Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 domasor

Junior D wrote: »
    Ah its good craic now alright, but to be honest I hated it at the start. We were doin the Big Bang, Carbon Hybridization and Photosynthesis at the start and that wasnt what I signed up for. But if you power through it, its a good course. You get to know all the years there well because everyone socializes in the common room. And as far as I'm aware, you get a general science degree at the end of 3rd year, thus why its called Dental Science and not Dentistry. Its a very demanding course though
    Ohh, I see, well I hope I get on the course and hopefully start next year. Thanks for the info and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Why were you doing those things? Can't imagine patients photosynthesize all that much?:confused:
    The only thing that I can think of is the situation where people's teeth are so bad that photosynthetic bacteria start growing on their gums :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

Brahs i took a look at the HEAR scheme.... and you only need 580 points for undergrad medicine in ucd and that is the lc+hpat :eek::eek::eek: .... i am not a happy camper because... i am aiming for the 725 points..and out of no where i find that this hear program is giving 20% off points to those who apply through that scheme!!!! it is not fair.......does that mean that the people who apply through that scheme dont have to meet the required 480 points in the leaving????????

brownlad wrote: »
    Brahs i took a look at the HEAR scheme.... and you only need 580 points for undergrad medicine in ucd and that is the lc+hpat :eek::eek::eek: .... i am not a happy camper because... i am aiming for the 725 points..and out of no where i find that this hear program is giving 20% off points to those who apply through that scheme!!!! it is not fair.......does that mean that the people who apply through that scheme dont have to meet the required 480 points in the leaving????????
    580 points adjusted Leaving Cert points?! That's nothing for Med, are you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Medicine is a restricted course. HEAR only counts for unrestricted courses. Therefore, HEAR is only applicable to Medicine for fees, not points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

Medicine is a restricted course. HEAR only counts for unrestricted courses. Therefore, HEAR is only applicable to Medicine for fees, not points

hmmmmmmm http://www.ucd.ie/access/images/hear/UCD%20DARE%20HEAR%20Entry%20Requirements_2011%20%20v4.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Don't think so, seeing as I got into Med this year with HEAR...:p

Not exactly true. Those accepted into HEAR compete against eachother for the place. So if two people are up for the last place the person who say got 710 will get it over the person who got 707. The lowest in my class is 710 or so. So I'd imagine for UCD, UCC etc it could go down, at the most, to 700.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Sorry then my mistake, was told last year that HEAR doesn work with Med.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Awwh damn... My mate's 18th is the night before it... :S He'll have to get by without me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Did my CAO form the other night. Took a deep breath and decided against Medicine. It doesn't seem worth the intense work it requires, and if I'm in that mindset, it musn't be for me.
    Going for Occupational Therapy though so I'm not too far from my ambitions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

DARE and HEAR do work, I know a neighbour of mine got DARE with 550 points. Is in Dublin doing medicine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Just wondering, does anyone know of any books for the Hpat? Not necessarily the emotional section, just the other two parts? I think they're called psychometric testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Have you had a look at the UMAT practice papers? Its the company that runs the hpat (ACER) except the UMAT is the Australian version. I haven't seen them but from the sample questions on the website it seems identical to the HPAT so they'd be worth a look.

Some IQ tests (or that sort of thing, theres a lot of online psychometric tests) could give you extra practice on the section 3 type material.

Edit: Since they're the same questions as are on the hpat website (woops :P) you should probably check that the sample books are different, I had heard they were though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

Hi, feel like an idiot posting this but I need help! Is it too late for me to apply for medicine now, I have done the HPAT already and have enough points. I applied to trinity today on the cao website but not sure if the application deadline has passed and how to let them know about my previous lc results and all that. Very frazzled.
    I am already in premed in ucd but long story short there's been a bereavement and I'm not sure that with taking time off that I'll pass my exams and I don't want to do premed again so was considering going straight into a 5 year course in a different college

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

lctake2 wrote: »
    Hi, feel like an idiot posting this but I need help! Is it too late for me to apply for medicine now, I have done the HPAT already and have enough points. I applied to trinity today on the cao website but not sure if the application deadline has passed and how to let them know about my previous lc results and all that. Very frazzled.
    I am already in premed in ucd but long story short there's been a bereavement and I'm not sure that with taking time off that I'll pass my exams and I don't want to do premed again so was considering going straight into a 5 year course in a different college
    The deadline for new applications is the 1st of February (with there being a far more expensive late-applications deadline later than that), so you're not late to apply. You should put the year you previously did the LC into your form (there's space for it somewhere).

