Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got rid of his soother, BUT.....

Options
  • 09-09-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

My fella is 3 and 8 months and he lost is dodo (soother) 4 days ago and hasnt had one since, but he has stared chewing his clothes, (the neck the sleaves and the bottom of his jumper) any idea on howto stop his chewing without giving him back his dodo (soother)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I wonder is there any way of making it taste unpleasant, like the stuff you buy to stop kids biting their nails? One or two licks of that would kick tha habit into touch, I still shudder at the thoughts of the taste over 20 years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I thougt of that but i dont think you can get it in a spray..... i'll look though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My little one did this with the sleeves of her tops but with warm weather when tshirts were on she couldn't, she tries to chew her hair now when she gets the chance but I honestly think its just keeping on top of her and telling her to stop, still prefer her doing that than sucking on a soother. Maybe if the house isnt too cold make sure you take his top off in the house until he gets out of the habit.

Thanx

I'll try that, but i got a feeling he need something to keep his mouth going, i saw him chewing his thumb but her prefers his clothes (thankfully he has short hair so no hair chewing). I bet i'll catch him with his trousers in his mouth if i have to take his t-shirt off, he will probably eat the bottom off his t-shirt aswell....... he will be going around naked eating the curtains, lol.

* keep an eye on your ladys hair eating, as hair eaters can hair hairballs......but cant cough them up like cats...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Our fella (nearly 5 mths) has never has a soother and chews the bejesus out of everything. Reckon he is teething. We have a few grippy toys and things he can hang on to, but aren't to bothered about the chomping really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

I thougt of that but i dont think you can get it in a spray..... i'll look though
    Personally I would avoid that. Just spent the first night with my little one bawling because she could not suck her thumb at bedtime. Reason being that she had her thumb dosed with the stuff during the day.

She could not get passed the taste at bedtime and it was impossible to wash off (she could still taste it). Ended up coating her thumb in plasters to get some peace.

I think that some kids just need some kind of oral comfort and in my experience cannot do without it. A chemical bad taste solution is potentially only making things pure uncomfortable for them, making them uncomfortable isn't really a great solution as the above poster said 'still was able to taste it 20yrs later'.

There must be better options. I would be interested to hear them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭AvaKinder

Okay I'm not a parent so this may be way off base, but is it possible that when at home you could give your child ice cubes made with Ribena or some other fruit juice? you could dilute it slightly more than usual but it might help them stop sucking their clothes/hair.

just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

How about a Taggie blanket or something??? takes it away from the clothes...
    http://retailstore.haptic.co.uk/range/17

Thanx for all your advice,

update:

Well progress has been made, he is not chewing on his clothes as much. He sort of did it himself without too much intervention from me. He does have the odd chew (when upset) but not as much as before and he has also stopped asking for his 'dodo'.

Advertisement