Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Student

Options
  • 10-09-2010 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

I wanted to know where I could buy the cheapest prepaid phone/plan with minimal talking and texting. I am only here for one semester, until the end of December. I can't just get a free SIM as my current US phone doesn't use one.

Thanks for the input.

Btw, there is no such thing as unlimited text here to anyone for cheap? Seems standard in the US.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

dgator wrote: »
    Hi,

I wanted to know where I could buy the cheapest prepaid phone/plan with minimal talking and texting. I am only here for one semester, until the end of December. I can't just get a free SIM as my current US phone doesn't use one.

Thanks for the input.

Btw, there is no such thing as unlimited text here to anyone for cheap? Seems standard in the US.

Most networks offer free texts to any netowrk as long as you top up by €20 per month. Meteor do this and also have phones from as cheap as €40 online

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Id say meteor is cheapest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

I'd say if its only for one semester, Tesco mobile would be your best bet.

€20 for a phone and double credit when you top up (buy €10 get €10 free etc..)

They're pretty cheap for texts and phone calls too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Have you looked at 3? €20 top up, €5 of which can be allocated to internet browsing, and free MSN and Skype(which might be handy to keep in touch with friends back home) all on their pay as you go SIM. Thats with unlimited texts and weekend calls to any network. Cheapest handset they have is €39, choice of INQ or Samsung(but i'd avoid the INQ-using one atm and its appaling!)
    Or you could buy a credit card sized mobile for about €20, had a relative visiting who uses this one and swears by it!
    http://www.gadgetfolder.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/simvalley_pico_rx-80_phone_credit_card_1-300x297.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

u mean the caped "unlimited" texts calls and internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

u mean the caped "unlimited" texts calls and internet?

Yeah, its capped by their fair usage policy, but seriously...
    Unlimited text and weekend talk are subject to fair usage of 3,000 texts and minutes per 30 day period.
    .....are you really gonna send more than 3000 texts AND calls in a month? Unless your going for the Guinness World record, i doubt it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dgator

My brother used 5000 + texts in a month, but in the US everything is by contracts. Pay $100 US for 4 cell phones a month. Unlimited text, free calling on network, nights and weekends free to anyone and don't know how many minutes we share, but we never go over.

Anyway, I went with O2, bought the nokia 2330 which was free if I bought the 70 euro top up credit. Texting is free for the month, calling is 30 cents a minute... but I don't plan on calling much.

Most importantly it came with a free headset that fits my US phone which US phone companies never supply and charge an extra $35 for the 1.8 mm special kind :cool:

...now to find an apartment

thanks guys :)

Advertisement