Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crash at the Maldron/Quality roundabout.

• 09-09-2010 9:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

Very bad crash at the Maldron hotel roundabout in Oranmore. Looked really bad, prayers for those involved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I just passed it on the way home. Thought it might have been the flooding causing the jam. Cars looked pretty wrecked.

Lots of fire engines, ambulances etc. Hope everyone's ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Theres been some pretty heavy rain around the city for the past few hours.

I hope there are no serious injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

kippy wrote: »
    Theres been some pretty heavy rain around the city for the past few hours.

I hope there are no serious injuries.

It didnt look good Kippy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

hate that roundabout, any time we are trying to go on to it there is always a pillock who dont stop,they just shoot through. hope who are involved are not hurt to bad.

Hope those involved didnt get injured and if they did, may they make a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭1mcampo1

Looked bad alright. Not sure, but I think there were 3/4 cars involed. 2 fire brigades isn't a good sign tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

There was a minor collision there early at 5.45pm as I was going by. A Focus and VW Beetle seemed to have clipped each other. Gardai there but nothing serious. I just went through the roundabout there again about 5 minutes ago and the flood on the Maldron side is unreal. The worst I've seen it completely across the road, I had to move to the outside lane to get past it.

Something needs to be done about it urgently. It always floods. Hope no one is badly injured in the other collision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I really hope the people involved in the collision are ok.
    Something needs to be done about it urgently. It always floods. Hope no one is badly injured in the other collision.

There are drains on the roundabout but they don't seem to work at all; they must be totally blocked or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

At least twice I've hit the water there unexpectedly and been completely blinded for a second or two by a massive sheet of water while I get the wipers going. It's actually dangerous.

Could have happened to me yesterday actually (this was around lunchtime), but I was on the lookout for it. Slowed right down and managed to move a bit left (safely). Just as well in so far as both front windows were down.

Have to agree with cats.life, some terrible careless driving on that roundabout; people coming onto the roundabout far too fast. Also often happens, coming from the Galway side, that someone going straight on comes in on the left, drives straight across cutting to the inside of the roundabout, and exits on the left again. Not nice when you're on the right lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Kix wrote: »
    At least twice I've hit the water there unexpectedly and been completely blinded for a second or two by a massive sheet of water while I get the wipers going. It's actually dangerous.

Could have happened to me yesterday actually (this was around lunchtime), but I was on the lookout for it. Slowed right down and managed to move a bit left (safely). Just as well in so far as both front windows were down.

Have to agree with cats.life, some terrible careless driving on that roundabout; people coming onto the roundabout far too fast. Also often happens, coming from the Galway side, that someone going straight on comes in on the left, drives straight across cutting to the inside of the roundabout, and exits on the left again. Not nice when you're on the right lane.

You could say that about many of the roundabouts in Galway unfortunately.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The wife goes through that roundabout every day. I think its a disgrace that water builds up on this and other roundabouts around the city. I mean it cant be that tough to ensure drainage is adequate at the roundabouts? They are tough enough to navigatea a the best of times without 6 inches of water to navigate.
    Has there been any update on the crash by the way? I havent heard anything sicne.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Without exception, every time I'm coming from the Dublin direction, in the left lane, and heading in towards town, taking the second exit which is a left turn, some muppet, in the lane to my right takes the same left turn towards town.

Only in Galway does this "right lane to go left" manoeuvre appear to happen pretty much all the time.

I'm consistently surprised that there isn't carnage on a daily basis on Galway roundabouts.

I hope whomever crashed in ok and the lessons that need to be learned from the collision to prevent such a future "accident" are learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

churchview wrote: »
    Without exception, every time I'm coming from the Dublin direction, in the left lane, and heading in towards town, taking the second exit which is a left turn, some muppet, in the lane to my right takes the same left turn towards town.

Only in Galway does this "right lane to go left" manoeuvre appear to happen pretty much all the time.

I'm consistently surprised that there isn't carnage on a daily basis on Galway roundabouts.

I hope whomever crashed in ok and the lessons that need to be learned from the collision to prevent such a future "accident" are learned.

its a two lane exit so they are entitled too once they dont cut into the left lane on exiting the roundabout.

connollys wrote: »
    its a two lane exit so they are entitled too once they dont cut into the left lane on exiting the roundabout.

