Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S in bottom left corner of Rifle licence

Options
  • 09-09-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Sorry, there is probably a thread about this alreay but cant find one. did we figure out yet if that means youre licenced for a silencer, i just got mine today for my.22 and it has this S on it,not on me shotgun one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

fiestaman wrote: »
    Sorry, there is probably a thread about this alreay but cant find one. did we figure out yet if that means youre licenced for a silencer, i just got mine today for my.22 and it has this S on it,not on me shotgun one.
    Yes, that's what it means. I presume you applied for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

fiestaman wrote: »

Supressor:mad:

Supressor:mad:
    Silencer!

It's what the law calls it and that's what it stands for on the licence. Anything else is semantics; curiously enough also spelled with an 's' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

rrpc wrote: »
    Yes, that's what it means. I presume you applied for one.

Oh i applied alright, with a letter too to keep them happy. Happy now i have that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

rrpc wrote: »
    Silencer!

It's what the law calls it and that's what it stands for on the licence. Anything else is semantics; curiously enough also spelled with an 's' :D
    Does it silence the shot? No, it is a supressor its not what the law calls it, it is what the Guardai call it, who most of do not know what they are talking about when it comes to firearms (Weapons)

• Advertisement

Does it silence the shot? No, it is a supressor its not what the law calls it, it is what the Guardai call it, who most of do not know what they are talking about when it comes to firearms (Weapons)
    It does with a .22 and it's what they were called before 1990 when they mysteriously and magically got renamed to anything that wasn't written in the statute books. :rolleyes:

And yes it is what the law calls it, you need to have a look at the 1990 firearms act.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

I applied for a silencer for my .22 and moderator for my .223 - and did not get that S on the license. But in the grant letter it stated that the licenses were issued as applied - so I assume all is fine, even without the S :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

..................... - so I assume all is fine, even without the S :rolleyes:

God no.

Never assume. If its not on the license and you are stopped by any Garda and he sees the mod and no "S" on the license he can either take the gun or at the very least make life awkward.

Ring your FO and give him your cert number. He can check on Pulse as to whether you got the silencer approval.

Seriously, the "i thought i was covered" excuse otherwise known as the "ignorance" excuse (as in ignorance of the law is no excuse) will get you nowhere. I'm not being nasty just to the point.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I looked for the "silenced moderator" option on the 10/22, (never let them get you down) then asked him if he had any issue with same, when he said no, told him to ensure that "s" was ticked;)

Then got a phone call from the guy inputting wanted to know if I needed an "s" on the hornet, "a well says I if it isnt too much hassel, bang away:rolleyes:

Happy days and not a chief super in sight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭mightyabhabelle

so tell me lads... whats the big deal in getting an 's' from the super. I actually thought they made sense as it reduces the noise etc... so you dont have loud shots ringing all over the country. Whats the hassle as I want to get one for my next rifle...thanks M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

so tell me lads... whats the big deal in getting an 's' from the super. I actually thought they made sense as it reduces the noise etc... so you dont have loud shots ringing all over the country. Whats the hassle as I want to get one for my next rifle...thanks M

They are evil, spawn of Satan. like Girls, curry Chips and AC/DC "should be avoided if at all possible:D:D

Just give a reason other than "your personal" hearing protection, Or they will say Buy muffs !

thanks Tack, but I,m still lost... whats the craic...

ps... was out today sighting in my .22 and boys what an education... wind and ammo types make some diffenence.. will post you my groupings tomorrow and see what you think... rgds M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

thanks Tack, but I,m still lost... whats the craic...

ps... was out today sighting in my .22 and boys what an education... wind and ammo types make some diffenence.. will post you my groupings tomorrow and see what you think... rgds M

Go in, bring a letter (in your pocket) stating the reason you require a mod.
    I only used a letter for the first mod, the second application was a verbal convo where all i needed was vendors name & Make of Mod.

You give them the licence you currently have, and they give you an "S" stamped on it in the post 3 or so days later.

In any garda station "I" have dealt with I have found them very pleasant and easy deal with, especially if you get known for not being a "looder"

NOW, this was Just my experiences, others had not such good experiences

Go in, bring a letter (in your pocket) stating the reason you require a mod.

thanks tack.. but this is the thing... what do I put on the letter. I want the Mod so I dont attract attention when I'm out shooting and I dont want to anoy any farm folk or animals, other than the ones I shoot of course :).

Is this what I put on the letter or maybe something that I would sue myself for deafness if I dont get one lol...

Also... when you get the S on the license is that Mod for that gun only. Ie if I change gun do I have to apply for the mod again..

thanks M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

thanks tack.. but this is the thing... what do I put on the letter. I want the Mod so I dont attract attention when I'm out shooting and I dont want to anoy any farm folk or animals, other than the ones I shoot of course :).

Is this what I put on the letter or maybe something that I would sue myself for deafness if I dont get one lol...

Also... when you get the S on the license is that Mod for that gun only. Ie if I change gun do I have to apply for the mod again..

thanks M

a mod is for that gun only, if you cant think of reasons you need a mod then you dont need one, but the reasons you said above might do, i would say nothing about protecting your hearing, some supers will tell you to use hearing protection instead

Advertisement