Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling - USB Broadband

• 09-09-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hey,

I will be doing a bit of travelling over the next couple of months.... will be going to several countries (mostly UK and continental Europe) and want to be able to connect to net using a Huawei E122 broadband dongle (without getting too far into it, this specific dongle will work for the application I will be performing and some others won't, so would like to stick with this dongle rather than buying others)

Anyway, what I'm wondering is....if I have an unlocked E122 (from ebay or somewhere), and I go to say the UK for a week, can I just buy a regular e.g. O2 pay as you go sim card and stick that in?

Thanks for any help

Phil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Yeah as long as the modem is unlocked you should be able to put another proivders sim card into it no problem would work out alot cheaper than getting ripped off just for roaming with an irish sim card !!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 philhway

ah good stuff.... but i should have been a bit more specific with my question, will 'ordinary' voice sim cards work in the dongle rather than data sims? (I've heard it can be difficult to get a data sim without buying a dongle as well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

At up to 820 Euro a Gigabyte. You need a Data package on a Phone sim or a data sim with a data package.

A sim is a sim. All the same really. but it's the settings that the operator puts on the the sim is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

watty wrote: »
    At up to 820 Euro a Gigabyte. You need a Data package on a Phone sim or a data sim with a data package.

A sim is a sim. All the same really. but it's the settings that the operator puts on the the sim is the problem.

Holy ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

philhway wrote: »
    Hey,

I will be doing a bit of travelling over the next couple of months.... will be going to several countries (mostly UK and continental Europe) and want to be able to connect to net using a Huawei E122 broadband dongle (without getting too far into it, this specific dongle will work for the application I will be performing and some others won't, so would like to stick with this dongle rather than buying others)

Anyway, what I'm wondering is....if I have an unlocked E122 (from ebay or somewhere), and I go to say the UK for a week, can I just buy a regular e.g. O2 pay as you go sim card and stick that in?

Thanks for any help

Phil

This thread may be of use to you http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055967639

Edit: to use your mobile for data and tether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 philhway

Thanks for replies folks, right so i definitely need a data package then!

Does anyone know if a typical pay as you go sim in Ireland/UK would come with a data package included, or is it something I would have to ask them for?

Advertisement