Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories of Christmas Childhood

Options
  • 10-09-2010 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

What are your memories?

I grew up in the 80s and this is what I remember.

Christmas trees around town with big light-bulb size coloured lights.

Lots of tinsel - wearing some made into a halo for the school nativity play.

Singing for Christmas carols down town.

Going to Mass one night and leaving to find it snowing with a carpet of snow over the car park. Magic.

Sitting in Midnight Mass thinking that Santa wasn't too far away!

Putting lots of shiny decorations up on the ceiling. Usually diagonally across the ceiling. We also put up balloons and had great fun bursting them as the season went on.

Christmas morning of course! Usually we would get up ridiculously early only for Dad to shout to get back to bed, that Santa was still downstairs!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Being under the tree at 5am waiting for my Mum to get up so we could open the presents, sneakily slipping the fudge out of the selection box without opening it. Used to love it under the tree with all the colourful lights above.

Oh and this lad!

il_fullxfull.170297446.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

The excitement going to pick the tree from the garden centre with dad.

Pulling the decorations down from the attic, and draping ourselves in all the tinsel while watching Christmas movies.

Walking down the road, in the dark, after school, and getting a warm and fuzzy feeling seeing the glow of the Christmas tree and all it's lights in the front window.

Helping mum make the Christmas cake but not be able to stir the mix cause I wasn't strong enough :o

Absolutely hyper hanging our stockings on our bedroom door handles and shutting my eyes really tight, wishing myself to go asleep so that the morning would be there sooner.

Opening my eyes in the morning...and thinking "What day is it?" and then the realisation hits...it's Christmas!! Then coming out into the hall to see the stocking gone, and Santa's dust (glitter :P) on the carpet, leading down the stairs! :eek: I'd wake my brother, and then we would creep into my parent's bedroom, and on the count of 3, LEAP onto their bed screaming "It's Christmas! It's Christmas!" Apparently, they always knew we were coming cause we were so noisy, so much for 'whispering' :P

Then dad would have to gone downstairs to 'check Santie had been' (a.k.a. getting the fire going, turning on the lights, and putting the kettle on). And breakfast would be the head of a chocolate Santa. I remember bursting into tears one Christmas morning because I was so happy! It's on video too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Oh and this lad!

il_fullxfull.170297446.jpg

We had ones just like that :D Does he have a piece of white plastic behind him to attach to the tree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Even now, at 27 years of age, if I have to get up really, really early, having the lights on in the bedroom when its still dark outside makes me think of Christmas morning. Every single time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

My earliest xmas memory ever is when i was maybe about 3 or 4 and coming downstairs with my parents really quietly and my dad saying to wait there so he could see if Santa had gone yet because if santa thought i was awake then i wouldnt get the presents. then opening up all my presents and I had a red chimney house, a yellow teapot house ( its funny how i remember all of what i got on the first xmas i remember), 2 talking dolls which i thought were the greatest ever! ( i still have them to date and they still work). :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I got an electric train set one year {Lima} It was the best thing I had ever got. I remember the excitment it was magical:)
    Always loved sitting next to the open fire watching movies on TV.:) Yeah happy days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

Well since it's me. It has to be a disaster of course. I was 5 or 6 at the time I think. It was x-mas eve and I was at that age santa was the biggest thing ever and couldn't wait. I remember my brother and sister who were about 10 years older than me. So in comes my mother and loses the plot. The fire was ligthing and so grabbed trddy bears and other stuff and through them into it. Then she went up into the attic and took the boxes down for the tree and stuff and packed all the stuff away. We didn''t have Christmas that year. It's no wonder I'm so obsessed with it now. Sad thing is it's the truth:(

cooltown wrote: »
    Well since it's me. It has to be a disaster of course. I was 5 or 6 at the time I think. It was x-mas eve and I was at that age santa was the biggest thing ever and couldn't wait. I remember my brother and sister who were about 10 years older than me. So in comes my mother and loses the plot. The fire was ligthing and so grabbed trddy bears and other stuff and through them into it. Then she went up into the attic and took the boxes down for the tree and stuff and packed all the stuff away. We didn''t have Christmas that year. It's no wonder I'm so obsessed with it now. Sad thing is it's the truth:(

Did you miss out a line or did she just randomly lose the plot?

