Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAAW at it again

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Also, what good does this action do for Galway?

Someone intending to buy the book goes into Easons, can't find it, buys it on Amazon, money leaves Galway, leaves Ireland, local business and it's employee's suffer.

Epic win book movers!

It's nothing but attention seeking to get into the media. I doubt even 2 or 3 books will be moved. But if you think moving books will destroy the local economy then that's your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,593 ✭✭✭✭kippy

McDougal wrote: »
    It's nothing but attention seeking to get into the media. I doubt even 2 or 3 books will be moved. But if you think moving books will destroy the local economy then that's your opinion.

It gives Galway a seriously bad name. Its not the kind of thing Galway should be getting into the media for.
    GAAW gave the place a bad enough name with their antics over the air show.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well it's not like anyone has ever mentioned GAAW to me when I said I live in Galway, so I'm not sure about the "bad name" part.
    Then again I don't move in aviation circles where I'm sure it's discussed a lot.

However Galway is known nationwide as a hippie town so moving books about fits perfectly into an already established image.

biko wrote: »
    Well it's not like anyone has ever mentioned GAAW to me when I said I live in Galway, so I'm not sure about the "bad name" part.
    Then again I don't move in aviation circles where I'm sure it's discussed a lot.

However Galway is known nationwide as a hippie town so moving books about fits perfectly into an already established image.

Yeah the hippie town that elected one of Irelands two PDs in the last election

kippy wrote: »
    It gives Galway a seriously bad name. Its not the kind of thing Galway should be getting into the media for.

Gives Galway a bad name? You need to get out more

• Advertisement

When this thread is finished, can we put a ban on the GAAW being mentioned on this forum? I really think we've discussed everything we can about them in a rational manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

When this thread is finished, can we put a ban on the GAAW being mentioned on this forum? I really think we've discussed everything we can about them in a rational manner.
    How about some irrational debate then?
    How about some uncalled-for remarks about old unreconstructed Stalinists/Provo supporters having a hard neck describing themselves as Peaceniks?
    No?
    I'll get my coat so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

LOL you sound like michael crowe "oh don't highlight the poisonous water making people sick lads, it will give Galway a bad name".

hilarious. :D

Gives Galway a bad name? You need to get out more

I get out plenty, more than most GAAW members I would suggest.

LOL you sound like michael crowe "oh don't highlight the poisonous water making people sick lads, it will give Galway a bad name".

hilarious. :D
    Do you not think that GAAW is a negative side to Galway?
    I mean what exactly do they stand for?

• Advertisement

WTF? Go and protest outside the strip club on Dominic St. if you want to express some right wing moral outrage and spare us your sh!te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

no I don't think so at all.

I think the councillors and their playground bullying and scrapping does a lot more damage to galway. GAAW stands for what they and people like them think are injustices - fair play to them for not being afraid to voice them. If there were more people in the country like this then maybe we wouldn't be in the sh*t we are in now. Sadly tho we have become a country of lick a**es and would rather cower in the corner or pretend everythign is okay than to stand up and be counted.

Thankfully the day of the revolution is coming tho - people of ireland can't take much more sh*t being thrown at them.

Long live GAAW and anyone else that has the goonies to stand up for what they believe.

WTF? Go and protest outside the strip club on Dominic St. if you want to express some right wing moral outrage and spare us your sh!te

Eh,
    What makes you think I am right wing? I dont even know what that means to be honest.
    I gave a relatively straightforward opinion based on prior personal experience and asked a relatively straightforward question. I dont think it deserved a retort such as that.

no I don't think so at all.

I think the councillors and their playground bullying and scrapping does a lot more damage to galway. GAAW stands for what they and people like them think are injustices - fair play to them for not being afraid to voice them. If there were more people in the country like this then maybe we wouldn't be in the sh*t we are in now. Sadly tho we have become a country of lick a**es and would rather cower in the corner or pretend everythign is okay than to stand up and be counted.

Thankfully the day of the revolution is coming tho - people of ireland can't take much more sh*t being thrown at them.

Long live GAAW and anyone else that has the goonies to stand up for what they believe.
    I aint particularily against what they appear to stand for (in this particular instance anyway), as I mentioned earlier, just the ways and means they go about their business.
    What they stand for in itself is a bit unclear to me.

Eh,
    What makes you think I am right wing? I dont even know what that means to be honest.
    I gave a relatively straightforward opinion based on prior personal experience and asked a relatively straightforward question. I dont think it deserved a retort such as that.

Why am I not suprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

This didn't even remotely deal with the quoted post. It's just rude to a fellow poster. Another day I'd yellow card this, but instead I'll just issue a general warning. Keep it civil or keep out of it.

/moderation.

Why am I not suprised?

I've no idea to be honest.
    You label me right wing, I have no idea what right wing is, how can I be right wing?

Have they nothing better to be at? :rolleyes:

Only on that one day a month when they have to sign on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Just wondering what is GAAW's actual agenda.
    What wars are they against?

I personally believe it to be Anti-British/Anti-American/Anti-Israeli. Then again where were they when Saddam gassed the Kurds, or when Russia invaded Georgia, i never once seen a protest about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The Vocal Minority Strike Again

• Advertisement

"I said that to Harrison Starr, the movie-maker, one time, and he raised his eyebrows and inquired, 'Is it an anti-war book?'
    'Yes,' I said. 'I guess.'
    'You know what I say to people when I hear they're writing anti-war books?'
    'No. What do you say, Harrison Starr?'
    'I say, "Why don't you just write an anti-glacier book instead?"'
    What he meant, of course, was that there would always be wars, that they were as easy to stop as glaciers. I believe that too.

