Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible to insure a car you don't own?

• 09-09-2010 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I own a car, insured in my name, taxed by me. I'm going to work abroad for a few months, and my OH would like to get insured on the car.

Is it possible for her to get insured while not owning the car? I had intended to cancel my insurance and let her get insured with her own insurance company. Is this possible, or is it handier for me to just put her down as a named driver on my own policy? She does not have open drive on her policy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

husband / wife is generally ok. beyond that you would need to make the insurance company aware and see if they would take on the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Random wrote: »
    husband / wife is generally ok. beyond that you would need to make the insurance company aware and see if they would take on the risk.

Cheers. Not husband and wife just yet! Will take to RSA tomorrow, left it till the very last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

On most online quotations from insurance comapnies, there are assumpions, usually stating, that the car is owned and registerd on your or your spouse's/partner's name.
    So just make sure with your OH's insurance company if that's fine with them.

Besides, do whatever is cheaper for you. It might be cheaper to put her as a named driver on your own policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Sergeant wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I own a car, insured in my name, taxed by me. I'm going to work abroad for a few months, and my OH would like to get insured on the car.

Is it possible for her to get insured while not owning the car? I had intended to cancel my insurance and let her get insured with her own insurance company. Is this possible, or is it handier for me to just put her down as a named driver on my own policy? She does not have open drive on her policy.
    It's not open drive that she would require on her policy, it would be 'driving of other cars'. Most policyholders have this facility for third party cover. If she has her own car and you are coming back in a few months, the easiest solution is to have her named on your policy and keep it live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Could you not just leave the policy open in your name and add your misses onto it? It's free as far as I know, and that way it won't mess up your policy (losing a years no claim etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Plates365.com

I am not an insurance expert but in general you can't insure something you don't own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I am not an insurance expert but in general you can't insure something you don't own.

That's what I thought as well. I'll just keep my policy open and put her down as a named driver, even though my insurance is very very expensive compared to the pittance she pays.

Thanks' for the advice folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Sergeant wrote: »
    That's what I thought as well. I'll just keep my policy open and put her down as a named driver, even though my insurance is very very expensive compared to the pittance she pays.

Thanks' for the advice folks.

If your policy is way more expensive they hers, then go other way.

Let her swap car on her policy for your car, and suspend your policy for a period you are gone. Usually insurance companies would charge you something like 5% - 25% of your premium for the period your insurance is suspended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There's no problem insuring a car you don't own. I used to gift cars to rugby players and miss cork, and theyd have to have their own policys even though the car remained the property of the dealership.

Advertisement