Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get money from my Irish acc. to my america acc.

Options
  • 10-09-2010 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭

Hi, i'm on a one year visa program in the united states and have both an irish (Bank of Ireland) and american (Bank of America) account, so far I've been mainly using my irish credit card to pay for things and paying it off using banking 365 online, which workes out quite well, however my visa requires that I have to have money in my account, to prove how much I have to live on and will need to pay bills etc. I tried to wire money online and there was a digit wrong in my US acc. no, so its got sent back with €50 less than i sent. Then when i did it right there is a €5 charge from bank of ireland, then a $13 from bank of america, and also invisible charges on the way there from other banks; Minus about another €50.

Now, I can't afford to lose this type of money at the moment and I'm wondering if anyone has a better way to transfer money to my US account. I was thinking of withdrawing here from an ATM with my Irish Credit Card (MasterCard) and then just depositing it in my account, but I'm afraid I'll get charged mad money again to do this, does anyone know what kind of ATM fees I would be looking at? I've only a little less than 1k left to transfer so we're not talking megabucks, but at the same time, its a lot for me. :(

Any advice appreciated,
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

Set up your two accounts on seperate paypal accounts, then paypal yourself the money, 5 euro fee would be the most you should have to pay

Also, write a check from your irish account to your american one. (If you have an irish check book)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Also, write a check from your irish account to your american one. (If you have an irish check book)

Irish cheque could take a couple of weeks to clear (if not longer) so this may not be the best option

Advertisement