Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Ireland

Options
  • 09-09-2010 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi there! I've just arrived at Ireland. Since I'm moving from Brazil, heaters are quite a new thing to myself.

I moved to an apartment with both storage heaters and regular ones.

I'm not sure the storage heaters are working, as yesterday I had them turned on and got input on 4 and output on 1, today they were as cold as stone.

Also, how long should I leave a heater on? I know this is a very strange question, but do they have some sort of thermometer? so leaving it on on let's say 4 will make them go on and off in order to save power?

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭chuchyface

Storage heaters heat up throughout the night when electricity is cheaper they then store that heat in blocks inside the heaters and gradually give out heat during the day.

I assume you are in an apartment and if this is the case most apartments are fitted with an outside thermostat for your storage heating. It tells the thermostat on your fuse board the outside air temperature and then the thermostat adjusts the amount of energy thatt your heaters should take in to take in to heat your home the next day.

The problem that I have found with this is that it reads the temperature of the night before you are going to use the heat which means that say for example Monday night could be very warm out so your termostat tell the storage heaters that they don't need much heat but Tuesday could be actually very cold and and your left freezing and the problem could also be the other way where the termostat reads the night time temperature as cold so blasts you with heat the following day when it is actually quite warm and they are useless if you are out working all day because by the time you come home form work all the heat is gone.

Anyway I think your problem right now is that it is too warm at night and your heaters are not taking in enough energy to give you any heat during the day.

Here ar some instructions for storage heaters which may help.

STORAGE HEATERS

• Ensure wall switch is turned On.
    • Turn Input control to maximum. (Unless already set and
    sealed by installer).
    • Turn Output/Boost to Low. (Unless already set and
    sealed by installer).
    • All storage heaters are controlled by a central controller
    located at your fuseboard.

FUSEBOARD INSTRUCTIONS -

This controller is normally located at the fuse board. Both
    (A) and (B) will be set by the installer at their
    mid-scale (i.e.▼).
    In the first 24 hours following connection the controller
    memorises the start and finishing times of the off-peak
    periods. Thereafter the controller will regulate the energy
    required to achieve and maintain the designed comfort
    temperatures.
    EXAMPLE
    The achieved temperatures may be adjusted by the
    consumer altering controls (A) and (B) as follows:
    Control (A): This control is normally set at (▼) which should
    be suitable for most situations. However, should adjustment
    be necessary then turn clockwise between (▼) and (+4) to
    increase heat
    or
    anti-clockwise between (▼) and (-4) to decrease
    temperature. It is advisable to make these changes over two
    nights going to say (+2) or (-2) on the first night and then
    further adjust as necessary.
    Control (B): On the night-only tariffs control (B) is
    inoperative and should be left set at (▼).
    Const. is a TEST SETTING ONLY.
    Lamp (C) An intermittent red light will flash at all times
    during the heating season, the rate of flashing indicates the
    percentage of the load being applied.
    Lamp (D) A red light glows when heating is on and a green
    light at all other times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 vccarvalho

Thanks a lot for your explanation. Today the storage heaters kicked in, hope I get a warm home this evening.

I noticed that most windows have sealing problems, I could feel the cold air breeze through almost each corner of them. I'm gonna call my landlord this afternoon, is it his duties to fix this for me?

Regards

Advertisement