Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unemployed?Must Read Info !

Options
  • 09-09-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Following the recent announcement by the government regarding the Labour Market Activation Fund initiative, Carlow IT are currently taking registrations for 3 courses due to start Sept aimed at those who are unemployed and wishing to upskill, without it affecting social welfare payments.

For those of you who are frustrated jobseekers, as I am, :( this may be an opportunity that may appeal to you.

Due to insufficient numbers for the course I am interested in (Good Manufacturing Practice), it may not run so I would like to make others aware there is an option of studying for a year in order to upskill and have a better chance of securing employment upon completion. The class has only 25 spaces which I expected would be snapped up so am disappointed in the uptake as I may miss out myself.

The courses as I understand are:- (please call Carlow IT for further info)

Telecoms - Higher degree required
    Higher Diploma in Business Mgmt - Higher degree required
    Cert. in Good Manufacturing Practice - no minimum criteria

Call Lifelong Learning in Carlow IT to enquire on 059 9170400 for further details.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Sounds like a good course = hope it goes ahead:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

im very interested in the telecoms course but i see its not listed on the website http://www.itcarlow.ie/labour%20market%20initiatives%20IT%20Carlow.asp?top_section=2&lower_section=11&uid=itcarlow, ill give them a ring tomorrow but just wondering where you heard about the telecoms course

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Spangles

This is an extract from details I received regarding the courses :-

Broadbandcareers, Carlow Town
    Certificate in the Installation and Repair of Air Blown Fibre Systems
    Carlow Institute of Technology
    Higher Diploma in Business (Management) – HETAC level 8
    Carlow Institute of Technology
    Special Purpose Award Cert in Good Manufacturing Practice –Pharmaceutical – level 6

Hope this helps !

Hi Spangles = did that course go ahead or are you still tryin to get on it

Unfortunately it appears the course is not going ahead due to insufficient numbers...... I'm holding out for a last minute surge in applications but it looks very doubtful at this stage.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭JayJay123

Did these courses go ahead or is it too late??

I have heard nothing from them so it would appear the course I am interested in is not going ahead. I tried contacting them several times this afternoon to clarify but their answerphone seems to be the order of the day. They seem to be so inundated at the moment.

Their number is 059 91 71400 line closes 5 pm. If I get through tomorrow I'll let you know.

Cheers Spangles! Might give them a ring myself aswell

I heard some of the course enrolling dates are being extended so if I were you I'd call down - can't understand why that course is not overrun with applicants - was it advertised at all? No posters about it in the dole office which you would think would be the case as the target course participants would see it there - it all seems to be very confused and unclear. Why don't you all get onto the local councillor or TD?- maybe they would know or help - particularly the ones in government !:eek:

The whole thing i just so frustrating!! :mad: I actually dread this time of year!
    1. You call them up - no answer
    2. Leave a message - no reply or if you do get a reply you have to explain your situation 10 times coz they never remember who you are or what you want.
    3. Dont get me started on trying to apply/get a grant/asisstance fund/back to education allowance etc,
    Uhhhhh Ok rant over... at the end of the day I understand they are run off their feet at this time of year but this craic about not answering phones is a bit annoying. Also I know this happens everywhere not just Carlow so that was a general rant :D

Shur Id love the bit of work for 3 or 4 weeks stick me on the phone please! :P

• Advertisement

I feel your pain JayJay ! Ironically the Lifelong Learning office in Carlow IT cant even take on unpaid volunteers to help them let alone paid staff !! I offered my services (always ready to jump at an opportunity:)). Apparently they are working long hours to try to keep up with the day-to-day stuff so I was told that it is likely to be a few weeks before they would even get around to informing applicants of the situation vis-a-vis courses not running. I am gonna call in tomorrow to get clarification.

I spoke to the Facilitator by phone from the Local Social Welfare Office yesterday and he only had one of the courses on his list so thats obviously been a factor in the places not being filled. Whilst upstairs in Social Welfare I noticed posters advertising courses under the Labour Market Activation Fund for DIT and Maynooth College but no mention of the courses in Carlow IT. The facilitator told me it was up to the individual colleges to advertise the courses.:confused:

Maringo - I saw all 3 courses advertised in the local Nationalist but I did not think it would have stood out for those unemployed who would expect to lose their benefits when in fact they would not. I may gonna contact Mary White to see if she has any joy on this one.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Spangles wrote: »
    The facilitator told me it was up to the individual colleges to advertise the courses.:confused:

That is true. If the college send something to the welfare office, It will be put up. If they don't send anything, then how can they put anything up?

For anyone interested I called into Lifelong Learning, Carlow IT this afternoon. A decision is being made tomorrow (24/9) or Monday whether or not the course "Certificate in Good Manufacturing Practice" will be going ahead.

Advertisement