Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolution's Reading Log

Options
  • 10-09-2010 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Note: There is nothing revolutionary about this reading log.

This reading log business seems a great idea.
    Figured this would be the best time to start one, as the weather will most likely have me trapped indoors during the Winter so I'll be reading more than ever.

I do not have a set list of books I plan to read. Personally I can't stand to be that organized. I rarely walk into a book shop or a libary with a book already in mind. I tend to let the book find me.

Anyone who feels compelled to recommend me a book please feel free to post. And don't hesitate to tell me that I'm an idiot/hero for hating/loving whatever book.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Stephen%20King%20-%20The%20Stand.jpg

I'll start off with the last book I read, The Stand by Stephen King. The copy I rented from my local libary was The Complete & Uncut Edition.

I'm a huge Stephen King fan, so I was always going to enjoy The Stand. About halfway through it I was already thinking this could be the best post-apocalyptic novel I've read. After finishing it I can say it most definitely is.
    The book opens with a soldier waking his family in the middle of the night to feel town. A top secret biological weapon had accidently been released at the facility he was stationed at. The biological weapon is a superflu devloped by the US military. The superflu spreads and kills the vast majority of the American population. The few remaining survivors, immune to the superflu, attempt to rebuild society, although each and everyone of them shares the same nightmare of an evil presence in the West seeking to destroy them...
    It has been hyped as King's best work, but I havn't read enough of his 30 odd books to give my opinion on that. What I will say, is that the ending of the book was far more satisfying than the endings of King's other epics, IT and The Dark Tower. I find that King is the master of foreplay, but sometimes disappoints with the finale. Thankfully, he wrapped up The Stand very nicely. The conclusion seemed much more thought out than the bizzare finale of IT. The Stand partially gave the readers what they wanted, whereas the ending of The Dark Tower left many frustrated. Out of the dozen or so King books that I have read, this certainly had the most pleasing ending.
    As always, King's eye for detail had me hooked from the first few pages. The depths he delves to when it comes to character's background are as impressive as ever. I still havn't found a sci-fi/horror writer who jumps into a character's history as far and as good as King does. In contrast, the lack of back story given about the antagonist makes the villian all the more intriguing.
    Every King fan will adore The Stand. If you've never read King before, this should be the book you start with. King fans who have yet to read this book, it delivers what IT and The Dark Tower couldn't, an ending suitable for the engaging build up before it.

Just picked up Mystic River by Dennis Lehane. I enjoyed Shutter Island by the same author and have heard good things about this.

mysticriver.jpg

Finished Mystic River today.
    Fantastic crime writing by Lehane. The book races along at a quick pace. The tension constantly builds. Lehane uses a large cast of characters, most worthy of our suspicion, all of them engaging. At one point I was certain I knew how the book would conclude, only for a plot twist to throw my theory out of the water. At which point, I mulled over what had happened so far and formed another theory, which I had confidence in. Again, the plot twists and i'm left feeling stupid. Which could be a sign of a great "Whodunit" crime novel, or a reader who is far less clever than he thinks. Definitely the former, probably the latter too.

If you've seen the film adaption of Mystic River I'd appreciate if you could post telling me if it's worth watching.

Just laid my hands on Animal Farm, by George Orwell. Read 1984 a few years, don't know why I avoided Animal Farm for so long. I should be finished it in a few days.

animal_farm.jpg

Animal Farm, by George Orwell.
    A masterpiece satirical work parodying the social order, specifically in post-revolution communist Russia. The book is so easy to read, and could be finished in one sitting. More enjoyable than 1984 because it's not as terrifying, and equally as important in a political sense. Almost 70 years since this was first published, and it's as relevant today as ever. A great read for almost all ages, even if the historical symbolism will be lost on younger readers.

• Advertisement

Next up Cormac McCarthy's No Country For Old Men. Havn't seen the film so I don't know what to expect. Loved The Road by the same author so hopefully this is as good or better, although hopefully not as depressing!

Not No Country For Old Men as promised but Less Than Zero, by Bret Easton Ellis.

41hIk33Nk-L._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA250_Less-Than-Zero.jpg

Bret Easton Ellis perfects the use of minimalism in Less Than Zero. The comparison on the blurb between this and Catcher In The Rye are not completely without merit, but altough I really enjoyed this book, it is not quite in the same league as Catcher. The book is a great read though, and like Catcher it is probably best read during the reader's teenage years. I enjoyed it so much I immediately went out and got the newly realised sequel to Less Than Zero, which is named Imperial Bedrooms. I'll get around to reading it shortly.

Advertisement