Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering for Psychology?

• 09-09-2010 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just finished my degree in Psychology, and am looking to get some work experience before I apply for a Masters. My masters is (hopefully) Applied Psychology (Mental Health) in Ulster. I have tried emailing the head psychologist of the HSE as advised, I went for Samaritans but I could not commit to the training they offered as my working hours were during them and I couldnt book all the days off for holidays.

So Im looking to see if anyone knows the best way/place to volunteer that would increase my chances of getting into this Masters? I would be hoping to remain in the Limerick area if possible.

Mods feel free to move if you think this thread would be more appropriate in a different place!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

You may find something of interest in one of the following organisations but i wouldn't be sure that they would have a suitable position for you.
    mental health Ireland Limerick Spunout website
    Aware.ie Shine
    Pieta House is opening up a new facility in Limerick Pieta.ie Grow.ie
    Boards Psychology forum could also be a useful resource for you.
    Putting your name down and keeping an eye out on volunteer.ie (heatlh/disbility section) could give you another chance of getting something appropriate. There should be a local office of that organisation too.

For people with more experience in the mental health sector there is also Medecine Sans Frontieres on an international side.

Advertisement