Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAAW at it again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

amiable wrote: »
    You acknowledge you are in the minority?
    Do we live in a democracy? Forgive me in case you think i'm uneducated too. Who does the PR work for the GAAW?
    He/She is doing a mighty job on getting the majority on side and support.
    It seems if the majority don't agree they become uneducated and ignorant and the GAAW throw their toys out.
    Bien Joue
    I think you are trolling by actually suggesting i'm trolling from this.
    Imo you can't accept that people differ in opinion from the GAAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

McDougal wrote: »
    I believe GAAW was initially set up to oppose the US invasion of Iraq. Its primary aims are to stop Irish collusion with imperialist armies.

So the bookstores selling Blair's book, who are they colluding with?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,593 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I think before you have an option on a group or a topic you should actually find out the meaning of left wing and right wing - otherwise you don't have a leg to stand on.
    Why should I do that? Why wouldnt I have a leg to stand on?
    Knowing what left wing or right wing is, has absolutely no relevance to this post.
    If other posters chose to bring it into the argument then fair enough but personally I dont see the relevance.

Of course GAAW werent the only reason the airshow was cancelled (I wouldn't like to give them that much power) but the very fact of the matter is they are a group of people who were completely against it, and made it a lot more difficult for organisers to get funding AND organise events around it.

GAAW appear to be very selective about what wars they are against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

That would be fine with me too but i don't think the runway would be suitable for their planes. I'm open to correction here.

C-130's can land there no problem, been done before with a C-130E from USAFE Ramstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Oh dear we fall for it every time. Just like the mad Koran burning churchman we let a few insignificant people gain loads of publicity. The Airshow was doomed by lack of financial support & I would doubt that potential financial backers would give a damn about the GAAW.

If the Council were infiltrated or influenced then throw them out at the next election. Luckily none of the big American employers have taken the GAAW seriously enough to move out - we hope !.

My main gripe is that their name suggests that they are aligned with Galway. I would be happier if they broadened their horizons to become the IAAW & leave Galway alone.

• Advertisement

What exactly is your point? Are you criticing GAAW for not going out on the streets because the Russian navy is in the atlantic on excercises? You're insane

Its the fact they sailed right along the Irish zone, the IAC were up monitoring them in CASA's and they had already caused problems in the North sea with their SU37 Flanker Aircraft deploying closer and often overhead the Oilrigs so much that the Rigs had to suspend all Civillian Helicopter Operations to and from the UK mainland.

it was also cancelled because the insurance skyrocketed after a door of a helicoptor fell off in mid air onto a beach with people on it

No it didnt, the Insurance covered everything, it was lack of funding simple as. End of.

Who does the PR work for the GAAW?

Judging by letters to Papers their PRO is Niall Farrell.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

What is the point of moving around an ex Prime Ministers book in Easons? What are you (maybe I'm wrong to presume you are a GAAW supporter) hoping to achieve? Do you assume that we don't know about Tony Blair and his actions or we just do not see things from your point of view? Why is the first step of the GAAW to antagonise first, alienating the common man, and thus losing any chance that he will listen to, support or even respect your views?

I say mindless-I mean pointless.

How about protesting at the running of our dear country? The near bankruptcy that Ireland Inc. is coming close to? The exorbitant rates that are paid to those unable to find work? The complete and utter lack of work for those looking for jobs relevant to their degrees or experience? The continued failure of OUR government to jail or even charge anyone with the disgfraceful goings on at Anglo? The fact that yet another generation of our finest and brightest are being forced to emigrate just to make a life for themselves?

longfellow, you criticise the GAAW because they protest about what they think is wrong. You have now listed things that "should" be protested about - what's stopping you? or are you sitting looking at telly waiting for someone else to do the work for you. Typical

galwayrush wrote: »
    I am quite well read up on history, not selective history.:)
    Didn't mean to fool, you in any way...................;)

it all depends on what you are reading tho.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Why should I do that? Why wouldnt I have a leg to stand on?
    Knowing what left wing or right wing is, has absolutely no relevance to this post.
    If other posters chose to bring it into the argument then fair enough but personally I dont see the relevance.

Of course GAAW werent the only reason the airshow was cancelled (I wouldn't like to give them that much power) but the very fact of the matter is they are a group of people who were completely against it, and made it a lot more difficult for organisers to get funding AND organise events around it.

GAAW appear to be very selective about what wars they are against.

laugh of the day post. :D:D:D

Steyr wrote: »
    No it didnt, the Insurance covered everything, it was lack of funding simple as. End of.

the insurance skyrocketed as it tends to do once an incident occurs. do we have to explain EVERTHING on here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

do we have to explain EVERTHING on here :rolleyes:

No, but it might help your cause if you read some of the posts. You're never going to persuade people of your cause if you just keep insulting people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From Galway Independent at the time.
    According to organisers, the show had been incurring losses "year on year" and the "nightmarish issues" thrown up by the logistics as well as opposition from the anti-war movement have made it too difficult to continue.
    Mr Farrell also suggested that insurance was a factor in the air show's cancellation, following last year's accident. A door came off a helicopter at last year's event, hitting a spectator.

