Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought a camera from Pixmania - no English Manuals or CD

• 09-09-2010 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I bought a Canon 7D from Pixmania.ie in July but when it arrived I found the mauals were in German, French, Italian and Dutch but not in English :mad:

Has this happened to anyone else either with Pixmania or any other camera supplier?

Having contacted Pixmania support 3 times I did not receive a reply until I posted my problem on the Pixmania Ireland Facebook page. They then came back with basically "contact Canon" :rolleyes:

I know I can download the manuals in PDF format but I have not found where I can download the software. Has anyone any ideas on hoe to obtain these? I have contacted Canon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

To view the Pdf's you can download Adobe Reader from adobe.com for free i think, http://get.adobe.com/reader/ ,failing that i'm sure you could find some pretty good free instruction manuals via google, rightly Canon should send you out some as a valued customer IMO :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

I bought a Canon 1000D from them last may and it was the same story.
    It pissed me off that they couldnt have even bothered to stock the correct region camera (manuals) but in the end it took them so long to ship the camera in the first place that I let it slide.

Im not sure about the CDs that came with it, I seem to recall the utilities disk being in english however.

The canon website has the manuals as PDFs and as linked above Adobe Reader will let you view them and also print them from the viewer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i've bought a fair few bits from them and in fairness to them, they do go to the trouble of telling you you won't get a manual before you buy.

''Hard copy manuals supplied : Information not provided ''

''Downloadable manual
    (1 download available in a language of your choice after purchase )''

any software/driver discs should be available to download from canon, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

I have the PDF file and I can read it but it would still be nice to have the proper compact manual that could fit into the camera bag!

I had not open the pack to see what language the disk was in as I assumed it would be the same and that I would have to return the entire package unopened.

I might have a look and see what language it is in!

artyeva wrote: »
    i've bought a fair few bits from them and in fairness to them, they do go to the trouble of telling you you won't get a manual before you buy.

I did not see that anywhere when I was buying the camera! As they have a .IE store (which was the one I was buying the camera from) I automatically assumed the manuals would be in English — after all they did supply a 3 pin plug!

any software/driver discs should be available to download from canon, no?

Only the updaters are available from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I bought a Pentax K7 from them and the manual was in French. Am I bothered no. Why? Because I bought it from them as it was significantly cheaper than anyone else. If that's the sacrifice I have to pay for their low price then I don't mind at all.

My advice to you OP would be just to suck it up. You bought it from them for a reason.

atlantean wrote: »
    I did not see that anywhere when I was buying the camera! As they have a .IE store (which was the one I was buying the camera from) I automatically assumed the manuals would be in English — after all they did supply a 3 pin plug!

Only the updaters are available from what I can see.

they have a highlighted and specific box on the page of the canon 7d that as it's a french product they'll supply you with an adaptor plug - and the quotes in my post were copied and pasted from the tech spec sheet from the 7d.... how much clearer do you expect, dude??!!! :p

as has been said - they omit these things for a reason - to keep costs down - but they make you so aware of what you will and won't get in the box that you kinda have to suck it up and revel in the saving you made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

When I bought my Nikon from them i downloaded the hard copy but have never really had a use for it,thought service and delivery was grand, pixmania are reliable for sure not like some other sights ive heard about

maybe try a local camera shop might me able to help ya out with a spare one if not someone on photgraphyireland forum may have one they arent using

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They then came back with basically "contact Canon"
    regardless of the argument about the price that other people have advanced, your relationship is with them, not canon.

regardless of the argument about the price that other people have advanced, your relationship is with them, not canon.

true.

but if i see an ad for a car that says ''this is a left hand drive car'' and ''there are no hubcaps on it'' and i accept those terms of sale and pay for the car, i wouldn't expect to go back to the seller and give out about the fact that the steering wheel is on the left and there isn't any hubcaps on it... :o

• Advertisement

true.

but if i see an ad for a car that says ''this is a left hand drive car'' and ''there are no hubcaps on it'' and i accept those terms of sale and pay for the car, i wouldn't expect to go back to the seller and give out about the fact that the steering wheel is on the left and there isn't any hubcaps on it... :o

But the listing I looked at did not say there would not be any English language manuals of software! It did say that it was a French version and this product requires a mains adapter for Ireland. Pixmania supplies a free adapter when you buy this product. Is a mains adaptor more important that the manuals or Software? They know the item is intended for Ireland as I was ordering off the .IE website!

The idea that we should just accept their shoddy service just because the item was cheaper from them is nonsense! If I had purchased the item from a .FR or even a .COM site I could accept this but as you have to jump through hoops to get a .IE site here I would have thought they would have had some presence here and would cater for this market.

did you read the terms and conditions of sale page on their site before you bought it?

edit: hardly hoops btw : If you are based outside Ireland, you can submit documentary evidence from the relevant authority in your country, or a signed letter from your bank manager, solicitor or accountant on their headed paper confirming that you trade under this name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You need to try and research what you're buying. It's the digital age, if you're hunting down the best deal it's up to you to be aware of what you're purchasing. I don't mean to sound harsh OP but there are plenty of threads on Boards about Pixmania, there are loads in the Photography forum alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I bought a Canon 7D from Pixmania.ie in July but when it arrived I found the mauals were in German, French, Italian and Dutch but not in English

Consider yourself lucky you got the camera... you might have received a television or a toaster... or if you were really unfortunate nothing.

Pixmania have the fastest growing bad reputation in the world of online electrical sales.

People are posting threads in Consumer Issues about them every other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭fran426ft

If you still haven't/don't want to open the CD but want to get the software try this

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/install_canon_software.html

manuals for all the software and the software itself can be got from http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_digital_slr_cameras/eos_7d#BrochuresAndManuals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I just go a lumix from pixmania and that came with a cd in about 9 languages, i saved it to my computer and after about an hour i figured out how to transfer it to my sony pocket ereader and can carry the manual around if needs be.

I did go on to the panasonic web site and i could have downloaded the manual from their website, dont know if canon have that option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maggiewaggy

bought a htc touch pone from them everythig including phone was i spanish.refused to resolve it but directed me to someother crowd.i sent it back it cost me 268 euros but now they will only give me back 175 euros because of a rupturd packaging(i had to open it)i dont know what to do now credit card company say they cant help. i bought it through paypal.i refuse to allow them to take almost 100 euros off me for the price of a box!can any body help me please?!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

can't you change the language's on pretty much any phone in the settings menu? surely you must know someone who speaks a little spanish to change it for you, it can be quite obvious to find anyways.

file a paypal dispute if you're not willing to take it back, that might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

I bought a Canon 400D in about 2008 from Pixmania, got four different language manuals no English and their reply was contact Canon. I emailed Canon and they gave me the address of some company in England who sent me on the English manual. Unfortunately dont still have the name and address.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I bought a Canon 7D from Pixmania.ie in July but when it arrived I found the mauals were in German, French, Italian and Dutch but not in English :mad:

I know it's not the same but see if you can pick up a Magic Lantern book for your model. They are way way better than the official manual that comes with the camera (or should come).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maggiewaggy

tried all that its more a computer than a phone so the software installed is spanish. ive sent it back now anyways. i just think its scandelous to charge me nearly 100 euros for opening the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

If you purchased the HTC and had it delivered to Ireland then it could be reasonably believed that a reasonable expectation existed on the part of the customer/consumer regarding the language option(s) of the device in this particular regard. If this is indeed the case, and with this particular fact in mind, then I would pursue the matter further to attempt to seek a resolution. You shouldn't be expected to pay unreasonably for someone else's mistakes. Again, if this is the case then I would contact them again to try and have the matter resolved - advising that you intend directly contacting the head office of Pixmania, or the head office of the group of companies controlling Pixmania, to try and have the matter appropriately addressed - and that if the matter isn't then appropriately addressed that you would attempt to seek whatever redress is available elsewhere. I know it could be extra hassle, that you may not need, and you might not get any more than your money back - but I think it should still be pursued for the sake of it - if, of course, this is indeed clearly the case... I would also, and why not, seek some form of compensation for the unnecessary hassle and bother involved... Keep in mind too that the law has its own way of seeing and understanding things, and has its own language - and also that a company should always have a proper regard for a customer's proper interests ... Best of luck if you pursue the matter further...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

yeeesh, pixmania... Back in 2004 when I ordered my Nikon D50 from them, I got the printed manual in German. Suited me fine, it made for a nice read in my native language, but I was thinking at the time, what on earth are they thinking, sending this to Ireland with a non-English manual??
    Looks like they're still at it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

It did say that it was a French version and this product requires a mains adapter for Ireland. Pixmania supplies a free adapter when you buy this product. Is a mains adaptor more important that the manuals or Software?
    yeeesh, pixmania... Back in 2004 when I ordered my Nikon D50 from them, I got the printed manual in German. Suited me fine, it made for a nice read in my native language, but I was thinking at the time, what on earth are they thinking, sending this to Ireland with a non-English manual??
    Looks like they're still at it :(

It's a european version of the camera, which makes it cheaper -so you get better value.

@OP, you've just answered your own question really, it clearly states on the website that it's a French version, so why would you assume that it would have manuals in English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Has this happened to anyone else either with Pixmania or any other camera supplier?

Having contacted Pixmania support 3 times I did not receive a reply until I posted my problem on the Pixmania Ireland Facebook page. They then came back with basically "contact Canon" :rolleyes:

I know I can download the manuals in PDF format but I have not found where I can download the software. Has anyone any ideas on hoe to obtain these? I have contacted Canon.

This is from their terms and conditions on their website

"All the accessories contained in the bundles sold by Pixmania.com are compatible brand accessories and not manufacturer’s brands. Please note that some products' instruction manuals do not come in English. If the instruction manual does not come in English, this information will clearly be featured in the technical information sheet of the specific product.
    Please note that in the case where you buy a product which does not have an English instruction manual you will be able to download the English manual by clicking on a link in the “order tracking” section of the Pixmania website."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Good Irish men dont need manuals

This also applies to flat packs from Ikea , computers and fixing your plumbing.

*Disclaimer.

using the manual is probably a good idea and should be noted.

Advertisement