Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is this happening?

Options
  • 09-09-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

vlcsnap-2010-09-09-16h59m20s199.jpg?t=1284048014

Radeon 9800XT Graphics card.

When viewing online from youtube the vid is fine, but when I download one and view it it looks like this.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thats because theres nothing wrong with the input/data; the output is fcuked up. Something's wrong with the card :/ is it overheating? Can you find out the temperature of the card? Use a freeware program like coretemp or gpu-z.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ati 9800 is a old card. Thats about 6-7 years yeah? That would actually be EOL for most chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Get the latest beta drivers, there was a prob at one stage recently with nvidia drivers playing videos and having artefacts like that, especially with the latest flash encoded/streaming stuff.

I'd give that a go first anyway. I know it's an ATI card but might be similar type of problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

GPU-Z results..

h4g.png
    ddk.png

Theres nothing apparently wrong from those GPU-Z screens but like cuddles points out its a 7 year old chip. Depending on its usage, thats good long life for a card.

You'd easilly find a much newer card (08'/09') that will fit into the same power and interface for about €25 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Yeah, guess you're right. I've had my moneys worth I suppose.
    What would you suggest as a replacement? €25 sounds about as much I want to spend and don't need anything to fancy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Not going to happen. Average prices of low-end cards have shot up and AGP cards are now scarce to boot - even something as old and manky as your old card will hit you for well over €40 - not including shipping :o And I can't find any AGP cards from the last four generations on the (irish) market for less than €80 :eek:

That doesnt strike with research i did just 6 weeks ago, or less.

$25 @ newegg will land you at least 8400s and stuff like that. As basic as the 8400gs is, it should still be able to nuke a 9800xt.

Check ebay, thats probably the easiest and cheapest place to find one in the price range im talking about. Newegg doesnt ship to ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Overheal wrote: »
    That doesnt strike with research i did just 6 weeks ago, or less.

$25 @ newegg will land you at least 8400s and stuff like that. As basic as the 8400gs is, it should still be able to nuke a 9800xt.

Check ebay, thats probably the easiest and cheapest place to find one in the price range im talking about. Newegg doesnt ship to ie.

AGP or Pci-ex? You can grab a 8400gs here for 20 euros, but good luck with a AGP card here. Actually that generation was really the last AGP gen, all the rest were just a afterthought.

Here is the best range of AGP cards in Ireland at the moment. http://www.elara.ie/products/graphicsa.asp?available=checked

Edit, would recommend the 3450 or 3650. The 6200 is a low end card five generations ago, would be worse then the 9800. The 3450 and 3650 would be low to low-mid cards from about two-three generations ago and would be a considerable improvement over the Nvidia 6200.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If any old AGP card will do then perhaps one of these from from adverts will suffice?

http://www.adverts.ie/270640/hardware/agp-graphics-cards-job-lot/page-2/#poststart

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

kleefarr wrote: »
    vlcsnap-2010-09-09-16h59m20s199.jpg?t=1284048014

Radeon 9800XT Graphics card.

When viewing online from youtube the vid is fine, but when I download one and view it it looks like this.

:confused:
    The last time I saw that exact same screen was on my sony vaio and the nvidia graphics chip was fried.It was a manufacturing fault with a cartain batch of processors! I know you have ATI but I recognised the screen straight away! May not be the same problem though.Just a thought!

Advertisement