Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some advice for a friend.

• 09-09-2010 8:50pm

Mod's please move if this is posted in the wrong section. Sorry in advance.

Ok, my friends father drives an Opel Corsa 1997 with over 80k miles on the clock. About 2 months ago he was up in Dublin when another driver pulled a U-Turn and drove into the rear passenger side of the car just above the wheel.

Now, the person that drove into him was in the wrong and the Garda were called to the accident and have done reports etc.

Now the crash did quite a good bit of damage, my friends father got a quote from an Opel dealer for 3k+ for repairs.

Now the insurance who cover the other person came out today to have a look at the car and they refused to pay for the repairs as they said it is a rite off. My friends father showed them the quote for repairs on paper and also offered for them to get there own quotes. But they refused and have stated they will not be paying out for repairs or for any assistance on another car.

Now surely this isn't correct. By law doesn't the other drivers insurer have to pay for this or if they don't, doesn't the other driver from his own pocket?

Would it be worthwhile for my friends father to go and see a solicitor and get some advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

€3k damage on a 97 Corsa is very much a writeoff Id say. They wont pay for repairs, but they should be replacing the car.

Are they trying to back out of paying for this altogether? Because their customer caused the damage, so repair or replace, either way they are paying for it (assuming it is 100% the other drivers fault).

Cheers for the reply.

Yes it is 100% the other drivers fault. I was shown the Garda report today. Was kinda bemused :S.

Surely himself or his insurance is responsible for repairing or replacing the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Absolutely. Like I said, they most likely wont repair it given the amount of damage and the value of the car, but I cant see how they can get out of reponsibility for it either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

they will just pay the value of the car which isnt a whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€3k to repair a 1997 Corsa is about 5 or 6 times what the car is currently worth so it makes sense that they will write it off as uneconmical to repair. What they probably will do is pay you the current market value of a 13 year old Opel Corsa which I would guess to be around €500.

• Advertisement
Advertisement