Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession, Me Arse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OP you remind me of the customers I get when I'm in one of our branches in the deep south(side). Throw money at the problem and/or have a continuous air of "oh but I can't possibly be to blame, why should I put in effort when I'm paying good money" etc. The delivery guy may have been a little lazy/cocky but that doesn't excuse your behaviour tbh.

There's bad customer service, and then there's bad customers. You're the sort I'd prefer not to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Isn't this more to do with insurance/liability than laziness. I had a computer delivered from Dell to my home a few years ago and the delivery guy could only bring the boxes inside the front door as he wasn't covered by insurance to bring them any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

I did actually ask him nicely. I am polite to everyone (unless they have been rude to me) - and I certainly wouldn't infer that you are a prick, because that wouldn't be polite at all.

You would expect people to try & go the extra mile these days, but this prick wouldn't even go the extra 20 foot.

Recession, me arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

sdonn wrote: »
    OP you remind me of the customers I get when I'm in one of our branches in the deep south(side). Throw money at the problem and/or have a continuous air of "oh but I can't possibly be to blame, why should I put in effort when I'm paying good money" etc. The delivery guy may have been a little lazy/cocky but that doesn't excuse your behaviour tbh.

There's bad customer service, and then there's bad customers. You're the sort I'd prefer not to have.

That post really sums up the OPs side of this. From your post, you seem to be in some sort of managerial role? Are you? If so, that is a piss poor attitude to have. You'd prefer not to have a customer if they complain about a lazy/cocky staff member?
    our branches

Will you name the company? If you really feel like that, you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Manic Preacher

Sometimes it's hard to believe there's a recession happening when so many places still give really bad customer service. I've had a few occurances over the last while, but today's took the biscuit...

I ordered some paper last week from a company in Dublin - 50 rolls of A1 size sheets for a printer. The delivery guy arrived today & started to unload the boxes, leaving them propped up against the wall just inside the gates leading to my office / studio.

After a few minutes, I went out to him and told him that they needed to be brought into the storeroom at the back of the office. He said that he only delivered to the "point of entry" & I would have to bring them there myself.

The storeroom is about 20 foot away from the gate.

I told him again that I wanted them put in the storeroom, that I didn't have time for this malarky & that I'd paid his company to deliver the paper to my office & not drop them against a wall beside the gate.

He looked at me with a big, thick head on him & said, "well, de ye bleedin' want 'em or naat - coz I can leave 'em here or take 'em back?"

I told him to take them back.

So he did. And drove all the way back to Dublin with them. A 400km round trip drive for nothing.

You would expect people to try & go the extra mile these days, but this prick wouldn't even go the extra 20 foot.

Recession, me arse.

Your little story has nothing to do with the recession so the title of the thread is misleading. Also, what you did was incredibly petty. I used to do deliveries myself and came across this thing a lot. It's amazing how you get a great idea of what a person is like after meeting them for just a few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

I can't believe that all of this backing up of the delivery guy is still going on. For fúck's sake, the guy has a job. The job is to deliver goods to customers. The customer asked for the goods to be delivered to an office. The guy refused. The customer decided not to pay for a service which he did not think was up to scratch.

What's the big deal here?

We Irish just bitch and moan constantly about how shít things are and how we get fleeced left right and centre. Time and time again we just hand over the money and then mumble under our breaths or post on boards about how shafted we are. The OP decided to vote with his wallet and say

"My custom should be important enough to a business for them to provide me with a first rate service - they didn't do that so I will go elsewhere with my custom"

The manager of the company went ballistic when he heard so this should be clear indication that the OP was well within the bounds of reason when it came to his request - therefore the driver was taking the mick.

I would do exactly the same to be honest. To all you who think the OP is being petty by sending the goods back over a small thing, why is it that you don't think the delivery driver is being petty by preferring to drive 400km's for nothing rather than deposit the items where requested.

He wasn't being asked to deliver them to the top of a tree - just into the office. If, for example, the Irish Times were ordering stationery, do you think the driver would leave it all on the street outside for the staff to bring in?

No. Of course not - so why can't you all just accept the fact that the driver chose not to do his job and the OP chose not to pay. This should have been closed off pages back.

The post also has a lot to do with the recession - SME's everywhere are saying that in these times it's necessary to go the extra mile for customers in order to stay in business - this guy wouldn't even go an extra yard. In tough times, the way to prosper is to differentiate yourself from the competition - this is not the way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Your little story has nothing to do with the recession so the title of the thread is misleading. Also, what you did was incredibly petty. I used to do deliveries myself and came across this thing a lot. It's amazing how you get a great idea of what a person is like after meeting them for just a few minutes.

