Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router

Options
  • 10-09-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

Is there any way to boost the signal from a wireless router?

I am utterly clueless on these things, so any pointers would be gratefully accepted!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

What is it that you're trying to achieve? Most routers don't allow you to increase the output power as it's regulated at specific levels in different countries. Also, depending on what you're trying to achieve, it might not help the situation. Wireless communication is a 2-way conversation and simply having one end shout louder can sometimes make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

The signal from the router does not get as far as apple tv thing upstairs, which basically renders the apple tv useless (actually I think it's pretty useless anyways - worst buy ever...)

Are any of the following an option :

1. Ethernet cable from router to Apple TV device
    2. Moving the router and Apple TV device closer together
    3. Buying another router to extend the wireless coverage?

Do you have a laptop with wireless that you could use to measure the strength of the signal where the Apple TV device is located? If the laptop's wireless is compatible with Netstumbler then it can give you a reasonable idea of whether or not the signal is just marginal or totally useless as is.

Can't run a cable unfortunately, nor shift the two closer together. I did not realise it was possible to buy another router to extend the coverage, that sounds like a plan! Thanks for the help.

....I did not realise it was possible to buy another router to extend the coverage....

There are lot of discussions on similar scenarios in the Wireless forum if you wanna browse through them to get an idea of what's involved. Main thing is - don't rush in and make sure you get the right router.

• Advertisement

thanks again - checking this out, it all looks a wee bit complex and think I will have to draft in a techie friend to sort it out.

Advertisement