However, this has been refuted by the main organiser Brian McGrath, who said the cancellation was down to the high costs of the show and funding difficulties.

I posted this back in 2009

the insurance skyrocketed as it tends to do once an incident occurs. do we have to explain EVERTHING on here :rolleyes:

Wrong again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

This isn't really a protest, it's just a pain inthe bum for the Eason's staff, since they're the ones who have to stock and organise the book. They find the book in a different ctagory, they put it back. They find the book in a different category, they put it back, ad nauseum.
    Really it's just giving minimum wage staff in an understaffed shop more work to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

This isn't really a protest, it's just a pain inthe bum for the Eason's staff, since they're the ones who have to stock and organise the book. They find the book in a different ctagory, they put it back. They find the book in a different category, they put it back, ad nauseum.
    Really it's just giving minimum wage staff in an understaffed shop more work to do..

The poor staff are obviously seen as a legitimate target for their collusion with the former leader of an imperialist country.:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Quote:
    Originally Posted by galwayrush
    I am quite well read up on history, not selective history.
    Didn't mean to fool, you in any way...................

it all depends on what you are reading tho.

That's the point i was making.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I will explain something. If someone like Steyr appears to know a lot about the Airshow it may be because he really does know something. If you do a little research you will discover that he knows an awful lot.

However I do reluctantly agree with you that those who object to the actions of the GAAW & support the Airshow should do more to promote their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Discodog wrote: »
    I will explain something. If someone like Steyr appears to know a lot about the Airshow it may be because he really does know something. If you do a little research you will discover that he knows an awful lot.

However I do reluctantly agree with you that those who object to the actions of the GAAW & support the Airshow should do more to promote their views.
    IMO though its easier to actually spoil an event than it is to object to people spoiling the event if that makes sense. Good points though. I'm not saying your wrong

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »

Your bang on the Numbers there Lad.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The post I put up earlier about the FB page has relevance to this. This 'moving the book' protest is NOT just limited to members of GAAW nor is it limited to Easons or indeed Ireland it seems, looks like it originated in the UK and the form of protest has been used by different groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

The more and more this crowd go on, the more I want to buy Blair's book and sit outside Easons reading it. And I dont even respect Tony Blair. Consider it my form of peaceful protest against GAAW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Just bought the book after Stumbling on it in the sports section, excellent read would never have bought it otherwise, great read, great man!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

The more and more this crowd go on, the more I want to buy Blair's book and sit outside Easons reading it. And I dont even respect Tony Blair. Consider it my form of peaceful protest against GAAW.

No one would care, you'd look like a muppet and you'd have spent €25 for the privilege. Go right ahead.

Of course you won't actually do it because people like you are all talk. Not even good talk, it's stupid talk. You want to spend €25 on a book by someone you don't respect as a form of protest? Christ you're a fool. Just give the €25 to charity for war orphans and spare us your ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

No one would care, you'd look like a muppet and you'd have spent €25 for the privilege. Go right ahead.

Of course you won't actually do it because people like you are all talk. Not even good talk, it's stupid talk. You want to spend €25 on a book by someone you don't respect as a form of protest? Christ you're a fool. Just give the €25 to charity for war orphans and spare us your ****e.
    Sure moving books around a shop isn't even a good protest, it's a f**king dopey one!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Visited the Intrepid in NY, if you ever get a chance visit...

SR-21 Blackbird one of many on show...Concorde there as well

USAF had a Jet parked in times square as part of a recruitment drive...:cool:

4942836672_5c7fd096bb_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

If you sit outside reading it, then he is right about the no one caring and looking like a muppet, it would be like being on a GAAW protest but with less dog on a string.

You could just buy it and help contribute to its record breaking sales, that will piss them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭McDougal

dloob wrote: »
    If you sit outside reading it, then he is right about the no one caring and looking like a muppet, it would be like being on a GAAW protest but with less dog on a string.

You could just buy it and help contribute to its record breaking sales, that will piss them off.

It's an interesting mentality. Wanting to spend €25 on the memoirs of a war mongering religious extremist just to piss of a group of people who will never know you purchased it. Of course it's just the usual hot air from the usual morons on here who've never done anything in their meaningless lives.

• Advertisement

Not even good talk, it's stupid talk. Christ you're a fool. Just give the €25 to charity for war orphans and spare us your ****e.

ATTACK THE POST NOT THE POSTER. Your very very agressive for an Anti-War Person, you have no problem attacking everybodys posts here calling them names and anything else if they dont agree with anything you say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement