Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby born in Ireland of American Mother and Irish Father

Options
  • 10-09-2010 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am Irish, my wife is american and we are due our first child. Does anyone know the procedure for dual citizenship or obtaining an american passport for the child?

Regards

D

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm sure these guys might be able to help out...

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Thanks for that Drav, I will have a look through that and see what i can find.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

no worries...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Thats perfect Marco_polo. Exactly what i was looking for!

You just can't beat boards!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I didn't think you could have dual citizenship with America?

I thought to have American citizenship you have to give up any other citizenship you might have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

Thats perfect Marco_polo. Exactly what i was looking for!

You just can't beat boards!
    Well actually you just can't beat google which would have been quicker and less effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

SugarHigh wrote: »

I thought to have American citizenship you have to give up any other citizenship you might have.

A friend of mine was born in the States to Irish parents and came back here as a child. He holds two passports.

I belive you can have dual citizenship. My wife is going through the lengthy process of getting it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Nope, my sister's boyfriend has both Irish and American citizenship. He uses his American passport to fly out to America and his Irish passport when he comes to Ireland so he gets to skip all the immigration queues... Jealous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

Ive got dual usa/irish citizenship. Born in usa to irish mother. Shouldnt be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nope. I'm not sure if they do dual citizenship with everywhere but they do it with here....worse eejits, but there ye go....

lizt wrote: »
    Nope, my sister's boyfriend has both Irish and American citizenship. He uses his American passport to fly out to America and his Irish passport when he comes to Ireland so he gets to skip all the immigration queues... Jealous!

That's a great idea. I use my wife. I go to the residents line when i am in america alongside her. All i get is a dirty look! Now for me to get an American passport is really tough. When my brother married his american girlfriend he had to get bank statements and letters from people over there to stay that they would support them if they couldn't get work and on top of that, they had to give the american revenue a bunch of money in respect of his wife's wages for the last ten years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That's a great idea. I use my wife. I go to the residents line when i am in america alongside her. All i get is a dirty look! Now for me to get an American passport is really tough. When my brother married his american girlfriend he had to get bank statements and letters from people over there to stay that they would support them if they couldn't get work and on top of that, they had to give the american revenue a bunch of money in respect of his wife's wages for the last ten years!

...its vital that she pays that though. Otherwise they won't be able to make conversation over the wastage of the 'tax dollar' with other Americans, and be singled out as odd.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...its vital that she pays that though. Otherwise they won't be able to make conversation over the wastage of the 'tax dollar' with other Americans, and be singled out as odd.

I like it!

Absolutely:cool:

Hope yer missus doesn't read this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From After Hours to Baby forum.
    Congrats btw :)

biko wrote: »
    From After Hours to Baby forum.
    Congrats btw :)

Thanks Biko. Due tomorrow she is. We are going for a walk now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

If you're born in America, you're an automatic citizen until you're 18.
    Not sure how it works if you're born abroad to an American parent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

A US citizen can pass citizenship to a child born abroad provided they have lived in the US for a minimum of 5 years, 2 of which must be after the age of 14. You may need to provide evidence of this when applying for a passport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

OP - Easy. I'm US-born & bred, but married an Irish lad & we live here. We've since had 2 girls here, and I've looked into getting them their US citizenship. Hit the US embassy site, it gives all the details.

It's actually a very simple process, and costs about USD $200 (I think?). No one has to give up their original passports, and I think it's a great idea in today's world to have dual-citizenship.

If your spouse decides to get his/her US citizenship as well, it can be a bit trickier (esp if you're planning on staying in Ireland). We've found it's easier to get the kid's passports first, then the spouse has a greater claim to citizenship.

As far as the Irish citizenship goes, it's automatic to any child born here. The American spouse can easily get their Irish passport - it's residency for 3 years, then fill out the paperwork & get the citizenship within a few years after. I've lived here (& been a legal resident) since 2005 and have until 2012 to register as a citizen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ayla wrote: »
    As far as the Irish citizenship goes, it's automatic to any child born here. The American spouse can easily get their Irish passport - it's residency for 3 years, then fill out the paperwork & get the citizenship within a few years after. I've lived here (& been a legal resident) since 2005 and have until 2012 to register as a citizen.
    That is no longer true ,the child is only entitled to irish citizenship if one of the parents is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That is no longer true ,the child is only entitled to irish citizenship if one of the parents is.

Sorry, you're right. I was assuming that - in the context of this thread - that one of the parents would be Irish, however I can see how it wouldn't be true for everyone.

Advertisement