Oh God!

I haven't the energy for a Roundabout debate. Check the Rules of the Road.

How anyone can believe what you've just said is beyond me...well at least it is until I drive in Galway. Anywhere else in Ireland you'd earn a few points.

Look at the logic of what you say.

"its a two lane exit"

+

"soo they are entitled too"

Following that logic, if any exit is two lanes, you can enter in any lane if the entrance is also two lane.

Jesus wept...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kosmo

i agree with connollys:

see this for more details:

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/roundabouts.html

kosmo wrote: »
    i agree with connollys:

roundabout_straight.jpg

see this for more details:

http://www.drivingschoolireland.com/roundabouts.html

OK.

Picture still hasn't uploaded. Please don't tell me you're relying on the one with the broken red line and the "if circumstances dictate otherwise" bumph - whatever that means? Why don't you just look at the Rules and the relevant Statutes rather than some lazily drafted guide?

CLUE: the answer is in the two bullet points above the second picture.

Ah feckit, the answer:

You may follow the course shown in the illustration by the broken red line in situations where:

- the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or
    - when directed by a Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

churchview wrote: »
    OK.

Picture still hasn't uploaded. Please don't tell me you're not relying on the one with the broken red line and the "if circumstances dictate otherwise" bumph - whatever that means? Why don't you just look at the Rules and the relevant Statutes rather than some lazily drafted guide?

CLUE: the answer is in the two bullet points above the second picture.

Ah feckit, the answer:

You may follow the course shown in the illustration by the broken red line in situations where:

- the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or
    - when directed by a Garda.

That guide is correct and is copied directly from the official RSA site:

http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

However, I understand your frustration. A lot of drivers enter the roundabout on the right-hand lane but exit on the left-hand lane without checking if someone else is already there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Irish Rules of the Road (Junctions & Roundabouts

I am a total roundabout Nazi and it looks to me like there is nothing wrong with using the right hand lane once its a two lane exit (at the second exit). Above link is the official rules of the road website. Can't argue with that.

What gets me are the cretins who use the outside (left lane) to take the 3 or 4th exit. The roundabout at the Menlo hotel being the worst for it.

Any wonder there are so many coming togethers at roundabouts? It would be no harm for the RSA to run a few adverts for this along side the motorway use ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

ah lads stop now before some one gets hurt23_3_3.gif, hate roundabouts debate cos it gets no where, herd on the news this morning that one person was brought to hospital after the crash, they are ok, as in alive thank goodness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Irish Rules of the Road (Junctions & Roundabouts

I am a total roundabout Nazi and it looks to me like there is nothing wrong with using the right hand lane once its a two lane exit (at the second exit). Above link is the official rules of the road website. Can't argue with that.

Thank you.

Maybe Jesus stubbed his toe and thats why he wept.

• Advertisement

Sorry to say, but you're both wrong. Are you even reading what you're quoting, or just picking little bits that suit you?

Yes, when I was referring to the Guide, I was referring to the RSA publication, the Rules of the Road. It's appallingly drafted. Nowhere does it warn readers to apply the text to the pictures, although one would think that most would do so. You can't just read the bit that suits you and ignore the rest.

The picture which is an illustration of the rule (for going straight) is unclear, but you need to read the words above.

They clearly state:

"You may follow the course shown in the illustration by the broken red line in situations where:

the left-hand lane is only for turning left or is blocked or closed, or

when directed by a Garda."

Nowhere is provision made for turning left from a right lane. The narrow exception above only applies to going straight.

The turn to Galway from the Dublin direction is clearly a left turn, so the exception does cannot apply.

The Nazis were severely misguided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Unless the road is blocked or the cops are directing you then you should be in the laft hand lane if taking the second exit, it's fairly clear really. Even if it is 'safe' to go in the right hand lane when heading for a two lane exit you still aren't supposed to.

The people turning right in the left hand lane at Menlo are just ignorant feckers.

Having said that....have you ever noticed that people going slower than you are idiots and people driving faster than you are maniacs ;)

Advertisement