And even if wars didn't keep coming like glaciers, there would still be plain old death"

- Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

Honestly? There's no point in being anti-war because there's sweet frick all that we can do about them. And what the GAAW will do won't actually do anything whatsoever. Let them protest, fine. But they can never be forgiven for ruining the Salthill Airshow - the biggest free highlight of the summer.

Steyr wrote: »
    I personally believe it to be Anti-British/Anti-American/Anti-Israeli. Then again where were they when Saddam gassed the Kurds, or when Russia invaded Georgia, i never once seen a protest about that.

Where did Saddam get the gas from? And the Turks armed by the Americans are every bit as oppressive of the kurds but you don't care about that. And the Georgians and Americans arming and egging them on were every bit as responsible for that conflict as the Russians. Also the Russians did not occupy Georgia, they temporaily crossed into it. It's not comparable.

All your arguments are based upon anti-intellectualism and appealing to people's lowest common denominator. It's ridiculous to say we are anti-American because we opposed the illegal invasion of Iraq. I was called anti-european for campaigning against the Lisbon Treaty. Its a meaningless insult from an uneducated person. It's typical tabloid media stuff to accuse anti-war protestors of being against the American and Israeli people.

Why don't you get up on your arse and do something instead of sitting on here all day telling people when they can and can't protest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Okay, whatever about people disliking the GAAW I don't like the misconception that they were to blame for the cancellation of the airshow. The airshow was cancelled because the required sponsorship was not available, which was a result of Galway businesses being less profitable due to the recession. It was a very expensive show to run and the money simply isn't there anymore unless it piggybacks off other events such as the ocean race.

amiable wrote: »
    The Vocal Minority Strike Again

Are you the ignorant "majority"?

- Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

Honestly? There's no point in being anti-war because there's sweet frick all that we can do about them. And what the GAAW will do won't actually do anything whatsoever. Let them protest, fine. But they can never be forgiven for ruining the Salthill Airshow - the biggest free highlight of the summer.

Do you believe ordianry people can change anything or should we just settle for ticking a piece of paper every 5 years to decide whether Fianna Fáil gombeens or Fine Gael gombeens get the mercs?

Where did Saddam get the gas from? And the Turks armed by the Americans are every bit as oppressive of the kurds but you don't care about that.

Thats not the point, It doesnt matter where he got the Gas, nearly every Nation manufactures Weapons or Components for weapons, the Irish Defence Force Operate Swedish SAM's/American Anti Armour Missile/British Artillery/EX Royal Navy CPV's/Modern British Built OPV's/Austrian Assault Rifles/Swiss APC's/Anglo-Italian Military Helicopters.

Also the Russians did not occupy Georgia, they temporaily crossed into it. It's not comparable.

Oh they just stopped by for a Cuppa? They invaded and Occupied Cities like Gori and blockaded the Nation by using the Russian Navy and landed Russian Marines to secure coastal land, even when The Kremlin said Military Missions had ceased the Russian Military didnt fully stop, to this day they are still there in pockets and tensions are still high.

It's ridiculous to say we are anti-American because we opposed the illegal invasion of Iraq.

No its not, call a spade a spade its what you are.

Why don't you get up on your arse and do something instead of sitting on here all day telling people when they can and can't protest?

Never once did i say to anybody to stop, but i did wish they would go away. Nothing you do matters one Iota, you are not needed in Galway.

Steyr wrote: »
    Thats not the point, It doesnt matter where he got the Gas, nearly every Nation manufactures Weapons or Components for weapons, the Irish Defence Force Operate Swedish SAM's/American Anti Armour Missile/British Artillery/EX Royal Navy CPV's/Modern British Built OPV's/Austrian Assault Rifles/Swiss APC's/Anglo-Italian Military Helicopters.

Oh they just stopped by for a Cuppa? They invaded and Occupied Cities like Gori and blockaded the Nation by using the Russian Navy and landed Russian Marines to secure coastal land, even when The Kremlin said Military Missions had ceased the Russian Military didnt fully stop, to this day they are still there in pockets and tensions are still high.

No its not, call a spade a spade its what you are.

Never once did i say to anybody to stop, but i did wish they would go away. Nothing you do matters one Iota, you are not needed in Galway.

That's such a ridiculous post. You're just trying to give smart arse answers and failing miserably

That's such a ridiculous post. You're just trying to give smart arse answers and failing miserably

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Galway Alliance Against War my ass... more like Galway Alliance against the freedom to shop in peace, to work in peace from fascists trying to control what's put into the public domain and against the freedom to have fully stocked bookstores so we can inform ourselves on all sides of a debate.

Please GAAW realise that as adults we can decide what we spend our money on and are perfectly capable of reading a book and deciding what we think of it without you telling us what we should think. We don't need you hiding it and finding it in the fantasy/crime/whatever section is going to give no one pause for thought on the wider issue of the Iraq war.

You're actually isolating any vague shred of support you might have garnered if you weren't all so nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Last summer an armada of nearly 20 russian warships; aircraft carriers, destroyers, cruisers, support vessals and submarines sailed down the west coast of ireland en route to the mediterranian to take part in war games.
    Many of these ships are nuclear powered and carry nuclear weapons.
    This was one of the largest show of force by the russian navy in over 20 years.

Did we hear anything from the GAAW about this?
    Surely a group that is anti war would have something to say about
    that event!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement