Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooking non-oven chips in the oven

Options
  • 09-09-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

picked up birdeye chips in the local shop earlier

currently in the oven now except on the back says nothing about cooking them in the oven just shallow fry or deep fry??? what the fork!!

thought all chips are doin in the oven and im going to eat them so if someone could tell me if thats safe or not....cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

It's frozen potato, what's not safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You can cook them in the oven.. a frozen spud is a frozen spud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

ah yeah thats what i was thinking its just weird the way it doesnt have the oven option on the back!! cheers

sure i sometimes put potato waffles in the toaster!!

birds eye bear!
    he lives in your freezer

aka willem dafoe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

You're cooking non-oven chips in the oven?! Good christ. You might, MIGHT get away with it. But for god's sake, do not even attempt something else crazy like trying to google Google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

I have done before, safe to do but dont taste as good as oven chips from oven do

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

madma wrote: »
    ah yeah thats what i was thinking its just weird the way it doesnt have the oven option on the back!!
    There is no option since they are not oven chips.... I remember when oven chips started to come out here. They have added oil so in effect they roast/fry better in the oven, many frying chips will have no added oil, though many do and many are par cooked.

Oven chips will already have oil and this does not really matter if you are frying them, so you will often see oven chips with instructions for frying on the back. In general oven chips cost more per kg so most people would not buy them with the intention of deep frying them. I do remember when I first saw oven chips you would rarely see frying instructions on the pack.

I have done frying chips in the oven before, just rolled them in oil first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Frozen Chips you need to fry are not part cooked as well as oven chips. I could be wrong there and I'm sure someone will correct me!

When I buy the "have to fry chips" by mistake, aaaagh, and I REAAAAALY want to do them in the oven... I sigh, and then I..

Put them on a plate and nuke for a few minutes. While still hot sprinkle a bit of of oil over the nuked chips, then oven cook for 20 minutes or so. They come out ok for me.

The real reason for my angst is that I don't have a deep fryer or a chip pan. Never will either.

But I do make my own oven chips. Barely cook the chip shaped spuds. Drain really well. Dose in olive oil/veg oil or whatever. Leave to cool. You can freeze them at that stage, or cook them in the oven immediately or later on (put the oiled chippy spuds in the fridge though).

I love big fat chips. Hate those skinny excuses.

Advertisement