I used to do deliveries myself too - during the summers I worked for my dad's company when I was a youngfella, doing deliveries around the country. Some customers wanted the boxes left outside the shop so they could sort them themselves, some had us put them in their stock rooms & some would get you to stack them on their shelves.

But whatever the customer asked for, you just got on & did it - it was all part of the job - and you did it to keep the customer happy so that they would place another order with you.

I run my own business now & as with all walks of life, some people I deal with are sound, others less so, but I still go out of my way to make sure that they are happy & feel like I care about their custom.

And why? Simple... they're the ones paying me. And possibly even more importantly - Ireland's a small country - where I work is even smaller & word of mouth from a pissed off client travels fast.

It takes a long time to build up a good reputation as a business, but a very short time to get a bad one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've almost ran out of my daily allowance of 'thanks' in this one thread alone :mad:

Some funny sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Manic Preacher

I used to do deliveries myself too - during the summers I worked for my dad's company when I was a youngfella, doing deliveries around the country. Some customers wanted the boxes left outside the shop so they could sort them themselves, some had us put them in their stock rooms & some would get you to stack them on their shelves.

But whatever the customer asked for, you just got on & did it - it was all part of the job - and you did it to keep the customer happy so that they would place another order with you.

I run my own business now & as with all walks of life, some people I deal with are sound, others less so, but I still go out of my way to make sure that they are happy & feel like I care about their custom.

And why? Simple... they're the ones paying me. And possibly even more importantly - Ireland's a small country - where I work is even smaller & word of mouth from a pissed off client travels fast.

It takes a long time to build up a good reputation as a business, but a very short time to get a bad one.

You make some fair points there. I still think you should have taken the delivery and then tell the company that you won't be doing business with them again. The delivery guy did sound unprofessional. I would have rang the company to tell them what happened and that you'll be taking your business elsewhere.

By not taking the delivery you also inconvenienced yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I can't believe that all of this backing up of the delivery guy is still going on. For fúck's sake, the guy has a job. The job is to deliver goods to customers. The customer asked for the goods to be delivered to an office. The guy refused. The customer decided not to pay for a service which he did not think was up to scratch.

At what point is are the goods deemed delivered? When the customer has decided they are in the right spot and conform to the feng shui of his room?

The postman analogy at the start was a good one. Whats the difference? 2 different people doing essentially the same job but because people expect a postman to dump the post and leave thats fine, but the delivery guy here has to bow down to whatever the customer wants? Smacks very much of MrPinks tipping speech, tip the guy in the restaurant, but not McDonalds.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    At what point is are the goods deemed delivered? When the customer has decided they are in the right spot and conform to the feng shui of his room?

The postman analogy at the start was a good one. Whats the difference?

Damn right when the customer deems them delivered. Look at the example in my post of the Irish Times delivery - would you think it ok for their supplies to be left outside for the staff to bring in?

That question only requires a yes or no answer - I await your response.

P.S. as far as I know, your post is delivered when it's left in your post box, your letter box or handed to you. It's not delivered by leaving it on the wet ground outside your house.

You make some fair points there. I still think you should have taken the delivery and then tell the company that you won't be doing business with them again. The delivery guy did sound unprofessional. I would have rang the company to tell them what happened and that you'll be taking your business elsewhere.

By not taking the delivery you also inconvenienced yourself.

I didn't have time to be dealing with the issue at the time. I was in a meeting when the delivery guy knocked on the door... he'd already dropped the paper inside the gate & onto the wet ground. When I asked him if he could move them to the store, he gave me two choices... he could leave them where they were or he could take them back.

So I told him to take them back. It was no skin off my nose - I got paper delivered the next day from someone else. What really bugged me was that someone could waste 6 hours driving to deliver something, then turn around & drive back, unpaid, simply because they couldn't be arsed doing a few minutes extra work.

I've been accused of being arrogant in this thread, but I think the driver was the arrogant one - his attitude of "well if you don't want it, you can f*ck off", just totally stunned me.

And if someone doesn't want my business, as they clearly didn't, then I'll go to someone who does. A company who operates like that won't stay open too long.

Damn right when the customer deems them delivered.
    P.S. as far as I know, your post is delivered when it's left in your post box, your letter box or handed to you. It's not delivered by leaving it on the wet ground outside your house.

Who made that destiction? Where does it say once the postman drops in in the letterbox its delivered but a courier/delivery person has to come allt he way in to your home and put the goods whereve you choose?

