Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

language barrier in work

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It seems to me that this is a classic case of a problem that is actually an opportunity in disguise.

I'd give my eyeteeth to be working in an environment of native speakers.

I can see the point of view of your boss - it's not to the company's advantage that this particular worker (you) should be fluent in German, so why should they pay for it. They'll get no advantage whatsoever from it.

But you will get a big advantage, OP, if you pay for German classes for yourself, and then start using German a little, gradually, with your workmates, who will explain idioms to you, help you with grammar, correct your pronunciation.

At first, it will just be a phrase here and there, but as you get more fluent you'll start to use more phrases of German with them, and they with you.

At the same time, you'll be doing your work in English, as intended. So the company will be gaining from your work and your fluency in English, but you'll also be gaining fluency in German, which gives you an extra skill.

And it will help you to build your relationship with your co-workers, which has to be good too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Your boss' response ws a little disingenuous, I fell. If he genuinely can't see the benefits of staff being able to communicate with one antoher and feeling comfortable around one another, you'd have to wonder what his people management skills are like.

I would start learning German pretty fast in your situation; you'll probably find that you've subconsciously picked up some words and expressions already and it's only when you come across them in another situation that you'll realise what you've been hearing.

Meanwhile if you get involved in conversations and start speaking German, there's a good chance your poor grammar and vocabulary will annoy them so much they'll speak English rather than put up with your torturing their tongue ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Your boss' response ws a little disingenuous, I fell. If he genuinely can't see the benefits of staff being able to communicate with one antoher and feeling comfortable around one another, you'd have to wonder what his people management skills are like.

Oh, I expect there is something else going on here - if the Irish boy can speak German, where is the justification for have them over in Dublin on high expat salaries etc.... ;)

Jim...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

How friendly are you with your colleagues generally? Why not say that hanging around them has encouraged you to go and do a German course and that you'd love to try speaking German with them some time once you've learned a few words?
    (Plamás, I believe it is called as Gaeilge ;-) )

I speak German with a native German colleague at work and she doesn't mind at all if I make mistakes - sometimes she can't remember the right German word either ;-)

Advertisement