Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solar Panels

• 09-09-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Does anyone have any experience with <SNIP> in roof solar panels?

My plumber will be fitting the solar panels soon, 4 with a 500Ltr tank. They are included in the overall price for the plumbing and heating.

I started looking for info on these panels and could not find much. Could someone give me hte heads up on them. Where are they made? How they compare to other in roof panels etc.

The house is an ICF house which should mean a very small heating requirement.I have under floor heating throughout, approx 2,600 sq ft. With this in mind I was toying with the idea of using the solar panels to run the under floor heating. One thing that occurred to me though was that the solar panels are least efficient in winter, if they work at all. This is the time of year with the highest heat requirement. Would a boiler have to be used for the winter? Would the system then be pointless as the heating wouldn't be on during the summer?

Mod Edit: No company names on thread please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saibhne

KingPuck wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience with <SNIP> in roof solar panels?

My plumber will be fitting the solar panels soon, 4 with a 500Ltr tank. They are included in the overall price for the plumbing and heating.

I started looking for info on these panels and could not find much. Could someone give me hte heads up on them. Where are they made? How they compare to other in roof panels etc.

The house is an ICF house which should mean a very small heating requirement.I have under floor heating throughout, approx 2,600 sq ft. With this in mind I was toying with the idea of using the solar panels to run the under floor heating. One thing that occurred to me though was that the solar panels are least efficient in winter, if they work at all. This is the time of year with the highest heat requirement. Would a boiler have to be used for the winter? Would the system then be pointless as the heating wouldn't be on during the summer?

PM sent with supplier details

There are differing views on solar and space heating in Ireland, my opinion is that it doesn't make economic sense because of the reasons that you outlined above. It makes perfect sense for domestic hot water production though provided the system is designed around the water requirement of the household.

500 Litre cylinder and 4 flat plate panels is a big system for DHW for an average family but I assume in your case the 500Lt cylinder is meant to act as a store for your underfloor heating.. Having said that it's unlikely your central heating will get any energy in winter after your DHW requirement has been satisfied..

Advertisement