And where is the line drawn? You say business should be destinguishing themselves in these times, at what stage do they stop and say enough? How long should they spend hanging around to please a customer?

Say for example you were waiting on goods and were next on the list after Starbelgrade. You need these goods today but the guy gets to starbelgrades house at near finishing time, he spends an extra few minutes pleasing him but as a result, he's too late to go to you so he puts you off till tomorrow. I'm sure you'd be delighted.

Who made that destiction? Where does it say once the postman drops in in the letterbox its delivered but a courier/delivery person has to come allt he way in to your home and put the goods whereve you choose?

So you'd be ok with it if you walked out the door one day to find your post sitting on the wet ground because the postman had decided that's where he'd like to leave it?
    And where is the line drawn? You say business should be destinguishing themselves in these times, at what stage do they stop and say enough? How long should they spend hanging around to please a customer?

Say for example you were waiting on goods and were next on the list after Starbelgrade. You need these goods today but the guy gets to starbelgrades house at near finishing time, he spends an extra few minutes pleasing him but as a result, he's too late to go to you so he puts you off till tomorrow. I'm sure you'd be delighted.

Is this the same few minutes it took to re-load the goods back into the van?

P.S. you still haven't ansewred my question re; the hpothetical delivery to the Irish Times?

Perhaps because you already know the answer and are now beating Red Rum?

P.S. you still haven't ansewred my question re; the hpothetical delivery to the Irish Times?

Perhaps because you already know the answer and are now beating Red Rum?

Nope it's because I couldnt find it. I skimmed over your post a couple of times before I saw it.

Most deliveries I've had have been handed to me at the door or put in the shop I was working in. It wouldnt occur to me to ask a delivery guy to put in in the store room for me.

So you'd be ok with it if you walked out the door one day to find your post sitting on the wet ground because the postman had decided that's where he'd like to leave it?

The stuff wasnt just abandoned outside for the OP to find at asome stage durign the day. The guy was unloading it when he came out. I'd say it's safe to say teh delivery guy would have knocked on the door lookign for a signature and letting the OP know his stuff was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

The delivery guy sounds quite lazy and ignorant.

OP you did the right thing, you weren't getting the service you wanted so you went elsewhere, simple as!

Did the other company deliver to your store room? I'm sure they did

finty wrote: »
    The delivery guy sounds quite lazy and ignorant.

OP you did the right thing, you weren't getting the service you wanted so you went elsewhere, simple as!

Did the other company deliver to your store room? I'm sure they did

Yep. They did. And they even took away some empty boxes & rolls that I had in the storeroom that I couldn't fit into the recycling bin.

I'll be using them in future.

Nope it's because I couldnt find it. I skimmed over your post a couple of times before I saw it.

Most deliveries I've had have been handed to me at the door or put in the shop I was working in. It wouldnt occur to me to ask a delivery guy to put in in the store room for me.

Thanks for dealing with it but, with due respect, you didn't really answer the question which simply was "Would it be ok for the company delivering the office supplies to the Irish Times office to leave it outside for the staff to bring in?"

The stuff wasnt just abandoned outside for the OP to find at asome stage durign the day. The guy was unloading it when he came out. I'd say it's safe to say teh delivery guy would have knocked on the door lookign for a signature and letting the OP know his stuff was there.

But here is the real nub of the issue - common sense and courtesy would dictate that the delivery guy would first knock on the door to check the address was correct and that the customer was there. He would then say "where will I leave it for you?" if there is an issue with the directions at that point he would say "sorry guv - can't do that - insurance issues"

What if the OP wasn't in - would the driver have left the stuff there or would he have had to load it back into the van. Seems to me like he had his mind made up where it was going before he ever got there.

That post really sums up the OPs side of this. From your post, you seem to be in some sort of managerial role? Are you? If so, that is a piss poor attitude to have. You'd prefer not to have a customer if they complain about a lazy/cocky staff member? .

I'm an acting manager yes, but not in the branch I'm referring to. I don't have a piss poor attitude, my opinion as reflected above is kept to myself and I give every customer the same quality of customer service regardless of how they treat me; any less would be unprofessional and it's not how I like to behave. However that does not mean I can't disagree with their attitudes anonymously on a forum.
    Will you name the company? If you really feel like that, you should.

Frankly, enough of my coworkers use this site that I'd probably end up in hot water if I did. Suffice to say we have numerous branches and deal in electronics, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Tell me, what time are you open until tonight?

