually, that sequence WOULDN'T make sense...cause how would you tell it's going from left over to right sporadically and then up to down? I think I've just had an epiphany everyone... :P

jumpguy wrote: »
    Lads.

I hate them pick the middle of the sequence questions. How the FACK do you know where the sequence begins? Lets say the sequence is this...

Left - Right - Up - Down - Middle

Up is middle of the sequence, right? But couldn't the sequence just as easily be...

Middle - Left - Right - Up - Down

Right? And then right would be the middle of the sequence?

So fúcking frustrating! :(

EDIT: Wait actually, that sequence WOULDN'T make sense...cause how would you tell it's going from left over to right sporadically and then up to down? I think I've just had an epiphany everyone... :P

Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 denisodwyer

What would you need to score in section 1 for 180-190 marks?

What would you need to score in section 1 for 180-190 marks?

Well obviously it depends on the marks you get in the other section! I may be mistaken, but I've been told anything from 33-44 upwards is pretty much top marks, in terms of percentile :)

Btw, does anyone know how many people actually sit HPAT?

Well obviously it depends on the marks you get in the other section! I may be mistaken, but I've been told anything from 33-44 upwards is pretty much top marks, in terms of percentile :)

Btw, does anyone know how many people actually sit HPAT?
    As many people applied for Med I imagine. Like 3,000 or so last year I think:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

And isn't there only about 475 undergraduate Med places? Makes you think :rolleyes:

theowen wrote: »
    As many people applied for Med I imagine. Like 3,000 or so last year I think:rolleyes:

Shows how many people are lacking confidence. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blogger 3000

when's the deadline for signing up?

Its usually jan 20th right?

when's the deadline for signing up?

Its usually jan 20th right?

Yup, all the info on their website.

• Advertisement

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    And isn't there only about 475 undergraduate Med places? Makes you think :rolleyes:
    That's a fairly decent ratio actually. Much harder else where to get into Med, which you'll find out if you get Med and the dozens of Canadians tell you their horror stories of failing to get in over in Canada:p

theowen wrote: »
    That's a fairly decent ratio actually. Much harder else where to get into Med, which you'll find out if you get Med and the dozens of Canadians tell you their horror stories of failing to get in over in Canada:p

Serious? And they ony have postgrad med over there, which means they're like 28 by the time they're doing their internships!

Apparently the difference there is that theres a very small number of med school places, but then once you're qualified theres a much bigger number of consultancy places available, so you can be sure to be a consultant quicker and with less competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

smallholl wrote: »
    Im in first year med atm. I got in with 777 points. i did 2 prep courses, the bruce one and the career services one. i wudnt av got in the 100th percentile witout them! i also bought some phycometric books to practice on and downloaded the umat practice papers also. its all about practice. U wouldnt no where to start witout trying it afew times b4hand.
    Can you give me the names of the books please?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

A useful ‘guessing’ strategy for these type questions involves looking at the 5 shapes, and dividing them into two groups of 3 and 2, by identifying something that the ‘3’ have in common and something that the ‘2’ have in common. The 3 would have to be the first, middle and last shape. The 2 would have to be the second and fourth shape.
    The third shape is in the middle of the first and last, and also in the middle of the second and fourth. This creates two patterns with the same answer, which makes it easier to pick the middle.

• · The middle picture must be of the group of three.
    • · It must fit in between two of the group of three.
    • · It will also be in the middle of a pattern of three with the other two pictures.

Note that the entire pattern does not have to be worked out to guess the answer this way, and so this may be a faster way to work out the answer. However, it is not applicable to all ‘pick the middle’ questions and does not promise a correct answer in the way that establishing a definite pattern would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 domasor

Hey guys, I'm applying for dentistry at UCC and TCD. Do you know if HPAT is required for dentistry? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

domasor wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm applying for dentistry at UCC and TCD. Do you know if HPAT is required for dentistry? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

Nope. I'm in Tcd at the moment and really enjoy, so good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 domasor

Junior D wrote: »
    Nope. I'm in Tcd at the moment and really enjoy, so good luck
    Thanks, how are you finding your experience at TCD, it's my first choice, I would love to go there.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

domasor wrote: »
    Thanks, how are you finding your experience at TCD, it's my first choice, I would love to go there.:D

Ah its good craic now alright, but to be honest I hated it at the start. We were doin the Big Bang, Carbon Hybridization and Photosynthesis at the start and that wasnt what I signed up for. But if you power through it, its a good course. You get to know all the years there well because everyone socializes in the common room. And as far as I'm aware, you get a general science degree at the end of 3rd year, thus why its called Dental Science and not Dentistry. Its a very demanding course though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Why were you doing those things? Can't imagine patients photosynthesize all that much?:confused:

Advertisement