Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAAW at it again

Options
  • 09-09-2010 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/30631

Blair Switch Project — GAAW encourage people to move Blair’s book in shops
    Galway Advertiser, September 09, 2010.

By Kernan Andrews

When Bertie Ahern published his autobiography many felt it would be better suited to the fantasy section of bookshops rather than to non-fiction.

Tony Blair helped bring peace to Northern Ireland, but his alliance with George W Bush brought death and destruction to Iraq, so similarly there are those who feel his book would not be out of place in the crime or horror sections.

The Galway Alliance Against War is now calling on anyone who objects to the stance Mr Blair took on Iraq to “indulge in a bit of fun subversion” in any bookstore selling Blair’s memoirs.

“We want people to move the book from where it is on display to the more appropriate crime or horror sections,” said PRO Niall Farrell.

However Mr Farrell acknowledged Mr Blair’s “constructive part” in the peace process.

“He did not have the ideological hang-ups that prevented the Tories – and also Fine Gael – from engaging with Irish Republicans,” he said. “He could plainly see it was in Britain’s interest to talk with Sinn Féin and the IRA.”

Nonetheless Mr Farrell remains very critical of the former British prime minister’s actions in the Middle East.

“We cannot ignore Blair’s role in the slaughter in Iraq,” he said. “While he worked for reconciliation in the North, he has turned Iraq, the most secular state in the Arab world, into a sectarian hell.”

Any bookstore owners here want to reply to this shower of numptys? If I owned a shop I certainely would not want anybody messing around with any of my P.O.S/Displays.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Why do you love Blair so much?

I doubt it's that he likes Blair, more that he hates the GAAW - and I am inclined to agree with him. Things like this are just ignorant and will make the staff members jobs that bit more annoying - it's not their fault that this book is being stocked. It's also petty and childlike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

McDougal wrote: »
    Why do you love Blair so much?

Because he is soooooooooo Dreamy...:pac: :rolleyes:

I doubt it's that he likes Blair, more that he hates the GAAW - and I am inclined to agree with him. Things like this are just ignorant and will make the staff members jobs that bit more annoying - it's not their fault that this book is being stocked. It's also petty and childlike.

It's a peaceful form of protest and a little bit of fun. No need to get up in arms about it.

It's a peaceful form of protest and a little bit of fun. No need to get up in arms about it.

Is it fun for the staff members? Is it fun for the people wanting to buy the book? It's something a child would do but it's being advocated by fully grown adults. It's quite pathetic really.

• Advertisement

Is it fun for the staff members? Is it fun for the people wanting to buy the book? It's something a child would do but it's being advocated by fully grown adults. It's quite pathetic really.

Jesus whatever

Write a letter to the Sunday Independent if you're so worried

Jesus whatever

Toys gone from your pram?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm neither here nor there with GAAW but that's just childish. It's not like it'll help any, besides bringing some attention to GAAW and Tony's involvement with George.
    A publicity stunt is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Great, another thread about the GAAW. I'm beginning to think that these threads should be prohibited by the forum charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Have they nothing better to be at? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Tony Blair has a book out? I didn't know this!

Thanks GAAW for alerting me to this!

jenno86 wrote: »

Buy it now!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

jenno86 wrote: »

The protests cetainly brought the book to my attention, going to buy it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,593 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is just daft - seriously. I'm not particularly a Blair fan and don't totally agree with the way he went about things but seriously????? All thats gonna happen here is people get evicted from bookstores and/or a heated situation develops in a book store with some over enthuastic "Supporter of GAAW" - which to be honest is highly ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Jesus whatever

Typical response from the GAAW. They spout nothing but baseless conjecture and leftie propaganda, then when they are invited to engage in any type of meaningful discourse they are simply unable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,593 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just wondering what is GAAW's actual agenda.
    What wars are they against?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Love him or loathe him, Blair was instrumental in the Peace process in Northern Ireland.

I don't care for the guy, I won't be buying his book but I respect what he did in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Oh moving a book into the fiction section, how ****ing original.

anyone up for following the GAAW and anytime they move the book move it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

...... and a little bit of fun. No need to get up in arms about it.

Hmmm, the Salthill airshow was a bit of fun too. Who got up in arms (or should that be balloons?) over that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

anyone up for following the GAAW and anytime they move the book move it back?

You might have more than GAAW to follow round the shop! Just saw a link to a fb page asking for people to move the book to the crime section - over 11 thousand fans on it.

11,000 people? Pfft - that means following around a lot of people. Don't know if I can be that arsed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

brilliant. :D

must check easons at lunchtime to see if their endeavors have been successfull

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

brilliant. :D

I thought it was a great idea too :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

It's a bit lame imo, it's not going to affect Tony Blair, and it's not going to bring any dead Iraqi's back to life. Perhaps they should concentrate their efforts on raising money for Iraqi war orphans or something a bit more constructive than annoying the workers of Easons and making their job a little more difficult.

It's a bit lame imo, it's not going to affect Tony Blair, and it's not going to bring any dead Iraqi's back to life. Perhaps they should concentrate their efforts on raising money for Iraqi war orphans or something a bit more constructive than annoying the workers of Easons and making their job a little more difficult.

Why don't you raise money for war orphans?

Who says I don't?

Also, what good does this action do for Galway?

Someone intending to buy the book goes into Easons, can't find it, buys it on Amazon, money leaves Galway, leaves Ireland, local business and it's employee's suffer.

Epic win book movers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Hi Niall :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

That FB page I mentioned doesn't single out a particular bookshop, it's all bookshops. And it looks like the page was started in England.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement