Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usb wireless range boosters - any use?

Options
  • 09-09-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

hi, i live in a shared apt...but theres a few big thick wall between my room and the room the eircom router is in and im picking up a pretty poor signal on my dell xps laptop...my question is are the usb wifi adaptors with the antenna any good for boosting / extending signal?

ive heard about alpha' or 'gsky' models that have 1000mw and 1500mw range ...for around 30 quid

any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

It'd probably only benefit you if if it was a "n" draft and if you had an n router to be honest. A standard one wouldn't be much better than the wireless card in ur laptop. You could buy a decent router for about €60, connect it to ur eircom modem with an ethernet cable and Locate it nearer or in your room. It would act as a booster. Use same encryption and ssid but different channels and you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

excellent...thanks for the advice :)

Advertisement