Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Router advice please

• 09-09-2010 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all, I have a specific question and hope one of you can help me out. The primary school I work in is looking to buy a wireless router. However I am unsure if the 'bog standard' variety will work as the walls are all solid concrete and the network is based in the office at one end of the school and the router would need to transmit to all classroom upstairs and down, up to approx 20-30m away.
    Can anyone recommend a router powerful enough? Cost is, as always, an issue.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

its quite hard to say on what little evidence you have given.

how new is the school? if its fairly recent then the standard router should be able to go through a good few walls.

if its an old school with big thick walls it will barely go through one wall.

is the school wired for network connections already? if it was you might be able to put a router in the middle room to get better coverage for the school.

im no expert, but hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

AnonEmous wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a specific question and hope one of you can help me out. The primary school I work in is looking to buy a wireless router. However I am unsure if the 'bog standard' variety will work as the walls are all solid concrete and the network is based in the office at one end of the school and the router would need to transmit to all classroom upstairs and down, up to approx 20-30m away.
    Can anyone recommend a router powerful enough? Cost is, as always, an issue.
    Thanks.

Anon where is school based?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Netgear and Belkin both do routers which are N or N+ strenght.
    They retail around 100 Euro but are very powerful.

A friend who has a B&B in an old building (walls were 4FT thick in places) needed one this week and I got one (This one) for him from a PCworld store. Placed it in his attic.
    Worked grand downwards 3 floors and even the signal could be got in his basement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

As a bit of insurance if you purchase a router that supports WDS mode in DD-WRT you will be able to chain access points together, increasing coverage if needed.

FYI - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

Linksys seem to be pretty good quality these days, not so happy with Belkin they don't seem to be very flexible. I don't know about Netgear, although they seem to be reasonably good. I wouldn't have too many qualms purchasing one.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AnonEmous

Thanks for all the replies. Now I have a better idea of what might meet our needs. JPL888 your suggestion of adding access points sounds like the ideal solution to my problem. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 itmonkey

jpl888 wrote: »
    As a bit of insurance if you purchase a router that supports WDS mode in DD-WRT you will be able to chain access points together, increasing coverage if needed.

FYI - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

Linksys seem to be pretty good quality these days, not so happy with Belkin they don't seem to be very flexible. I don't know about Netgear, although they seem to be reasonably good. I wouldn't have too many qualms purchasing one.

Hope this helps.

I'll second the above. A LinkSys router modded to run DD-WRT is the Router for you. You can even increase the signal strength of the router to extend it's range. Be careful if you do this though as you can burn the board out.

Advertisement