• Advertisement

I'm an acting manager yes, but not in the branch I'm referring to. I don't have a piss poor attitude, my opinion as reflected above is kept to myself and I give every customer the same quality of customer service regardless of how they treat me; any less would be unprofessional and it's not how I like to behave. However that does not mean I can't disagree with their attitudes anonymously on a forum.

Frankly, enough of my coworkers use this site that I'd probably end up in hot water if I did. Suffice to say we have numerous branches and deal in electronics, etc.

Thanks for the reply. Just one thing you didn't clarify . . As a manager, you'd prefer the company to lose a sale/repeat customer, than listen to a vaild complaint from a pissed off customer? Did I get that right from your last post?

This is what I don't understand. How can you call yourself a manager / business minded person and have an attitude like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm throwing my 2c's in for the craic here.

I can't ****ING stand bad customer service. It's one thing that really gets on my tits.

However, there are such things as bad customers. You know the ones, the right royal pain in the arse ones, that are so much effort that they are not worth putting in the time on.

Was Starbelgrade wrong in expecting the items to be delivered to the correct area? No. Did he (possibly) come across wrong in his dealing with said delivery driver, possibly. (Without actually being there, I don't know what was said.) Was the driver right to GTFO? No.

We get a number of deliveries to the hotel, and a lot come up to the front door. They get told to bring them to the delivery entrance (which most of them pass to get to the front) whether they have started to unload or not. Do some bitch, and piss, and moan? Yes. BUT the front door is not the delivery area. The delivery area is marked as the delivery area. All deliveries are told to go for the delivery area, unless otherwise specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

"My custom should be important enough to a business for them to provide me with a first rate service - they didn't do that so I will go elsewhere with my custom"

The manager of the company went ballistic when he heard so this should be clear indication that the OP was well within the bounds of reason when it came to his request - therefore the driver was taking the mick.

the delievery person should have known this sayingit is far easier to hold a good customer, ---- than it is to find a new customer.OP i agree with you all the way, about time businesses sacked employees who do not appreciate customers, this sh-t happens in restaurants and shops also,where do these people think the boss gets the money to pay their wages, hopefully they dont think it comes from not making effort

Thanks for the reply. Just one thing you didn't clarify . . As a manager, you'd prefer the company to lose a sale/repeat customer, than listen to a vaild complaint from a pissed off customer? Did I get that right from your last post?

This is what I don't understand. How can you call yourself a manager / business minded person and have an attitude like that.

I said a customer I'd rather not have. That doesn't mean I won't take their money and be nice to them as I do it - like I said I treat all customers the same.

In a nutshell - on a personal level, I'd tell the OP to shove off - on a professional level I'd keep my trap shut, suck it up and do business. That's what I meant from my original post.

I said a customer I'd rather not have. That doesn't mean I won't take their money and be nice to them as I do it - like I said I treat all customers the same.

In a nutshell - on a personal level, I'd tell the OP to shove off - on a professional level I'd keep my trap shut, suck it up and do business. That's what I meant from my original post.

And therein lies a fundamental difference between me & you. In your original post, you accused me of being the type to "throw money" at a problem & of having airs "money is king" about me.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm an architect & have been for quite some time. During the boom years, I walked away from the profession, because the building industry was taken over by f*ckwits with easy access to credit & land, and who, slowly went up their own arses with greed & power. The day I decided I'd had enough was when a client walked into my office, tore up a design for an apartment block I had designed & said, "I'm the f*cking developer - I'll tell you how they're supposed to look."

I told him to go f*ck himself, then left Dublin, moved to the West & set up a music business. I have no time for fools & even less time for fools who think their money makes them important.

Since the recession hit, all those idiots are now either bust, or under the thumb of NAMA & the only people building now are one of clients, with less money, but a lot more respect for what I do, so I'm back working part time in the profession again & part time with my other business.

So you see, unlike you, I can't maintain two faces by sucking up to people with money, whilst holding my tongue. And I certainly don't throw money at problems... I do however expect value for money & good customer service - but if I don't get it, I have no problem in telling them to go f*ck themselves too. Because basically I treat all people the same - whether they're a delivery man or millionaire developer.

I expect basic common sense, courtesy & manners from all - I give it, so I expect it in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Trekker09

And therein lies a fundamental difference between me & you. In your original post, you accused me of being the type to "throw money" at a problem & of having airs "money is king" about me.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm an architect & have been for quite some time. During the boom years, I walked away from the profession, because the building industry was taken over by f*ckwits with easy access to credit & land, and who, slowly went up their own arses with greed & power. The day I decided I'd had enough was when a client walked into my office, tore up a design for an apartment block I had designed & said, "I'm the f*cking developer - I'll tell you how they're supposed to look."

