Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

convertible/soft top for E3000

• 09-09-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

lads
    looking to buy a convertible/softtop for someone as a present I am leaning towards a mazda mx5 or a mr2.

has anyone any experience of either of these or know of any problems to look out for?

cheers

Comments

I doubt you'd get a rag top MR2 for that budget, you'd get an old T bar roofed one but they are a different beast entirely really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ive no experience of either but the general consensus seems to be that the MX-5 is the best you can get in that price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Yeah if they can get by with only 2 seats, the mx5 is a great car. I've no regrets anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Mx5 is a great car, drove a 20 year old one recently and gearbox was still as tight as a drum!!

MR2 has no boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭TimMac

actually its quite manageable on that sort of a budget, loking at a 00 & a 01 soft top mr2 for that sorta money.

plenty of MX5,s for that sort of money as well.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    I doubt you'd get a rag top MR2 for that budget, you'd get an old T bar roofed one but they are a different beast entirely really.

• Advertisement

would ye go for automatic or manual gearbox in mx5, i see all the jap imports are automatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Plates365.com

Personal preference but I hate automatics. A manual mx5 would be a superior machine IMO

not all, but all auto's are imports. Defeats the purpose imo. Its a drivers car and needs a manual gearbox for it to perform properly. AFAIR, most Jappers came with an LSD.

That would be my thoughts as well automatic gearboxes are boring made for lazy yanks, also I presume the 1.6 automatic gearbox version wouldnt be as lively as the manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

TimMac wrote: »
    ...automatic gearboxes are boring made for lazy yanks....
    No experience, then? Not referring to the MX5 auto, btw.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

If its a gift, you could consider getting a nice classic MGB GT roadster in the UK (or indeed here). Then they won't have to fork out a mammoth yearly sum to keep your 'gift' on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Aye, but a 5 wll be more reliable than an MG, and usable daily.
    Eunos Roadsters tend to be better specced (A/C, LSD, leather), but dont have the same level of rust protection from the factory, so check the sills (cills?) and wheel arches for tin worm.
    There's a really good buyer's guide on Pistonheads:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=185&t=803271&mid=102836&nmt=Common%20MX5%20Faults%20/%20Buying%20Guide

There's not a lot of benefit in going to the UK for one at the moment, many irish cars are being offloaded as the topless season comes to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

not all, but all auto's are imports.
    Not all JDM imports are auto, i've seen a lot of both. Agreed on manual being the way to go, though.

@OP - Much as I love MX-5s, it's a completely crazy idea to buy a car for someone without their input.

Anan1 wrote: »
    Not all JDM imports are auto, i've seen a lot of both. Agreed on manual being the way to go, though.

@OP - Much as I love MX-5s, it's a completely crazy idea to buy a car for someone without their input.
    Didn't say all imports are auto, I said all autos are imports!
    I.e. Anything with an auto box is an import

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Didn't say all imports are auto, I said all autos are imports!
    I.e. Anything with an auto box is an import
    Sorry, I read that arseways!

ya I have driven a few vehicles with automatic gearboxes, theyre ideal if your doing long trips on motorways or towing trailers or driving around large cities but not in the context of a small sports car.
    esel wrote: »
    No experience, then? Not referring to the MX5 auto, btw.

would love a roadster but I dont think its feasible on a budget of 3500 euro
    E39MSport wrote: »
    If its a gift, you could consider getting a nice classic MGB GT roadster in the UK (or indeed here). Then they won't have to fork out a mammoth yearly sum to keep your 'gift' on the road.

Thanks for that very helpful, I agree no better value to be had across the pond at the moment
    2 Espressi wrote: »
    Aye, but a 5 wll be more reliable than an MG, and usable daily.
    Eunos Roadsters tend to be better specced (A/C, LSD, leather), but dont have the same level of rust protection from the factory, so check the sills (cills?) and wheel arches for tin worm.
    There's a really good buyer's guide on Pistonheads:
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=185&t=803271&mid=102836&nmt=Common%20MX5%20Faults%20/%20Buying%20Guide

There's not a lot of benefit in going to the UK for one at the moment, many irish cars are being offloaded as the topless season comes to an end.

Thought about getting an mg roadster but I dont think its feasible on a budget of E3500 but with the cheap tax & insurance youre losing more modern features like power steering, air bags etc.

Has anybody any experience of Saab convertibles I presume they could be very troublesome second hand???

I think 1.6 manual MX5 is probably the way to go, thanks everybody for your input

Advertisement