Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gig Thread

Options
  • 10-09-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭

Thought it might be good to have a thread for up and coming gigs, ticket advise etc.

So what's coming up for you? Between now and Christmas I have the Manic Street Preachers, Metallica, Bon Jovi and Muse. Costing me a fortune!

The Smashing Pumpkins have also confirmed their dates for next month so I'm considering that as well.

All that and it's not even festival season yet!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Goin to Bon Jovi meself. Should be a good one, seen them in Punchestown a few years ago. Great live band.

Tried to get Metallica tickets, no go though. Ive seen them twice before anyway so i wasnt too bothered.

<snip>lets not have this again</snip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Have my U2 ticket now (thanks to Skittlebrau!) and also got tickets to Meredith Music Festival though I don’t know many of the bands playing except The Fall who I’m not a big fan off.

Still kicking myself that I missed the sideshows from Splendor in the Grass '10. Would have loved to see Laura Marling and Foals. So yea this could be really useful!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Have U2 standing tickets for their second date.
    Now to fight for time off work :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Thought it might be good to have a thread for up and coming gigs, ticket advise etc.

So what's coming up for you? Between now and Christmas I have the Manic Street Preachers, Metallica, Bon Jovi and Muse. Costing me a fortune!

The Smashing Pumpkins have also confirmed their dates for next month so I'm considering that as well.

All that and it's not even festival season yet!

Hey Xavi, Anything good on in Perth between 6-20 Oct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Mackman wrote: »
    Goin to Bon Jovi meself. Should be a good one, seen them in Punchestown a few years ago. Great live band.

Tried to get Metallica tickets, no go though. Ive seen them twice before anyway so i wasnt too bothered.

<snip>

Not this again...bloody begrudgery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

MOD This is a good idea. But I won't tolerate arguements over music, you can bring that to the music/AH forums.

Edit: Nevermind

Bill Connolly is coming up and presale tickets can be bought here (for sydney)
    http://www.sydneyoperahouse.com/priority/billy_connolly_the_man.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Hey Xavi, Anything good on in Perth between 6-20 Oct?

Smashing Pumpkins is October 12th. Tickets on sale next week. Alexisonfire play October 13th if you're into that kinda thing. Godskitchen is on the 8th, Paramore on the 10th, Paul Weller on the 14th/15th and the Village People on the 20th ;)

You miss Metallica by two days.

Lol and Aslan are here at the end of this month. Didn't realise Christy was allowed out of the country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Coming up I have...

The Boredoms at the Forum as part of the Arts Festival on 9 October,

Low at the same venue on 21 October

and U2 on 1 December.

You'll have a ball at Meredith, Doc. Best festival ever. Didn't get tickets this year but am hoping for some sideshows. Dirty Three and Sally Seltmann shows would do nicely.

Think I'll give the Pumpkins a miss too. First band I ever saw live and every time I've seen them since they've just ruined the memory a little bit more. It's just Billy left at this stage anyway isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

You'll have a ball at Meredith, Doc. Best festival ever. Didn't get tickets this year but am hoping for some sideshows. Dirty Three and Sally Seltmann shows would do nicely.

Yea I’m sure I will any festival with naked races and BYO as an essential part of it is bound to be fun no matter who is playing. I went last year and it was great crack bought the tickets of a mate this year without even looking at who was headlining.

Got me some Smashing Pumkins tickets anyway :D

Linkin Park and Guns n Roses have announced December tours as well with Korn supporting the latter.

Arcade Fire rumoured to be locked in for February so I'll be all over that.

Smashing Pumpkins should be good.

Im thinking fo going to the Bridgetown Blues festival in November. Anyone ever go? Looks pretty good.
    www.bluesatbridgetown.com

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

For those who would like a taste of something direct from home, Aslan have just kicked off a tour in Oz.
    http://www.aslan.ie/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=212&Itemid=85

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I agree with ya , where are the headliners ? very weak line up imo !

Got me some Smashing Pumkins tickets anyway :D

Turns out the g/f wants to see 'em so I'll be heading along too.

It usually is IMO. Couple of good bands there though. Grinderman, LCD Soundsystem, Primal Scream and the Black Keys. That's about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Nor sure it is anyones cup of tea on here but godskitchen this Sunday in the Horden Pavillion should be good for us dance music lovers. In 3D as well...should be interesting after a lot of alcohol etc etc!

Just added Doves and Jimmy Eat World to my upcoming gig list. It's growing by the week!

Kings of Leon (very unimpressed last time I seen them)
    Doves
    Eddie Vedder solo
    and of course Barry Manilow are all playing sydney March/April ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

It's almost time for the first U2 concert in Melbourne now, gates open in a little over an hour. Pity the heavens just opened about twenty minutes ago and it doesn't look like clearing any time soon.