Tbh, I'd call the CAO and enquire directly.

Also, beware, if you barely scraped into medicine last year, and points increase again this year, then you mightn't get offered a place.

lctake2 wrote: »

Are you interested at all in carrying on in UCD? Universities are usually quite understanding about things that can make students take time off or put them off their studies. Maybe if you had a chat with the welfare officer or the head of premed in UCD they could advise you about what to do? You've still got months left before your exams and even then you could repeat them in August if you didn't do well the first time round? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

Thanks for the replies. I would like to stay here if I can. They are being very understanding in UCD but there is only so far that they can bend the rules for people and I want to know that I have a back up if things don't work out. I wouldn't really be thinking that far into the future except that I knew the cao had to be done soon.
    As far as points go I don't have any worries at all. I called the cao but forgot to ask about whether I need to send in my hpat results, will ring back again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Hey lads does anyone know of any online resources that might be useful when preparing for the Hpat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JimmyTheShimmy

Just a quick question regarding undergraduate entry into Irish medical schools. I understand you need to take the HPAT, but is that the only selection criteria? Are there any other 'hurdles', so to speak, e.g. interviews?

Suppose I score highly enough in the HPAT, am I accepted immediately or is the HPAT just one phase of the selection process?

Many Thanks

• Advertisement

Just a quick question regarding undergraduate entry into Irish medical schools. I understand you need to take the HPAT, but is that the only selection criteria? Are there any other 'hurdles', so to speak, e.g. interviews?

Suppose I score highly enough in the HPAT, am I accepted immediately or is the HPAT just one phase of the selection process?

Many Thanks
    You'll need the Leaving cert or A levels of course. No interviews though. You need an honour in two sciences, a third language and maths, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JimmyTheShimmy

Thank you for the swift response.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Jimmy, have a read of the "Entry to Medicine" link here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Hey I was wondering with the elections being held on the 25th of February will this effect the test itself on the 26th?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

Jaafa wrote: »
    Hey I was wondering with the elections being held on the 25th of February will this effect the test itself on the 26th?
    Even if the venues for hpat were used as polling stations, I'd say they'd have no problem setting up for the exam the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Even if the venues for hpat were used as polling stations, I'd say they'd have no problem setting up for the exam the next day.

But they would only be counting them on the 26th........ But i supose the hpat crowd have booked the places so theh probably will get preference ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Toastghost

My friend is spending 2-3 hours a day now preparin for the hpat med entry test 2011.

But i have done no preparation whatsoever and I am very interested in studying medicine in my 3rd level education so im not just doing the hpat for a laugh.

So how can I prepare for the hpat? Money is scarce at the moment so I cannot afford one of the preparation courses.

I would like to do a full trial paper muyself,at home, and check my score and then consult my guidance consuler on how to improve my scores.

So how can i prepare for the hpat the best way possible?

Can anyone give me a trial paper?

thx guys :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/ToastGhostHD

Theres a lot of HPAT threads if you do a search for them, they're quite informative. Did you buy the official ACER sample paper? Can't get much closer to the real thing in terms of question length and timing.

Other than that, the Australian UMAT papers are said to be quite good but it might be too close to the date to order them. Online psychometric tests or IQ tests can be similiar to Section 3.

A lot of things are important on the day itself besides the questions themselves, timing is the most important imo so practice only giving yourself a set amount of time for each question (the guidelines are in the front of the sample hpat book for timing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Toastghost

Hey guy im new to boards so forgive me if i sound "noobish" or am posting in the wrong section for this but here it goes.

HAs anyone got the practise papers for the hpat from acer?
    its 3 weeks to go before the exam and the website said it may take around 2 weeks to deliver so im worried they may not come in time or i ownt get proper time to study them and keep up with school work.

So has anyone purchased these papers recently and they hace artived in time?

Also it was printed in the independent yesterday that the number of applicants for medicine has increased this year so they assume points will too.

Im aiming for 550 points in the L.C. so I hope to achieve 180-200 points in the hpat for a secure spot.

• Advertisement

2-3 Hours a day preparing for the HPAT?

Really? They must be neglecting their actual LC if they spend that amount of time on the HPAT.

Advertisement