I told him to go f*ck himself, then left Dublin, moved to the West & set up a music business. I have no time for fools & even less time for fools who think their money makes them important.

Since the recession hit, all those idiots are now either bust, or under the thumb of NAMA & the only people building now are one of clients, with less money, but a lot more respect for what I do, so I'm back working part time in the profession again & part time with my other business.

So you see, unlike you, I can't maintain two faces by sucking up to people with money, whilst holding my tongue. And I certainly don't throw money at problems... I do however expect value for money & good customer service - but if I don't get it, I have no problem in telling them to go f*ck themselves too. Because basically I treat all people the same - whether they're a delivery man or millionaire developer.

I expect basic common sense, courtesy & manners from all - I give it, so I expect it in return.

Ha yea, I also had the (dis)pleasure of dealing with these so called property developers! 95% of them were a bunch of ignorant tire kickers driving around in Range Rover Sports, but back to the main topic! Imagine the scenario: An important client has arrived for a meeting, you're proceeding with the meeting when you say "Sorry, just got to pop out to put the print paper into the store room, will be back in 10"

What a great impression you leave on that client!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

Sometimes it's hard to believe there's a recession happening when so many places still give really bad customer service. I've had a few occurances over the last while, but today's took the biscuit...

I ordered some paper last week from a company in Dublin - 50 rolls of A1 size sheets for a printer. The delivery guy arrived today & started to unload the boxes, leaving them propped up against the wall just inside the gates leading to my office / studio.

After a few minutes, I went out to him and told him that they needed to be brought into the storeroom at the back of the office. He said that he only delivered to the "point of entry" & I would have to bring them there myself.

The storeroom is about 20 foot away from the gate.

I told him again that I wanted them put in the storeroom, that I didn't have time for this malarky & that I'd paid his company to deliver the paper to my office & not drop them against a wall beside the gate.

He looked at me with a big, thick head on him & said, "well, de ye bleedin' want 'em or naat - coz I can leave 'em here or take 'em back?"

I told him to take them back.

So he did. And drove all the way back to Dublin with them. A 400km round trip drive for nothing.

Recession, me arse.

The title of this caught me eye earlier this week and i can't believe it's gone to 18 pages.

I get Paper delivered to the workshop on a regular basis an order can be 85k - 90k of SRA3 papers, various types, Various rolls of stock about 10 - 15 of 1067mm x 15m, 30m, sometimes 60m,

When the delivery guy shows up, they show up at the delivery door. i pop it open and usually 4 out of 5 times, the two of us will handball the stock in, I'll ask first if they would. if its pissing rain, the delivery guys would know not to leave it out on the rain as i havent signed for the consignment they're still responsible........

There's the important line there, i havent signed for the consignment, It's still in their charge.

I can relate to the OP's point about the product in the rain, nothing to do with the supplier, just their choice of delivery, and the driver on the day.

If a client is there i ask the client if they mind waiting 5 mins so i can get it into the stock room, never had an issue. if it's a dry day i dont mind it being at the stock door, but if it's raining it'd be nice to get the hand to bring the stock in.

The drivers attitude could've been better, But OP Do you not think it was a little bit harsh to send the consignment back? or had the stock been damaged due to weather at that point? (If so then fair enough to send it back)

Just my opinion.

Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Trekker09

nothing to do with the supplier, just their choice of delivery, and the driver on the day.

Completely wrong there. The driver is representing the supplier and is the direct face of the company, if he acts like a knob then by default the company gets the brunt of it. It is up to the supplier to ensure that all of their employees and contractors have a code of conduct. It shouldn't be pot luck on which driver you get either.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

The Supplier is responsible for the conduct of Their delivery Courier?

So In essence what you're saying is if i send goods to you or to other clients I'm Responsible for the drivers attitude and conduct? be they DHL or DPD? Not Every Company has their own Courier

i agree about the pot luck point but how on earth am I to make sure the courier is up to standard on the conduct? ring him and say are you a happy person to be delivering?

• Advertisement

RTighe wrote: »
    The Supplier is responsible for the conduct of Their delivery Courier?

So In essence what you're saying is if i send goods to you or to other clients I'm Responsible for the drivers attitude and conduct? be they DHL or DPD? Not Every Company has their own Courier

i agree about the pot luck point but how on earth am I to make sure the courier is up to standard on the conduct? ring him and say are you a happy person to be delivering?

RTighe wrote: »
    i can't believe it's gone to 18 pages.

You obviously didn't read the 18 pages. The delivery guy was a direct employee of the supplier.

Advertisement