Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrap

• 09-09-2010 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I have searched for this topic without any luck.

In these economic times, would I get any money for 01 car if its engine is dead from scrap yards for parts?

Would I just ring a scrapyard? or would I be better off just asking the management company to dispose of it? (they said they could arrange it.)

Never had to get rid of a car before.
    Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

put it on donedeal fro €100...lots of people looking for parts...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pARTner81

A tonne of scrap metal is about 120-130 nowadays. I'm not sure what the breakers would give you, maybe around the same, if the rest of the car is sound, and is a popular model.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

I don't think breakers will even look at a car over 8 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mingus08

Two hopeful replies and then that! I'll try done deal. Its a mistubishi Primera estate if that makes any diff.
    Thanks for your replies folks. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the engine is dead then it means the car will have to be transported to the breakers yard. I'd imagine they will most likely charge you for taking it away on their flatbed truck, cancelling out any potential money they will give you for it.

I'd stick it on done deal.

BTW it's Nissan who made the Primera rather than Mitsubishi. :)

• Advertisement

oh yes. Nissan. That's right! That's what I meant! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

If you trade it in for a renault you will get 1500 irish scrappage and 1500 renault ( car over 8 years old) plus a trade in value of up to 3300 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

dak wrote: »
    If you trade it in for a renault you will get 1500 irish scrappage and 1500 renault ( car over 8 years old) plus a trade in value of up to 3300 !

car is 9 years old and not eligible for scrappage, just Renaults offer.

Trade in not really an option anyway unless I only have to spend €1000 or less!
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Have a '96 Merc Automatic 2.3. ......... No bangs or scratches on the outside/inside. Engine good but hasn't been started since April 2011 ........... the day I left to come here. Now it is taking up space. Is it worth anything as scrap? Or would someone drive it away for a couple of hundred? Stored in West Limerick/Kerry border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Spread wrote: »
    Have a '96 Merc Automatic 2.3. ......... No bangs or scratches on the outside/inside. Engine good but hasn't been started since April 2011 ........... the day I left to come here. Now it is taking up space. Is it worth anything as scrap? Or would someone drive it away for a couple of hundred? Stored in West Limerick/Kerry border.

There is always someone that will buy a car that drives, alot of cars from 1995 are still really good, as longs as it has been taken care of.

Advertisement