Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaspersky Pure

• 10-09-2010 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Think I finally figured out why my speedtest.net results are all over the place.

I turned off my antivirus (Kaspersky Pure) and ran a few speed tests. All the speed tests including the ones with Kaspersky Pure ON were carried out on the same server while using a wired connection.

Am on a 30Mb UPC connection.

Kaspersky Pure - OFF

947281639.png

947282223.png

947283062.png

947285811.png

Kaspersky Pure - ON

947283862.png

947284414.png

947284974.png

947286478.png

Strange thing is that my actual download speed is not slower with Kaspersky Pure on, a little bit faster if anything, but I am worried about the ms.

Strangest one so far

947289031.png

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? My upload speed seems unaffected is this because Kasperky pure is monitoring downloads?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

that sounds very much like a question for you to ask in the kapersky pure forums. :)

unless you want to change your internet security software anyway, but probably not being as you're paying for it. ;)

the bottom line is that speedtest.net is a very arbitrary way to test your speed and connection quality and isn't exactly known for being 100% accurate 100% of the time (and i'm being kind).

if you want accurate results, download multiping and do some proper ping tests to servers that you regularly use and leave it going for a while with kapersky on and off and see what difference it makes (if any).

10ms isn't a huge difference and for the most part is unlikely to have any effect whatsoever on anything except online gaming and even that's a bit of a stretch unless your an uber gamer. :)

also, get yourself a copy of filezilla and try downloading multiple large files (3 or 4 linux ISO's or something like that, until you're sure you're maxing your connection out) via FTP from different sources at the same time and measure your aggregated speed from those at different times of the day and night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I think it may have to do with Kaspersky's Web Antivirus module.

It caches all data downloaded - my speedtest results on 15mb line were always 25-45 mb/s until I realised KIS was caching the speedtest then releasing it in a big burst resulting in mad download speed values for my connection

Do speedtest with Kaspersky paused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭KeithM23

vibe666 wrote: »
    that sounds very much like a question for you to ask in the kapersky pure forums. :)

unless you want to change your internet security software anyway, but probably not being as you're paying for it. ;)

the bottom line is that speedtest.net is a very arbitrary way to test your speed and connection quality and isn't exactly known for being 100% accurate 100% of the time (and i'm being kind).

if you want accurate results, download multiping and do some proper ping tests to servers that you regularly use and leave it going for a while with kapersky on and off and see what difference it makes (if any).

10ms isn't a huge difference and for the most part is unlikely to have any effect whatsoever on anything except online gaming and even that's a bit of a stretch unless your an uber gamer. :)

also, get yourself a copy of filezilla and try downloading multiple large files (3 or 4 linux ISO's or something like that, until you're sure you're maxing your connection out) via FTP from different sources at the same time and measure your aggregated speed from those at different times of the day and night.

I forgot to explain why I didn't post it there, I am kind of on a permanent free 30 - day trial, so I figured I shouldn't push my luck.

Will try filezilla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

KeithM23 wrote: »
    I forgot to explain why I didn't post it there, I am kind of on a permanent free 30 - day trial, so I figured I shouldn't push my luck.

Will try filezilla.
    in that case, you *could try a permanent free 30 day trial of something else! :p

(*not that we'd advocate that here of course)

Advertisement