I remember my mam chucking the turkey half way up the back garden because my dad was being a prick. My brother gave it a bath and stuck it back in the oven :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

being convinced you heard/seen Santas' sleigh at night.

Being told 'See that Robin over there? Thats Santass' spy, he tells Santa who's neing good or not' I Hated That F***in Robin.

The smell of the Christmas Tree all around the house.

When the Toy book arrives in the post! Happy days!

Day trip to Dublin for Christmas Shopping, Arnotts window.
    Hawkers sellin Toblerones.

Willie Wonka and the choclate factory in front of huge coal fire while slowly falling asleep.

I can remember always being amazed that whatever santa brought my father always had the right size batteries upstairs. For years i was convinced he just kept a stockpile of them.

Mechano...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Going into town to see Switzers window display,they were magic.

Going to see Santa in the Lego world in Arnotts.

The auld wans selling anything and everything on Henry street.

The smell of the xmas tree all over the house.

Me Da' going to the chipper on xmas eve because me Ma' wasn't cooking!

The smells coming from the kitchen on xmas day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

- Real Christmas trees no crappy fake ones.
    - Decorating the tree and placing the angel my grandfather made on the top.
    - A nice fire going in the sitting room.
    - Being in pj's for a week solid.
    - The Late Late Toy Show with Gay Bourne :D
    - Helping Mam make the jelly.
    - The Muppet's Christmas special movie.
    - My mother making three turkeys!!!
    - Having the whole family in the one house for dinner, 7 sisters 4 brothers + partners and kids hence the three turkeys.
    - Waking up early for the presents.
    - Leaving Christmas cake and milk out for Santy and a carrot out for Rudolf
    - Going visiting my cousins!

So many more but i'll be going on forever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

cooltown wrote: »

God that is so sad. I'm sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

In our house we used to open the presents under the tree after dinner on Christmas Eve, and only Santa presents (ie, mine) were for Christmas morning. I used to get up at about 6am, would watch the special Christmas episode of The Den with Ray and Zig and Zag while opening the presents.

Those were good times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

lord lucan wrote: »
    Me Da' going to the chipper on xmas eve because me Ma' wasn't cooking!

We always go to the chipper on Christmas Eve!! I love it! We go to Hillbillies in Cork - best fried chicken EVER!! It's a tradition - no cooking on Christmas Eve! Well apart from the little nibbles i like to throw in the oven like mini quiches and cocktail sausages wrapped in bacon....yum!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

One of the things I'll still swear blind to, is sneaking a glimpse at Santa.
    My older sister & I used to share a room, just a bedside locker separated our beds, and we would hang our stockings on our bedside lockers (later changed to the foot of our bed lol).
    I remember hearing a noise and waking up, I peeked my eye open & saw something in red between our beds, my heart was going 90 & I scrunched my eyes closed til the 'something' left. As soon as the door closed over I opened my eyes to see my sister staring back at me, we both had that 'did you just see that?!' look, and then half scared to speak incase Santa did come back, and whispered that we both best get back to sleep quick! Such an story to tell our parents the next morning!! :D

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'm 21, but there's still Santa believing kids in the house so I get to relive the magic of Christmas as a child every year :) Although this may be the last one, they're getting big :(

The main attraction in this house are the Christmas lights. Whatever it is about this time of year, Dad just loves it. The effort he puts into everything is incredible. The house is usually bathed in hundreds of sets of CHristmas lights which we have built up over the years, including a giant inflatable snowman and some other random bits and bobs. Dad's getting older so it isn't as spectacular as it used to be (people used to come out to see the house, and the neighbours often didn't bother with their own lights because they looked so pathetic beside ours :P). People often joked that we might get planes landing in the garden it was so well lit up :D

Another thing Dad never really skimped on was playing the roll of Santa. Obviously the man himself is too busy sometimes to make the effort at this time of year, so Dad has done some mad stuff over the years. On the lead up to Christmas, letters are put in the fireplace one night and by the morning they've been replaced by a note from Santa saying he's gotten them. As a kid, Dad used to do some insane stuff on the night. To name but a few:

