Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Harbour Seaplane

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

biko wrote: »
    Has it ever occurred to you they may be right in wanting to take it slow and not rush in to things?

How is it going to be rushed? Its a prop driven sea plane, needs no runway, relavitely flat waters and a pontoon to moor on, where is the rush?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

For the good An Taisce do it is massively overshadowed by the levels of teeth grinding they cause due to objections.

It's like they have some kind of computer game style bonus multiplier for

m-m-multiobjection!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Galway version of An Taisce is a particularly loathsome small minded unaccountable and ultimately sociopathic cabaal of eco fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The Galway version of An Taisce is a particularly loathsome small minded unaccountable and ultimately sociopathic cabaal of eco fascists.

...and the sad thing is they'd/he'd probably welcome your scathingly accurate description of them. They'd welcome it as some sort of badge of honour. They probably get off on this sort of thing, like some sort of misguided crusaders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

“While we must admire the confidence of the proposers of this business venture, it must be noted that we do not believe that such a service can survive in the current difficult financial climate.

Typical Irish attitude. :mad:
    Some company comes up with a new idea and people outside it just sit back and knock it!
    Though flying boats to Foynes isn't a new idea if you want to to be pedantic.
    Anyway, all credit to this company for trying to make it work and providing jobs.

An Taisce can certainly request a study on the environmental impact.
    But it is not their place to decide which businesses can succed or fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Typical Irish attitude. :mad:
    Some company comes up with a new idea and people outside it just sit back and knock it!
    Though flying boats to Foynes isn't a new idea if you want to to be pedantic.
    Anyway, all credit to this company for trying to make it work and providing jobs.

An Taisce can certainly request a study on the environmental impact.
    But it is not their place to decide which businesses can succed or fail.

What the hell would Hambleton and Co. know about business??!! He should stick to driving his taxi*...actually maybe if he did more of that he'd have less time for interfering with other people.

* I'd love to hear what other taxi drivers think of him. He must be a barrel of laughs on the rank :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I could not beleive when I read the City Tribune that An Taisce have now become involved in business telling Harbour Air they are not going to succeed in what they are planning to do. They have a bloody cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

http://www.galwaynews.ie/16397-galway-seaplane-base-gets-planning-go-ahead

GALWAY SEAPLANE BASE GETS PLANNING GO-AHEAD
    December 3, 2010 - 3:08pm

The final planning hurdle for a seaplane service between Galway and Limerick has been passed.

An Bord Pleanála has given the go ahead to Harbour Flights Ireland Limited to install floating pontoons, an access gangway, and mooring anchors at Galway Docks.

The development had been appealed to the Board by environmental group, An Taisce.

CEO of Harbour Flights Ireland, Emelyn Heaps, says they will now apply for a licence for the flight service.

They said way more in yesterdays Sentinel but i do not think they have a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I wonder how much it would cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Steyr wrote: »

The development had been appealed to the Board by environmental group, An Taisce.
    Why, do you know?

I would consider myself environmentally aware in a moderate, common sense sort of way, but I can't see the problem with this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

Why, do you know?

I would consider myself environmentally aware in a moderate, common sense sort of way, but I can't see the problem with this.

Oh, my dear boy, if the point of An Taisce was the environment then you'd be on to something, however it seems that those ****ers are on a permanent mission to keep Galway in the 19th Century.... a permanent power trip.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Why, do you know?
    Pavlovian conditioning and fears of a bird massacre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

So is this service between Galway and the Aran Island's, or Galway and Limerick?

I'am a bit mystified by the need of a service between here and Lmerick, as we have ongoing construction of a Motorway and a recently reopened rail service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Having been to the Cork launch of this service, the transport side of things is not expected to be the big seller, rather photo and tourist trips and around Ireland by air in hops.

IMO, the little seaplane that I saw, was too small for commercial success, unless the fee were very high [like Celtic Tiger high], otherwise bringing a party of fishermen to remote waterways for a day's fishing and back home later on and other such trips seems a fine idea.

They do have plans to introduce the flying boats which, IMO is the real key to success.

As all businesses must have a business plan, ferrying passengers between set routes has to be there so one can show a certain cash flow [potential].

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with last thread where an objection was lodged. That thread also has routes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Robbo wrote: »
    Pavlovian conditioning and fears of a bird massacre.

Ah jaysus, tbh.
    ... is a sea plane service with scheduled return flights from Foynes in County Limerick to Galway Harbour, from Galway harbour to Inis Mor, Aran Islands.
    Ok, Galway to Foynes is NOT Galway to Limerick by a long shot, and I can't see that getting much commercial traffic, even if reasonably priced, as the only real advantage of a direct link (speed) is greatly reduced ... tourist, maybe, who knows.

I do agree with biko that a direct Galway - Aran flight would be popular, but it would be competition for Aer Arann at a time they can ill afford it.

Tbh, half an hour spins around Galway Bay at a reasonable price would probably be more popular than either.

Advertisement