Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Savage 223's

Options
  • 10-09-2010 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

All,
    Has anyone any hands-on experience with Savage bolt action 223's?

I am looking into getting a varmint rifle to do a bit of fox control.

Normally, the only rifle I look at is the Remington 700, however, I have heard the Savages mentioned here.

What length of barrel would you recommend? Is shorter better? Bull barrel optional or cannot live without? What twist? Is 1:12 optimal? Is 1:9 too much?

If you have a particular model, please name it.

Thanks for any constructive help.

Slan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

I'd love one of these and I'm a remmy man myself. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ Getting great reviews online, only downside I seen was due to weight. Did ya try getting your own .223 back yet mate? That link isn;t direct, click firearms, then browse models, then centrefire, then 12 series varmint. It's the LRPV models.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The Savages have a great trigger and smashing barrels. If you're looking for a varmint type build they'd be superb. If you'd like a lighter, more portable gun, then I haven't any experience of their lighter weight models, but all reports are that accuracy is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Kay_9,
    Decided to leave the Remmy where is. I figured I would try my own version of a stimulus plan over this side - buy guns!

Was thinking about the Savage, never had one. Also, heard of the Howa's - some great deals out there.

I always like to hear from people who have had it in the field and put it through the paces.

BTW - has the scope had any confirmed varmints? :) Have you figured out the parallax? They're beauties, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Them savages sure are lovely. I went out last night for a look but nothing out. The parallax is easy enough use. It's even better than I thought at night too. Lovely and bright. If you decide on getting another varmint rifle here, don;t hesitate to give me a bell for a nights lamping.:) Hope the weather is ok tonight for an hour. Might bless it. You getting much use from the rangfinder?

Advertisement