Traq wrote: »
    It's almost time for the first U2 concert in Melbourne now, gates open in a little over an hour. Pity the heavens just opened about twenty minutes ago and it doesn't look like clearing any time soon.

Luckily the rain held off. I really enjoyed the gig but it's been getting some mixed reviews. I though they were on form and certainly better than the last time I saw them. Was quite impressed with Jay-Z too.

Next in line for me are...

The National in Jan,
    Conor O'Brien (Villagers) in Feb I think and,
    Primal Scream doing Screamadelica (not sure exactly when).

Debating whether to pick up tickets for The Books too.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭WopTittyPop

Just added Doves and Jimmy Eat World to my upcoming gig list. It's growing by the week!

Where are Jimmy Eat World playing and how much are tickets? I would Google but my internet connection is a disaster..
    Also, very jealous that you're going to Bon Jovi and Muse (didn't know Biffy Clyro were supporting!). Muse are incredible live!

Anyone heading Linkin Park on the 11th/15th?

Where are Jimmy Eat World playing and how much are tickets? I would Google but my internet connection is a disaster..
    Also, very jealous that you're going to Bon Jovi and Muse (didn't know Biffy Clyro were supporting!). Muse are incredible live!

* Tue 5 April - Perth, MetroCity (18+)
    * Wed 6 April - Adelaide, Governor Hindmarsh (18+)
    * Fri 8 April - Sydney, Enmore Theatre (A/A)
    * Sat 9 April - Brisbane, The Tivoli (18+)
    * Mon 11 April - Melbourne, Palace Theatre (18+)
    * Wed 13 April - Auckland, Powerstation (18+)

Tickets are $67 for Perth anyway which is quite reasonable.

Muse and Biffy will be quality. I've seen Muse seven times already so I pretty much know what to expect.
    Anyone heading Linkin Park on the 11th/15th?

I'd love to be going but they're on the night before Bon Jovi here and I just couldn't afford it as I still have to get my ticket for Soundwave.

Went to Bon Jovi on wednesday in Subi. Great gig. He really gives it his all. They did play a lot of new stuff which was a bit of a downer, but they played most of the classics too so i was happy :)

What was the story with putting seats on the grass?? I was in the stand, but i didnt see 1 person sitting on the grass. Why would they put them there? I know if i paid $300 or whatever it was to get down there, and found loads of chairs in my way id be pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭gOst

Thats my livelyhood ur talking about!! First job in Perth, stack and pack couple thousand white plastic chairs til 3 in the morning. Got a free ticket to the gig as well!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

Muse and Biffy will be quality. I've seen Muse seven times already so I pretty much know what to expect.

I'd love to be going but they're on the night before Bon Jovi here and I just couldn't afford it as I still have to get my ticket for Soundwave.

Yeah Muse are pretty fantastic live, though i still haven't made up my mind on them in an arena setting, like the wembley gig or festivals they don't really seem to rock as hard. Biffy are class though

Soundwave is gonna be SICK, queens headlining (you can't really care about iron maiden at this stage) is a dream come true

gOst wrote: »
    Thats my livelyhood ur talking about!! First job in Perth, stack and pack couple thousand white plastic chairs til 3 in the morning. Got a free ticket to the gig as well!:)

Nice perk! jaysus though, thats a lot of chairs to stack

Mackman wrote: »
    Went to Bon Jovi on wednesday in Subi. Great gig. He really gives it his all. They did play a lot of new stuff which was a bit of a downer, but they played most of the classics too so i was happy :)

What was the story with putting seats on the grass?? I was in the stand, but i didnt see 1 person sitting on the grass. Why would they put them there? I know if i paid $300 or whatever it was to get down there, and found loads of chairs in my way id be pissed.

Was a feckin great gig. He's still got it going on massively. The setlist was pretty much perfect. Bon Jovi were my first ever gig back in 2001 in the RDS and they didn't play Always. I was devastated but it's all good now.

Loved the stripped down versions of Someday I'll Be Saturday Night and Something For The Pain. It's great when bands do that sort of thing live.

I was far enough back (first section of the stand, dead centre) but my videos turned out ok sound wise.

• Advertisement

Was a feckin great gig. He's still got it going on massively. The setlist was pretty much perfect.

Take out that "Apology" song, and throw in "Blaze of Glory" and "In these Arms" and then it would have been perfect :)
    Loved the stripped down versions of Someday I'll Be Saturday Night and Something For The Pain. It's great when bands do that sort of thing live.

+1, it was really cool, they really seem to be a band that are still good friends, not just for show.
    I was far enough back (first section of the stand, dead centre) but my videos turned out ok sound wise.

I was around there too. if you saw a red headed woman screaming, jumping up and down and saying "ohmygodohmygodohmygod" for the 2.5 hours, that was my GF's sister :pac:

Advertisement