Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAAW at it again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

skelliser wrote: »
    Last summer an armada of nearly 20 russian warships; aircraft carriers, destroyers, cruisers, support vessals and submarines sailed down the west coast of ireland en route to the mediterranian to take part in war games.
    Many of these ships are nuclear powered and carry nuclear weapons.
    This was one of the largest show of force by the russian navy in over 20 years.

Did we hear anything from the GAAW about this?
    Surely a group that is anti war would have something to say about
    that event!

Sure those are all right, it's just those American, British and Israeli ones that seems to get their goat up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Predalien wrote: »
    Okay, whatever about people disliking the GAAW I don't like the misconception that they were to blame for the cancellation of the airshow. The airshow was cancelled because the required sponsorship was not available, which was a result of Galway businesses being less profitable due to the recession. It was a very expensive show to run and the money simply isn't there anymore unless it piggybacks off other events such as the ocean race.

it was also cancelled because the insurance skyrocketed after a door of a helicoptor fell off in mid air onto a beach with people on it

but is much more sensational to blame the GAAW to back up opinions that are not based on any fact. At least the GAAW know the background of why they are protesting - the people giving out about the GAAW don't seem to have an iota of what is going on in the world - they just don't like them because they might have to take a few steps around them on the street or they might have to walk around them to get into a shop or they might ruin their shopping day Says it all reallyl

it was also cancelled because the insurance skyrocketed after a door of a helicoptor fell off in mid air onto a beach with people on it

but is much more sensational to blame the GAAW to back up opinions that are not based on any fact. At least the GAAW know the background of why they are protesting - the people giving out about the GAAW don't seem to have an iota of what is going on in the world - they just don't like them because they might have to take a few steps around them on the street or they might have to walk around them to get into a shop or they might ruin their shopping day Says it all reallyl

I am well aware of what's going on on the world, and i can't help noticing that the GAAW are extremely selective about who they are against.

kippy wrote: »
    I've no idea to be honest.
    You label me right wing, I have no idea what right wing is, how can I be right wing?

I think before you have an option on a group or a topic you should actually find out the meaning of left wing and right wing - otherwise you don't have a leg to stand on.

galwayrush wrote: »
    I am well aware of what's going on on the world, and i can't help noticing that the GAAW are extremely selective about who they are against.

are you? could have fooled me, and many others too - maybe on your way in to Easons to buy your tony blair book you might want to root around for one that gives you the history of what is going on and who is behind what, on this earth. Would make your trip to Easons a lot more interesting. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

are you? could have fooled me, and many others too - maybe on your way in to Easons to buy your tony blair book you might want to root around for one that gives you the history of what is going on and who is behind what, on this earth. Would make your trip to Easons a lot more interesting. :D

The problem with the GAAW is that whatever message they are trying to get across is lost in a mire of snide remarks and disdain for the common man. Mindless protests like the one in Easons are not going to help boost the membership of the GAAW and they certainly will not help get their views accross to the public. They will just succeed in drawing more attention to Tony Blair and more than likely increasing his book sales. Easons will not stop stocking the book. The ordinary staff member will have to go out of their way to move the book to it's original position-thereby pi$$ing off the ordinary worker.

The problem with the GAAW is that whatever message they are trying to get across is lost in a mire of snide remarks and disdain for the common man. Mindless protests like the one in Easons are not going to help boost the membership of the GAAW and they certainly will not help get their views accross to the public. They will just succeed in drawing more attention to Tony Blair and more than likely increasing his book sales. Easons will not stop stocking the book. The ordinary staff member will have to go out of their way to move the book to it's original position-thereby pi$$ing off the ordinary worker.

why do you say its mindless?

do you think all protests are mindless? or just the ones that you don't know enough about yet? Can you give me an example of a "non-mindless" protest that you would find to your liking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

Last summer an armada of nearly 20 russian warships; aircraft carriers, destroyers, cruisers, support vessals and submarines sailed down the west coast of ireland en route to the mediterranian to take part in war games.
    Many of these ships are nuclear powered and carry nuclear weapons.
    This was one of the largest show of force by the russian navy in over 20 years.

Did we hear anything from the GAAW about this?
    Surely a group that is anti war would have something to say about
    that event!

So the russians had some war games, every bloody military in the world does this. If GAAW had a protest about war games by the russians or chinese or French you'd be on here slating them. What exactly is your point? This is just the usual tabloid crap trying to portray anti-war demonstrators as being against apple pie and ice-cream. You need to get a life.

do you think all protests are mindless? or just the ones that you don't know enough about yet? Can you give me an example of a "non-mindless" protest that you would find to your liking?

