Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to look out for ?

• 09-09-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm interested in this watch, however I have no idea what to check for to determine if it is real or not, can anyone advise me please?

http://www.adverts.ie/281657/mens-watches/breitling-colt/

Many thanks,
    HT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭piaget

That's a lot of money for quartz and an old model to boot. Nearly new automatic Colts are that sort of money on TZ.UK.

I was actually looking at a Colt II GMT (much higher spec) on TZ this week for that sort of money.

I'd pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yep theres a colt 2 with a more desirable blue face on tz-uk, that green looks a little much IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Thanks lads, I'll steer clear so, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Out of interest - what do you folks think would be a fair price?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hard one to call. Generally speaking watch nutters like myself will be a bit sniffy about quartz movements. Except for high end Omega/Rolex stuff from the past, early vintage G shocks, or some of the Seiko offerings where they're driving the technology and not just dropping in a quartz module with a fancy name on the dial. When a quartz of a model isn't far off the mechanical, the general consensus is go with the ticker. Even there, considering basic mass produced mechanical movements aren't that much more expensive to the trade... There's a bit of snobbery going on all over the place. I defo have it :o Hell I get a tad sniffy if its not pre WW2 :D

The chap selling something like the above, probably paid a fair whack for it so naturally assumes the market will go along with that. Me and this is just personally, I'd not pay more than say 300 quid. Like I say that's just me personally. Clearly tons of people pay more everyday for big name stuff with quartz movements and enjoy the watch and good luck to them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thanks Wibbs. On reflection, I was taken in by the brand more than the watch. I've taken a fancy to the omega seamasters, so will hang on for one of them I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I would agree with the previous poster, that watch is worth around €300. It's the older, smaller model. And it's a quartz. I paid €700 for an automatic Colt II a couple of years ago.
    I think people on adverts are often optimistic with pricing. Or maybe they are pricing the item knowing that they'll get offers and are willing to settle for 20% below the asking? Anyway, I would think that €650 should get you a Seamaster quartz, and maybe €900 for an automatic, going by prices on tz-uk etc. Good luck with the search.

Advertisement