Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vegetarian substitute for black pudding

Options
  • 09-09-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭

I'm cooking for a few people next week, one of whom is a vegetarian. I'm going to cook scallops and black pudding on red onion marmalade for starter but will have to substitute something for the black pudding for the vege - any ideas? Would have to be something with a fairly "meaty" texture I think.

o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

pretty sure a strict veggie wont eat scallops either. you might want to check with them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Stuffed Portobella mushroom maybe? Feta stuffed peppers... Or grilled haloumi cheese-really good with red onion marmalade!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would suggest the mushroom as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep, they probably won't eat scallops either as that's fish.

Portobello mushroom topped with Halloumi cheese and then the red onion marmalade sounds awesome, though I would personally prefer a grilled pepper instead of the mushroom.

I've had grilled peppers topped with feta and red onion marmalade before. It's delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

They eat fish so the scallops aren't a problem. The mushroom and cheese sound good but I'm looking for something with a contrasting texture to the scallops - kind of grainy (like black pudding)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

maybe this?

http://www.masterchef.com.au/chickpea-and-couscous-burgers.htm

You could make a smaller version for the veggie, couscous carries flavours really well and you could adpat the recipe to suit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Something grainy as a counterpoint to the soft scallop? You could try wheatgerm, cous cous, bulgar wheat, barley, quinoa or fregola pasta. You could also try polenta - cooked and set in a thin layer, use a cookie cutter to cut out some shapes from the cold polenta and pan fry in a little oil until crispy. As most of these are mild or bland in flavour, use something to pep up the flavour.

Thanaks Minder and Shinikins - never thought of a grain - that's perfect

okedoke

shinikins wrote: »
    maybe this?

http://www.masterchef.com.au/chickpea-and-couscous-burgers.htm

You could make a smaller version for the veggie, couscous carries flavours really well and you could adpat the recipe to suit

this worked a treat last night, in fact veggie burgers are on the menu for tonight for us (carnivores) - thanks for the recipe

okedoke

Advertisement