One night, Mum and him got out the video camera (still on tape back then, a massive yoke!) and Dad dressed up as Santa, while Mum recorded him in the sitting room putting some of the toys out through a peeked door. We obviously though this was freaking phenomenal stuff, and the kids in school thought I was lying :P

Another year, Dad must've heard that I was still awake at a late time, and obviously needed to get started getting the sitting room set up (there's a lot of kids in the house :P) so he got up on the roof and stomped around above my room shaking some bells to make it sound like reindeer. I was so insanely terrified that I mightn't get my presents that it wasn't long before I forced myself to fall asleep :P

Finally, and my personal favourite this one, one morning, my older brother Ben was DISMAYED to find that his bike had not arrived on the morning. Dan, always the Oscar worthy actor began wondering why it wasn't there, and suggested that maybe he couldn't fit it down the chimney as it was so big. So we decided to have a look outside. No sign. That is until someone noticed something on the roof. Yes, that's right, Santa had failed to get the bike down the chimney and has instead tied it to the very same :D we all thought it was hilarious, except for Ben :P

Right, this has gotten long, I'll leave it at that for now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I think the best thing is just being together. That lovely feeling of togetherness that you get at birthdays and when there are special achievements are just magnified umpteen fold at Christmas

I have my own family now and they all still believe in Santa so we are having some great times and there are photos and videos that we will cherish forever.

Of course we have the fire going, the chocolates, the smell of dinner, the movies on TV, the panto at the Gaiety or the Olympia and seeing so many people in such a short space of time is exhausting.

When I was a kid the thing that sticks with me the most was a very light snowfall one year (maybe 1980 or so) when we were coming back from midnight mass (real midnight mass back then !). Now that was Christmas.

Ultimately it's just being together and that is why the news stories about people coming home for Christmas always brings a tear to my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

When I was about 7 I think I got a bike off santa. The night before, my dad assembled the bike himself. Really excited I took the bike out on xmas morning, and it wasn't long before my dad realized he had put the pedals on backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

just the cosiness of it all, the fire going, the running downstairs and looking through the door at the presents laid on the floor in front of the tree,in the sitting room, the special treats like a bottle of red lemonade or lilt with dinner, or watching a film or telling stories, and relatives calling with presents and having a drink. This was back in the 70's when people didn't have what they have now, and everything was special.

One Christmas memory in particular we got a delivery from new york. It was a fancy gold coloured box of chocolates. The day after Christmas when the excitement was all done, and we were all sitting down watching a film on tv (black and white), my mum produces the box of chocolates and makes a big deal of opening the box. Once the box was opened there was the most delicate tissue paper covering the most beautiful sweets - we all gasped when she took the tissue paper away - we had never seen anything quite like it - (we were too used to getting the "lemon's seasons greetings" toffo's and other tooth pulling sweets) and it was just magical. I can still picture the scene, standing beside my three sisters and my mum sitting down and us all gasping in awe, at the delicate tissue paper and the gold box and the selection of sweets. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭weatherguy

* getting up at 4am Christmas morning and sneaking downstairs to see what Santa left for me
    * trying to set up my train set
    * Christmas wrapping paper strewn all over the place
    * Mother being sick in bed
    * Father going on the piss
    * Xmas dinner not being cooked 'cos mother sick in bed and father drunk

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What are your memories?

I grew up in the 80s and this is what I remember.

Christmas trees around town with big light-bulb size coloured lights.

Lots of tinsel - wearing some made into a halo for the school nativity play.

Singing for Christmas carols down town.

Going to Mass one night and leaving to find it snowing with a carpet of snow over the car park. Magic.

Sitting in Midnight Mass thinking that Santa wasn't too far away!

Putting lots of shiny decorations up on the ceiling. Usually diagonally across the ceiling. We also put up balloons and had great fun bursting them as the season went on.

Christmas morning of course! Usually we would get up ridiculously early only for Dad to shout to get back to bed, that Santa was still downstairs!

Did we grow up in the same house? lol, they are pretty much my childhood memories of Christmas too!! :D

Advertisement