According to the genius posters on here everything is mindless and useless. In the case of their own lives it usually is. They just want to be left alone to eat and shop and stare at a tv screen.

What is the point of moving around an ex Prime Ministers book in Easons? What are you (maybe I'm wrong to presume you are a GAAW supporter) hoping to achieve? Do you assume that we don't know about Tony Blair and his actions or we just do not see things from your point of view? Why is the first step of the GAAW to antagonise first, alienating the common man, and thus losing any chance that he will listen to, support or even respect your views?

I say mindless-I mean pointless.

How about protesting at the running of our dear country? The near bankruptcy that Ireland Inc. is coming close to? The exorbitant rates that are paid to those unable to find work? The complete and utter lack of work for those looking for jobs relevant to their degrees or experience? The continued failure of OUR government to jail or even charge anyone with the disgfraceful goings on at Anglo? The fact that yet another generation of our finest and brightest are being forced to emigrate just to make a life for themselves?

• Advertisement

What is the point of moving around an ex Prime Ministers book in Easons? What are you (maybe I'm wrong to presume you are a GAAW supporter) hoping to achieve? Do you assume that we don't know about Tony Blair and his actions or we just do not see things from your point of view? Why is the first step of the GAAW to antagonise first, alienating the common man, and thus losing any chance that he will listen to, support or even respect your views?

I say mindless-I mean pointless.

How about protesting at the running of our dear country? The near bankruptcy that Ireland Inc. is coming close to? The exorbitant rates that are paid to those unable to find work? The complete and utter lack of work for those looking for jobs relevant to their degrees or experience? The continued failure of OUR government to jail or even charge anyone with the disgfraceful goings on at Anglo? The fact that yet another generation of our finest and brightest are being forced to emigrate just to make a life for themselves?

You'll usually find the same people from GAAW on those type of protests too. Why don't you join them? Or do you just ring up liveline
    "Something needs to be done Joe..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

You do realise that this particular war game was designed with political and PR intentions.
    Or is that not intellectual enough for you!
    Are you actually implying that because they weren't on there way to an actual war that that makes it alright!! Overlooking the fact that Russia has the second highest stock pile of nuclear weapons on the planet, one of the largest standing armies, one of the biggest arms suppliers and been involved in many illegal and dubious conflicts.
    I guess because it doesn't appear in indymedia or even mainstream media its overlooked by you.
    Do us a favour an Do some research on the things ur protesting about and not just selectively choosing ur fights.

Also what would happen if say an incident like the kursk had occurred or some other nuclear incident of the coast of ireland?

McDougal wrote: »
    You'll usually find the same people from GAAW on those type of protests too. Why don't you join them? Or do you just ring up liveline
    "Something needs to be done Joe..."

The above 'holier than thou' comment just reinforced my previous statement about snide comments. I hope you don't represent GAAW. If you have nothing constructive to contribute why bother?

Best of luck with your book moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Are you the ignorant "majority"?

No

Where did Saddam get the gas from? And the Turks armed by the Americans are every bit as oppressive of the kurds but you don't care about that. And the Georgians and Americans arming and egging them on were every bit as responsible for that conflict as the Russians. Also the Russians did not occupy Georgia, they temporaily crossed into it. It's not comparable.

All your arguments are based upon anti-intellectualism and appealing to people's lowest common denominator. It's ridiculous to say we are anti-American because we opposed the illegal invasion of Iraq. I was called anti-european for campaigning against the Lisbon Treaty. Its a meaningless insult from an uneducated person. It's typical tabloid media stuff to accuse anti-war protestors of being against the American and Israeli people.

Why don't you get up on your arse and do something instead of sitting on here all day telling people when they can and can't protest?

What has an uneducated person got to do with it?

Are you the ignorant "majority"?
    You acknowledge you are in the minority?
    Do we live in a democracy? Forgive me in case you think i'm uneducated too. Who does the PR work for the GAAW?
    He/She is doing a mighty job on getting the majority on side and support.
    It seems if the majority don't agree they become uneducated and ignorant and the GAAW throw their toys out.
    Bien Joue

You do realise that this particular war game was designed with political and PR intentions.
    Or is that not intellectual enough for you!
    Are you actually implying that because they weren't on there way to an actual war that that makes it alright!! Overlooking the fact that Russia has the second highest stock pile of nuclear weapons on the planet, one of the largest standing armies, one of the biggest arms suppliers and been involved in many illegal and dubious conflicts.
    I guess because it doesn't appear in indymedia or even mainstream media its overlooked by you.
    Do us a favour an Do some research on the things ur protesting about and not just selectively choosing ur fights.

Also what would happen if say an incident like the kursk had occurred or some other nuclear incident of the coast of ireland?

