Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Origins of the Blaa?

• 09-09-2010 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Just wondering where this mystical food started in Waterford, who thought it up and where it was baked/served first?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Probably in Downes in 1786, they had a bakery out the back where the original Mrs Downes liked fluffing up a nice length of dough, having had her fun she'd then bake some buns in her oven but one day the fire went out halfway through, it having been stoked rather too vigorously early on. Resulting in a crispy exterior but an under cooked centre. Said buns were unexpectedly hot as she yanked them out and she dropped them into the bowl of flour on the table. This cooled them and a quick nibble by Mrs Downes revealed them to taste quite nice, a nice which was upgraded to good when a slice of cheddar was slapped across a buttered one.

Or possibly it happened another way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

mike65 wrote: »
    Probably in Downes in 1786, they had a bakery out the back where the original Mrs Downes liked fluffing up a nice length of dough, having had her fun she'd then bake some buns in her oven but one day the fire went out halfway through, it having been stoked rather too vigorously early on. Resulting in a crispy exterior but an under cooked centre. Said buns were unexpectedly hot as she yanked them out and she dropped them into the bowl of flour on the table. This cooled them and a quick nibble by Mrs Downes revealed them to taste quite nice, a nice which was upgraded to good when a slice of cheddar was slapped across a buttered one.

I recall reading that it was the Hugenots who brought their skills from french bakeries when they emigrated to Ireland and they invented the blaa.

See, not all immigration is bad! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

I recall reading that it was the Hugenots who brought their skills from french bakeries when they emigrated to Ireland and they invented the blaa.

A small white roll called the "Petit Blanc"

so the non-French speaking Waterford people called it "Blaaaaaa"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

THall04 wrote: »
    A small white roll called the "Petit Blanc"

so the non-French speaking Waterford people called it "Blaaaaaa"
    Of course if you knew your history of Waterford, the pronounciation of the uvular 'R' (sounds like 'urr' rather than the Deefer 'aar') points to historical French/Norman influence on the language. There's a lot more French/Norman influence here than in Dublin for example. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

No thats Wikipedia, Im interested in the local history of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭bullpost

mais oui :D
    jmcc wrote: »
    Of course if you knew your history of Waterford, the pronounciation of the uvular 'R' (sounds like 'urr' rather than the Deefer 'aar') points to historical French/Norman influence on the language. There's a lot more French/Norman influence here than in Dublin for example. :)

Regards...jmcc

Shams wrote: »
    No thats Wikipedia, Im interested in the local history of it

Wtf are you talking about? I read it in a book called "Well" that came out in the 90's, I think it was by Eddie Wymberry.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

I'd love a blaa now.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

I'd love a blaa now.

and Tayto cheese & onion :D

Wtf are you talking about? I read it in a book called "Well" that came out in the 90's, I think it was by Eddie Wymberry.

Same info was on wikipedia. But wasnt aware their was book too, nice one.

• Advertisement

either way i like it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Whoever it was, there should be a monument to them on the Quays, a big bronze blaa would do nicely.. :D

Ya cant beat a warm blaa, loadsa butter, a few rashers and sausages in it..
    or with some red lead in it.. or ham, cheese and coleslaw, nyom nyom..

Ohh I tell ya, if someone exported them to Dublin, I'd be the first at their door ever morning.. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

True. The Huguenot explanation is generally accepted. Interesting that Waterford was a refuge for Protestants. Geneva baracks also gets its name from Protestant refugees coming to the Déise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Whoever it was, there should be a monument to them on the Quays, a big bronze blaa would do nicely.. :D

Ya cant beat a warm blaa, loadsa butter, a few rashers and sausages in it..
    or with some red lead in it.. or ham, cheese and coleslaw, nyom nyom..

Ohh I tell ya, if someone exported them to Dublin, I'd be the first at their door ever morning.. :p
    You can put almost any food in a blaa. Ever try a bit of spaghetti bolognese in a blaa? Feckin lovely it is. Or instead of cheese on toast, cheese on a blaa, with the blaa lightly toasted itself.

You can put almost any food in a blaa. Ever try a bit of spaghetti bolognese in a blaa? Feckin lovely it is. Or instead of cheese on toast, cheese on a blaa, with the blaa lightly toasted itself.

Ah now I don't agree with toasting of blaas, thats heresy, it takes away from the essential doughiness of the bread!

Also blaas should not be cut with a knife, they should be ripped open with the hands, they taste better that way for some reason :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Ah now I don't agree with toasting of blaas, thats heresy, it takes away from the essential doughiness of the bread!

Also blaas should not be cut with a knife, they should be ripped open with the hands, they taste better that way for some reason :D

I think toasting is legitimate if the blaa became a bit stale.

dayshah wrote: »
    I think toasting is legitimate if the blaa became a bit stale.

You let a blaa go stale???:eek:

The cheese should not be anything thinner than 5 mm and butter (BUTTER!) must squelch out from underneath it, then add ham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

while yer on about bla's and there fillings ,,where is the best place to get a bit of red lead in the city here or the corned beef,,its not the same anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Eating a blaa this very moment, it's delicious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Where can you get blaas on a Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Yep that is true. We give walking tours of Waterford and the origin of the blaa is one of the stories we tell :D

J'accuse Roomic Cube of eating a stale blaa or worse a thawed out frozen blaa! There are no fresh blaas on a Sunday and one thats more than about 6 hours old is already past its best.

Inspired by this thread I just had two blaas - butter, cheese and onion and a cheese and ham self indulgence. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

feckin' flour everywhere! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

that's the origin - but where does the word come from? I'll check for posts later - have to duck out before the blaas go hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

tomato and a pinch of salt, most excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

a meanies blaa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Hey Dan. What do you tell people about the origin of the word Blaa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

seanaway wrote: »
    Hey Dan. What do you tell people about the origin of the word Blaa?

Like BlaasForRafa said, French Huguenots came to Waterford because they were Protestants and being persecuted by Louis XIV. They were given The Franciscan Friary on Greyfriars to worship in, hence the name French Church. They naturally brought with them their language and cuisine including "pain blanc" meaning white bread. Locals in Waterford couldn't pronounce "blanc" and it came out "blaa" :) The rest as they say is history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

J'accuse Roomic Cube of eating a stale blaa or worse a thawed out frozen blaa! There are no fresh blaas on a Sunday and one thats more than about 6 hours old is already past its best.

lo! Hark unto the wisdom I shall bestow, Hayes' in John's park bake them fresh on a sunday morning, my blaa was delicious :D

Advertisement