Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

999 or 911

• 10-09-2010 11:01am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Always wondered why there is not an international agreed emergency phone number. We use 999 the US used 911 and other countries use different variations. This is madness as a tourist in any country will not know which number is in use. Americans wil dial 911 here in Ireland in an emergency and get nothing. I asked my young daughter once what number she would ring in an emergency and she said 911:eek: Watching too many US shows.
    Has any attempt ever been made to agree on an international number?
    Why cant 911 in this country automatically transfer to 999?

Just a few thoughts:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I use 112 ;)

ya I do think it should be a world wide number 999 911 or what ever is decide on it would not be that hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

112 is the agreed European number for emergency services, I think it even works in a mobile phone with no sim card inserted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Always 999 for me, although I suspect there might be an age issue at play here, with those over a certain age automatically using 999, and those younger tending towards the newer 911 (or is it 112)? Personally I've had 'Emergency 999' ingrained in my brain since being a nipper.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

LordSutch wrote: »
    those younger tending towards the newer 911.
    i don't think that's a valid number here - plus, it's got a 9 in it, which 112 deliberately avoided because it takes longer to dial on a rotary phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

We use 000

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Zambia232 wrote: »
    We use 000
    Well thats my whole point, different countries using different numbers. It makes no sense in this day of mass travell. If you are in another country and need to contact the emergency services...you could well be in trouble if you don't know the local number:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

911 will get u through to the emergency service here also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Beeker wrote: »
    Well thats my whole point, different countries using different numbers. It makes no sense in this day of mass travell. If you are in another country and need to contact the emergency services...you could well be in trouble if you don't know the local number:(

If you're travelling to another country it's your responsibility to know the local emergency number.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

cushtac wrote: »
    If you're travelling to another country it's your responsibility to know the local emergency number.
    Sure but how many do?

well 112 is the international GSM standard. Thats a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

The Swiss ones are:

Police: 117
    Fire Brigade: 118
    Ambulance: 144

I assume that 112 works, I've never had to use it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how many languages are the emergency phone number people in ireland able to cope with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Bumder

I saw an advertisement recently about this very topic. Because everyone was getting confused they were planning on changing the number to 0118 999 881 999 119 725 (slight pause) 3. The add actually had a very catchy jingle to it. Think it was only in the UK though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Use 112 anywhere in EU, it'll direct you to a local emergency operator.

999 is old school for UK and Ireland.

911 is for US/CA, never used it here but guess some kids will as they've seen it used on so many American movies. Did you know it started in Canada and then spread to US? Anyway, if it's not working now it should be set up here too.

In Sweden you can ring 11414 for non-emergency stuff, like tip-offs, report a burglary, ask about passports etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Don't worry if your kids have been influenced by trashy yank TV and dial 911 - although it is not officially an emergency number here it WILL connect them to the emergency operator.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Actually I have to correct you there del. The number for all emergency services is changing...

delancey42 wrote: »
    Don't worry if your kids have been influenced by trashy yank TV and dial 911 - although it is not officially an emergency number here it WILL connect them to the emergency operator.

yeah due to the budget cuts its now 1500 999 112 and you need to listen to the sponsored messages prior to connecting.

note call charges may vary. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

There seems to be at least one thread a month in relation to phones and

emergency numbers this past few months :pac:

Good point , but I'm sure you'll agree that is preferable to another tedious thread about the legality or otherwise of blue/green/red/orange/pink flashing lights on vehicles other than ES - I don't think I could take another one of those.........:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

LordSutch wrote: »
    Always 999 for me, although I suspect there might be an age issue at play here, with those over a certain age automatically using 999, and those younger tending towards the newer 911 (or is it 112)? Personally I've had 'Emergency 999' ingrained in my brain since being a nipper.

I think 911 or 112 are better as kids are more likely to press 999 by accident then the other two numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

in germany the numbers are 110 and 112. one of them is for serious emergencies....not sure which one though!!!

New Zealand = 111

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

i don't think that's a valid number here - plus, it's got a 9 in it, which 112 deliberately avoided because it takes longer to dial on a rotary phone.
    Hello? Caller, please press Button B now. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭PetrovthePrat

how many languages are the emergency phone number people in ireland able to cope with?

English, French, Irish and Polish are catered for, and the operators are trained to phrase questions in a fashion that non English speakers may find easier to understand. Doesn't help much with some of the "richer" accents from Dublin or Cork tho. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

dialling 112 anywhere in europe will connect u to an operator that speaks english, that's all I know :)

Huh .... thats a big statement.

Because logically the 112 simply re-routes to the local emergency number. As long as the emergency operator in the country in question can speak engilish your fine.

So for your statement to be true the following needs to be true.

"All Emergency operators in Europe speak English"

Any reponses on that one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Its interesting

The US and Canada use 911 but THE POLICE AND OTHER AGENCIES use "999" if they need assistance,etc........ (They call out 999 on thier radios)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

esel wrote: »
    Hello? Caller, please press Button B now. :D

Starts walkman

• Advertisement

It's shocking that Gardai in dangerous situations have to call 999/112 for back up because their radios have let them down :eek:

Although maybe with the new Tetra system that will be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭999nobody

Dude111 wrote: »
    Its interesting

The US and Canada use 911 but THE POLICE AND OTHER AGENCIES use "999" if they need assistance,etc........ (They call out 999 on thier radios)

This wasn't my experience while I worked in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Hmmmmmm I have heard several Police depts using '999' on the radio when they needed assistance.....

Ah well......

"999 officer needs assistance" is heard.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I reckon if somebody did a Q&A Vox Pop on Grafton Street it would be 80%+ for 999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

asking why there isnt a worldwide number for emergency services is like asking why isnt there a universal numbering for feet sizes. you`ve got us, uk, european, japan, cm and probably others too. :rolleyes:

wreckless wrote: »
    asking why there isnt a worldwide number for emergency services is like asking why isnt there a universal numbering for feet sizes. you`ve got us, uk, european, japan, cm and probably others too. :rolleyes:

It's a worldwide standard to use capital letters? :rolleyes: Let him who is without sin etc

GSM is a global standard for mobile phones.

GSM uses 112.

Ergo 112 = Global standard for ES from Mobiles.

It would not be hard to introduce it to landlines in all countries that also operate GSM.

How many great things do we have now because somebody somewhere said "Why do we...."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

An interesting snippet I read today, telephone service providers are obliged to pay a fee (€2.23) per emergency call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

maglite wrote: »
    An interesting snippet I read today, telephone service providers are obliged to pay a fee (€2.23) per emergency call.

Too who ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Conduit/BT

Advertisement