What exactly is your point? Are you criticing GAAW for not going out on the streets because the Russian navy is in the atlantic on excercises? You're insane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

McDougal,

Will you answer this please because I genuinely can't understand the direction on this thread?

What is the purpose of GAAW?

Is it:

1. To stop wars in which the US and the UK participate

or, (or maybe and),

2. Is it to get other people to agree with its views, to garner support for its views, as well as advancing those views?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

What exactly is your point? Are you criticing GAAW for not going out on the streets because the Russian navy is in the atlantic on excercises? You're insane

If the american or british Navies where performing exercises of the coast of ireland would the GAAW protest against that!
    I think we would never hear the end of it! Now who is insane!

churchview wrote: »
    McDougal,

Will you answer this please because I genuinely can't understand the direction on this thread?

What is the purpose of GAAW?

Is it:

1. To stop wars in which the US and the UK participate

or, (or maybe and),

2. Is it to get other people to agree with its views, to garner support for its views, as well as advancing those views?

I believe GAAW was initially set up to oppose the US invasion of Iraq. Its primary aims are to stop Irish collusion with imperialist armies.
    If the american or british Navies where performing exercises of the coast of ireland would the GAAW protest against that!
    I think we would never hear the end of it! Now who is insane!

There are American troops in Shannon using it as a base to take part in wars and occupations and yet you are talking about the Russian navy for some reason. Get some persepective for christs sake.

• Advertisement

I believe GAAW was initially set up to oppose the US invasion of Iraq. Its primary aims are to stop Irish collusion with imperialist armies.

There are American troops in Shannon using it as a base to take part in wars and occupations and yet you are talking about the Russian navy for some reason. Get some persepective for christs sake.

I'm genuinely glad they've used Shannon

Those imperialistic countries fed and reared many a generation of Irish person.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Genuinely; thanks. I can now see a bit of logic to what you're at (whether I agree with it or not).

As I now understand it, you want to stop Irish collusion with other armies and that's understandable (in that I comprehend it), whether one agrees with it or not, or whether one agrees with the term "imperialist" in this context.

For the first time ever, I understand why GAAW takes a position against some countries and not others. It seems that you have no problem with the Russians for instance as we (Ireland) apparently do not collude with them by letting them use Shannon.

Why did it take so long to get a cogent explanation of GAAW's position?

Now I don't know if you're a member of GAAW, or a spokeman, but can I suggest one or two things?

1. Loads of people (including me) never made the connection between your anti-war stance and Irish collusion. GAAW needs to make clear that it is first and foremost against Irish collusion (if that is the case).

2. Getting Ireland to stop colluding is probably almost achievable, at least in comparison to actually stopping the Wars, but your approach needs to change. GAAW needs to focus and decide what it's against and attack that. Don't attack people who question your stance. It's only if you get those same people on side that you'll get the support to be anything but a small organisation.

It's this simple. If GAAW constructively explained themselves, and engaged in debate rather than simply attacking and vilifying those who oppose them, they might be surprised to find that many people who question them actually do support their purported views.

However, you may have a problem in convincing many of the bona-fides of one of your most vocal members, Niall Farrell , and in fact he's probably the Achilles heel that ultimately won't let GAAW get their message across to a wider audience. Many just don't trust him. It's well known that his sister was killed in Gibraltar by the SAS and many just won't accept that Mr. Farrell is not on a personal vendetta against the English. I'm not saying that I agree with this view, and I'm not sure how you could counter it.

I am quite well read up on history, not selective history.:)
    Didn't mean to fool, you in any way...................;)

McDougal loves to only answer some points.
    Must come with not being uneducated and not ignorant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

GAAW free pass for some, miniature American flags for others.

amiable wrote: »
    McDougal loves to only answer some points.
    Must come with not being uneducated and not ignorant

Do you want me to reply to your posts? I assumed you were just trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

amiable wrote: »
    I'm genuinely glad they've used Shannon

I'd prefer if they were using Galway Airport tbh. Aer Arann looks like it could be in trouble, and in these uncertain times it would be great to see the airport utilised... :P Not to mention the business it would bring to the local Centra shop. A win win all round. :):pac:

Do you want me to reply to your posts? I assumed you were just trolling

I'm definitely not Trolling. I'd prefer if refrained from suggesting that because its my opinion and i'm entitled to it. I'm genuinely glad the Americans use Shannon airport. i already said that. i thought you being educated would understand that.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer if they were using Galway Airport tbh. Aer Arann looks like it could be in trouble, and in these uncertain times it would be great to see the airport utilised... :P Not to mention the business it would bring to the local Centra shop. A win win all round. :):pac:
    That would be fine with me too but i don't think the runway would be suitable for their planes. I'm open to correction here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement