Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent allowance question

• 10-09-2010 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all. First post on this website. I am wondering if anybody here can help me out. What are the exact conditions for getting rent allowance. I have been recently been made redundant and need to find somewhere more affordable. My plan is to use my redundancy and jobseekers benefit to fund the first six months but by then money will be very very tight. I want to be sure that I will be entitled to it if the worst comes to the worst and I don't have a job by then.

From my research it appears that you must be living in shared accomodation. Am I correct with this. Can I not claim Rent Allowance if I am living in a 1-bedroom apartment?

Many thanks in advance.

Edit: I think I answered my own question. The limit for Single person in shared accomodation is €285. Does this mean that if I was living alone, the rent would have to be less than €285/month.

Another question: if I get accepted for Rent Allowance and I wanted to move, would I be entitled to carry on receiving Rent Allowance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Where are you living OP?

The limit for shared accom in Dublin is under €400 pm so I am not sure that would be such a huge difference elsewhere in Dublin.

The www.welfare,ie has the relevant info, but gosh, it can be hell's bells trying to circumnavigate that info.

The limit for living alone in Dublin is around €510-20, so the reality is only grim bedsits are available atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

All info here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/supplementary-welfare-schemes/rent_supplement

You don't have to be in shared accommodation.

You don't need to wait till your redundancy is used up before applying as you will see from info in the above link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Reading the official site there and just a little question just to I understand it.

Im in Cork, if a place is €500 a month, and the Cork maximum is €468, this means I wouldn't get rent allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wa

Darlughda wrote: »
    Where are you living OP?

The limit for shared accom in Dublin is under €400 pm so I am not sure that would be such a huge difference elsewhere in Dublin.

The www.welfare,ie has the relevant info, but gosh, it can be hell's bells trying to circumnavigate that info.

The limit for living alone in Dublin is around €510-20, so the reality is only grim bedsits are available atm.

I'm living in Dundalk, Louth. How can I find out what the limit is for somebody living alone. The information isn't anywhere I searched for it.

Thanks for the replies folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

• Advertisement
Advertisement